Thread: Barra's off limits?

Barra's off limits?

Hey guys,

Am going up to Cairns for the first time next week, and am going on a charter in the rivers and estuaries. Does anybody know how the fishing is up there at the moment?

Plus are Barra's off limit from October 4, or the end of October?

Cheers,

Jordan

Re: Barra's off limits?

October 4 was the closure over in the Gulf, on the East coast the Closure starts at 12.00pm on the 1st November and goes until 12.00pm 1st February. Unless of course you are fishing a stocked impoundment, where the barra cannot get out to breed in the salt, in that case as long as you have your permits, there's nothing stopping you.

Unfortunately for you, depending when you get up there, you will only have until 12.00pm thursday next week to get into them, but the weather's been quite warm (albeit windy) over the last few days, so the bite should be good.

Hopefully I will be posting a report on my last ditch efforts to nail a few this weekend.

Good Luck,

Scott

Sweet!

My charte is booked for next thursday.

Thanks mate.

Sorry I mean wednesday

I hope it's a early morning start if not enjoy your 4 hours fishing!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Good timing, though just about every man and his dog will chuck a sickie and be one the water trying to get the next 3 months supply of barra for the closed season, so be prepared for a busy waterway, and take plenty drinking water and sunscreen, as it gets mighty hot when your on the water all day, and the humidity is slowly picking up, which only makes things more uncomfortable.....great for fishing though....not so great if you want to stay well clear of handbags....

Scott

Today is the first day it was quite warm (As opposed to just decently warm) in the early morning.... Bring on the heat and bring on the big jacks

You hitting the Bohle this weekend Scott?

Heading out Sunday with Mozza, promised him a trip after he took me out the night before we hit the macks, planning to flick a few lures around, so there won't be much room for 3 unfortunately. Saturday is also out as I'm heading out on a barra charter with Josh.

Was thinking of heading out during the week though, probably Tues/Wed after work to fish the afternoon low, hoping to be on the water by 5ish will let you know if you want to come along. I want to give the bohle a good going over for barra before the closures start, and hopefully get a couple of feeds to see me through the summer.

The weekend after will be more boat building days, as I'm going to squeeze some extra storage somewhere, to give us more fishing room.

Still looking for some new fuel filler line, haven't tried pirtek yet but they should be a pretty sure thing. The ply for the floor is all sealed up and waiting for new carpet, funds have been a bit low and about to be replenished, so it will be back into it next week after I've harrassed some fish.

I will let you know next time i go out.

Scott