Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rod Building Weekend 29-30 March

Re: Rod Building Weekend 29-30 March

Firstly, thanks to Greg and Sue for making their home available to this bunch of strays. Fantastic hospitality, much appreciated, and I don't know that I've had a better steak.

Roz, what can I say. Given your recent circumstances, just a gutsy effort to still be available to drive this bus and make it happen. Mate, i take my hat off to you.

Stu, Dave and Phil...for having the time and patience to guide us newbies through the step by step stuff which you would almost take for granted....thanks muchly. I'm still working out how to get 6 thumbs out of the way, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

And to every other bloke there whose company, sharing of advice and experience made it such a fantastic weekend, thank you.

Roz, take it as read, i'm sending my cash to reserve a seat at next years' bash.

Thanks everybody, I'm looking forward to sharing successes this coming year. And hopefully get out to catch a fish with a rod when built.

Roz & Phil, you are a pair of champions! Like the rest of the crew, I just turned up and everything was magically set-up. I was especially impressed by the esky full of energy drinks!!! Great organisation from the hosts, Greg and Sue.

I came with a bare blank and a set of guides, and left not just with something that looks like a fishing rod, but also with a great set of memories and fantastic experience (minus Stu's contributions to global warming).

It was great to finally put some faces to names and meet up with Roz, Ian, Stu and Dazza again.

Wow - I had an awesome time - was only going to attend Saturday but ended up there Sunday as well.

Lunch was great, I felt like a beginner doing my guide wraps again - had to cut them all off when I got home and re-do them properly...This time I didn't slice any more finger off

Roz, Stu, Phill, Greg & Sue, & all who attended - great meeting and spending time with you all. The sharing of information is what really attracts me to these events. Thank you all for making the weekend a real highlight for me.

Best regards
    Dave

PS - one day I hope to be able to weave a morwong as well as Stu can LOL

hate to sound like a broken record but once again i would really like to thank all for organising and hosting it, was great and very informative! great food to!
    now to finish off the rod.... CP on so shouldnt be to long, but that still wont mean im able to use it! still need to invest in a decent reel

Sounds like a fantastic weekend had by all. It's a rare thing for a group of Rodbuilding fanatics to be able to get together like this. If you have any vacancies for next year, I would like to put my name down as a starter. I may be able to help out in some way and get away from the dust for a while?

Best regards
    Mark
    Outback Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic weekend had by all. It's a rare thing for a group of Rodbuilding fanatics to be able to get together like this. If you have any vacancies for next year, I would like to put my name down as a starter. I may be able to help out in some way and get away from the dust for a while?

Best regards
    Mark
    Outback Rods
    Would be great to have you along Mark. Make sure you bring some of your wraps along as well.

It's a long way from Broken Hill!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if Sandy & Owen front up for the next one, they travelled down from Gladstone for last years.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I think a comment needs to be made.

Back at the start of 2006, there was a post on here to see if anyone was interested in learning how to make their own fishing rod. Roz posted same and she had organised Stuart as the tutor. Roz was also looking for a venue. Sue and I volunteered the backyard for this thinking it was a one off occassion. All we do is arrange a few table and chairs, some food and drink. That is all..quite simple really. I just stand back and watch and by taste testing, make sure the liquid refreshments are at a correct temperature.

The driving force behind this activity (this was the third annual one) is Roz.
    Phil does very ably assist.

Stuart kindly donates his time and knowledge to those willing to learn.

The real thanks for making these events the success they have been deservedly goes to Roz..without her enthusiasm in this none of them would have happened.

This year especially, Roz's true colours shone through.

To you Roz...well done and many thanks for your organisational ability for these events. May there be many more.

Hi Pierre (Alan)
    How did that rod of yours go together any pics for us? Did they all like that reel seat?
    Thanks
    Simon

G'day Simon. Mate, the guides were bigger than would have suited the blank, so at the moment she has been fitted with the cork and reel seat, and i will be ordering some better suited guides within the next month. Finances are the key here. The guides you sent, I'll probably be fitting to a blank which Graham is holding onto for me.

The grips and reel seat look pretty schmick, and feel reel nice. It'll be a lovely little piece when finished. I'll be posting some pics once I grab the guides and start onto fitting them.

Thanks again for your help and the service....first quality mate.

Hi Alan
    I thought you said that the blank was a 6kg blank?
    When I called you about the blank (and said I didnt have a listing for that blank) you said that it was a 6kg blank and you would be using a 3000 size reel on it.
    I think that they are the right size guides for a 6kg blank with a 3000 size (Daiwa or Shimano) reel.
    I could have probably sent you a size 25 guide for a starter (and changed the rest) but I thought you said that you where looking at getting a (bigger) 4000 size reel to match that rod.
    I dont have the exact sizes that I sent you with me as I am at home at the moment but they were single foots guide and started at (I think) a size 30, 20, 12, 8, 8, 8 so I dont think they are to big for that blank and reel.
    If you want to send them back I will give you a refund or exchange them and send you replacements free of charge.
    If you want smaller guides there will probably be some money left over for you.
    Last edited by OzRods; 06-04-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Simon, there's no drama with the parts. PM sent.