Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Save Moreton Bay Rally

Re: Save Moreton Bay Rally

I haven't read through the 5 pages of posts but I do think this time more signs or banners are needed of the cars/boats, the headlights should all be turned on and the pass past parliment house should be slow....very slow. We had a decent turnout last time but the whole passing was an anti-climax and had little impact. Perhaps the lead vehicle should just break down just after parliment house blocking off all access to the place. If not then all vehicles should definetly lay on their horns when passing. I realise that these things are meant to be done in the proper manner but a passive attitude should not be what we are displaying. Who funds these things also? Ideas such as info under windsheild wipers at boat ramps and all tackle and fishing related industries should be a lot more involved. It's out pastime but their livelyhood. as this rally even had any exposure in our local fishing mags or local media leading up too it? All fishos and related industries need to and owe it to my fishing son to be involved. The strongest message that can be sent to the pollies is our affect on their job. We need to let them know that they WILL NOT have our vote if the proposed changes occur. I do not know much about the whole process or best way to stop the changes but what I do know is that WE make the difference NOW wether the changes will pass or not. Our weakness is that the damn greenies know how to organise themselves and propose and voice their opinions better...plus they are willing to dedicate more time and effort in pushing them through. Being on the dole has it's benefits I guess. In saying all of that...I will not be attending. I have a family trip to NZ planned well before I heard of this but as you all should...I've signed every email and paper against this....emailed my view to pollies, epa , dpi etc. If you fish on the day instead of attending.....DO NOT post a report about it.
    One more thing while I am on mt soapbox...
    It seems this fight is for dramatic changes or no changes at all. Has any fishing related party actually proposed our version of acceptable changes. I have no problems with closing off wello point . I know no changes would be best but this most likely will not happen so how abut we have some say in what happens and possibly find a change that we could accept and might pasify extreme greenies slightly. Let them know this is not a stepping stone for the extreme changes proposed but give the pollies an option that might look to satisfy their need to please everyone involved.
    Last edited by Ninja; 10-12-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Because I'm f*%king angry

Hi Ninja,

Groups such as Sunfish and the MBAA are highlighting their changes through the appropriate proper channels of which there are some edits to claw back grounds which just simply shouldn't be closed.

Funding for the rally - well it isn't. It is an idea that two of us had and are working on to the best of our abilities and are relying on the people of Ausfish and other forums to help us spread the word. Flyers were designed for free from a graphic artistand lots of people have downloaded the flyers and are doing boat ramp drops, dropping them into their tackle shops etc.

Fishing Mags etc all had their cut off dates for the December issues in November before the date had been set. I have spoken to their editors about this and they are telling others and emailing people, but no press as yet. However a lot have been invited to attend to cover the event. VIP's have been invited to attend as well to help stimulate more coverage.

We are doing the best we can with what resources we have, but people like yourself and the others from forums such as this are the key in delivering the message.

Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Is anyone leaving from the Fairfield area on Saturday ? If so either you can come with me or we could follow each other in to the muster area happy to meet up with anyone else from the south side. PM if your keen.
    Mick

Thanx Chris...I understand a bit better now.

[quote=Ninja;726534]I have no problems with closing off wello point .

Ninja, You may not have a problem with closing off Wellington Point but I do. Most of my fishing is done off Wello & Cleveland Points with my 3YO & 5YO sons.

Let's face it, there will be proposed closure areas that individuals won't be concerned about because they don't fish there. But someone else does!

What we need to do is stop thinking about our own spots and think about the big picture - Moreton Bay. We need to have one voice saying NO to the entire proposal and collectively support the proposal by the MBAA. We cannot have numerous smaller voices saying "That spot is OK to close but don't close mine down", just look at the results of the recent election.

Stuart

I think you will find Ninja's tongue firmly planted in his cheek .
    Its a long running joke

We all know its an issue where we have to support each other and fight any closures that will not be of any significant use in protecting a sustainable environment
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I think i have read most of the replies.
    I cannot recall seeing any meeting points on or from the penninsula.
    Please let me know.

Cheers
    Greg

so if you have a boat that's moored you can't protest or be counted ????

Quote Originally Posted by catfish55 View Post
    so if you have a boat that's moored you can't protest or be counted ????
    YES YOU CAN!!!!
    cars, motorbikes, scooters - whatever... all are needed. print off the flyers and stick on your car and join in the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I would suggest that we work out a strategy for getting the convoy mobile on the Gateway without causing a massive pile up
    Perhaps a couple of cars jump on earlier and sit next to each other and slow down a little to give a break in the traffic or at least warn motorists
    good point mate. how about we have a chat on the day, with the plan to meet by 9.15 we have time to organise a move off? i'd be happy to do a lap, coming back north very slow with the hazards on in the left lane, allowing us to get moving.
    thanks to the old company car, the fuel isn't an issue and I'm happy to 'take one for the team'...

also, it might pay to get some of the guys moving from the back? you get one or two out from the rear, and it gives the front guys time to pull out also. just a thought on a multi strategy approach to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I would suggest that we work out a strategy for getting the convoy mobile on the Gateway without causing a massive pile up
    Perhaps a couple of cars jump on earlier and sit next to each other and slow down a little to give a break in the traffic or at least warn motorists
    Depending on how many we get, I think we apply common sense and form two or more lines in the truck stop instead of one long one which may overflow onto the gateway, leaving people in the flow of traffic - NOT GOOD!! Please, if you see the end of the line is going to put you in the flow of traffic, come into the truck stop and form a second line parallel with the 1st line. there should be enough room in the stop to do 2 or 3 lines. Appologies that my previous description of the truckstop location was placed before old cleveland road when in fact it is after, but before Wynumn road exit. Thanks poodroo for clarifying while I played propellar head with my home network sorting out issues!

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by mik01 View Post
    YES YOU CAN!!!!
    cars, motorbikes, scooters - whatever... all are needed. print off the flyers and stick on your car and join in the rally.
    realy need to let people know this because i know of 3 people that would like to go but didn't have a boat so they thought they could'nt be counted.
    havn't had time to read all this thread being so big .
    do you have set loud flyer's to print???
    i'm only trying to voice helpfull critisism. after all the more the merier....pat

Pat - print out the flyer in the associated thread and stick it all over your car.
    Of course everyone is welcome, its just that having a big boat strapped to the back of your car stands out (especially when you have shitloads of them).

There is a separate thread in the new section to download the flyer. Make sure you know the route and where to join in etc having said that - I'm not an organiser or anything, and you should direct any specific q's to Phill or Chris but we need as many vehicles as possible to join in.
    feel free to ask any questions now if you are still unsure - but everyone is welcome to join in - numbers are everything!

For those without boats in tow it could be a good idea to bring fishing rods. Have them on roof racks, sticking out the windows or wherever to make us look like fishermen. Just a suggestion.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    For those without boats in tow it could be a good idea to bring fishing rods. Have them on roof racks, sticking out the windows or wherever to make us look like fishermen. Just a suggestion.

Poodroo
    Bloody Fantastic idea Poodroo!!!
    Cheers,
    Chris