Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MBAA Releases our Solution to the rezoning of Moreton Bay

MBAA Releases our Solution to the rezoning of Moreton Bay

Hi all

The following media release has been issued this morning. Please note: The report referred to can be found on the Marine Queensland website at:

www.marineqld.com.au

Regards

Grant

Fishing industry solution to the rezoning of Moreton Bay Marine Park

Recreational and commercial fishers have worked together to develop a proposal for zoning the Moreton Bay Marine Park that will protect the Bay for the future, whilst minimizing impact on livelihoods and leisure – a win win for everyone.

In a unique working partnership, commercial and recreational fishers, have developed alternative areas for higher protection that achieve the same conservation objectives while minimising the impact on fishers. Earlier this year the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provided suggested areas for higher protection within Moreton Bay as part of the review of the marine parks in the region.

Fishers believe that although the alternatives proposed will still result in jobs lost, that a small amount of pain may be necessary to protect the Bay for the future.

Bruce Alvey, Chair of the Moreton Bay Access Alliance (MBAA) says that it is in the best interests of fishers to see the Bay protected, but that any comprehensive zoning arrangements must allow for continued use by recreational and commercial fishers.

“We have worked very hard on this alternative zoning proposal and believe that it is the best placement of additional green or no-take zones. All industries and sectors involved in the process agreed from the beginning that in order for green zones to genuinely protect habitat, that all users should be excluded from these zones”.

“We also agreed that the placement of all other protection zones (e.g. yellow or blue) should also be based on a thorough risk assessment of activity versus habitat. It doesn’t matter who is on the end of a crab pot, it has the same impact on the sea bottom, regardless of the user”, said Mr Alvey.

“We hope the EPA will incorporate our research and proposal into their draft zoning arrangements, which are due in late 2007. The proof will be in the pudding”, said Mr Alvey.

Chairman of the Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Association (MBSIA), Robert Brock says that the groups have worked very hard together to come up with a solution that would protect Moreton Bay for the future, whilst maintaining a sustainable fishing industry.

“We openly acknowledge that this proposal will result in some pain for both the commercial and recreational fishing sectors. Our research project has proven that whilst all of the Bay is fished in some form or another, there are certain areas that are more highly productive for fisheries, said Mr Brock.

“Our joint proposal would allow access to highly productive fishing areas, whilst offering protection to 18% of seagrass habitat important for dugong populations and 29% of riverine/estuarine habitat, that far exceeds the EPA’s goal of 10% protection for each habitat type. On top of this are existing fishing closures managed under fisheries legislation and the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

Dr Daryl McPhee of the University of Queensland who has lead development of the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC)-funded research report due to be released late 2007 believes that this industry-driven zoning proposal would protect the Bay’s habitats for the future.
    “Increasing the overall protection of Moreton Bay’s habitat through green zones from 0.5 per cent to 10 per cent is a 20-fold increase. The habitats that have been allocated highest levels of protection under the industry proposal are important in that they support communities of protected species such as dugongs, said Dr McPhee.”

This zoning proposal forms part of a $226,000 research project funded by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC) that aims to collect data crucial to the review of the Moreton Bay Marine Park.

Please join us for photo opportunities by the water at Brett’s Wharf, Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton on Monday 26 November 2007 from 11am.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY – SHOTS WITH RECREATIONAL AND COMMERCIAL FISHING REPRESENTATIVES AT LOCAL WHARF.

For more information please contact:
    Bruce Alvey, Chair, Moreton Bay Access Alliance 0427 170 956 or Kellie Williams, CEO, Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Association 3868 1125

For a copy of the maps and executive summary, please go to
    www.marineqld.com.au

Re: MBAA Releases our Solution to the rezoning of Moreton Bay

I am no expert, spent 10years tromping around the bay and beyond but that was over 12 or so years ago now. That plan looks very good to me (quick look), different as chalk and cheese when a group works toward management with sustainability as the key cryteria and not lockouts/preservation, the keep the ugly people away mentality of the government and greens when they work together.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 26-11-2007 at 11:50 AM.

From a first speed read it looks well done and well thought out.

Thanks Grant

Derek

I have been trying for an hour to get onto the EPA site. Anyone having any success.

Derek

No success here either (and I rely on their website for work) seems to have been busy since about 10am.

Must be doing a sizable update......checked on the main government web page for any news releases as well but nothing as yet.

Jim.

The release will create worldwide news so I expect the site is copping a big hammering as everyone is trying to find some news.

I expect the Minister to put out a press release before it goes on the website or about the same time.

Keep an eye out here http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au...entSearch.aspx

Derek

What the MBAA and MBSIA dont seem to realise is that the oposition know that by locking off the "highly productive" areas in the bay they are basically protect all of the bay from us evil fishers. They know the "highly productive" areas are the only ones worth fishing. Offering the "non productive" areas will not interest them in the slightest. This is doomed to fail but I hope it doesn't.

gees crafty, speculating on what the MBAA doesn't "seem to realise" is a pretty big call.

they're having a red hot go at using some solid scientific research, they're obviously putting their money where there mouth is and are trying to achieve a workable outcome for everybody.

we need to be united behind this crafty, you only have to think about what happened over the weekend to see what happens when we're not united.

To me the big thing about this report is that it is a combination of good scientific research as well as local knowledge from interest groups (locals).

my oath it is mr bullock, i've only made it to page 39 in my lunch hour but i can already see that they have put forward a feasible alternative.

There was lots of good research done into the GBMP closures also. Like I said they aint dumb they are closing off the good sites because they know we really wont bother fishing the other areas and that way they protect alot more than they have put down on the map. I did say I hope this report makes a difference but I dont think it will, not because I am not united but because I am going by what has happened in the past. These people are pretty smart and pretty sneaky. They know what they are doing and they dont care what we rec fishos or even the pro fishos think. Anyway hope it does make a difference.

From what I have picked up in a quick read earlier it looks like a clear alternative that protects specific habitats with minimal disruption to current usage patterns by rec fishos. Looks like a "win win" situation

Well done MBAA
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Excellent work - a very sensible compromise and hopefully the EPA will take the recommendations on board.

One study I am very happy to see my tax dollars spent on.

Cheers

Greg

dont what the southern bay fishers think, but from a northern fishers point of veiw, it looks ok!. the bramble bay closure will (we hope) stop the yellow raincoats, hitting the bannas. i cant really understand the full closure of hays inlet, i thought they may at least, leave it open to shore based anglers.
    the closure at the top od moreton, seems a little hard on the beach fisherman aswell. but all in all i'm kinda happy!

cheers

lippa
    Last edited by lippa; 26-11-2007 at 08:56 PM.