Thread: Out of date Life jackets ?????

Out of date Life jackets ?????

A mate of mine was out in his boat on the Brisbane river on the weekend, when he was pulled over by the water police and had all his safe gear checked. The officier said two of his life jackets were older than 10 years and must be replaced. The life jackets were PFD1 and in good condition.
    I never knew that life jckets must be replaced every ten years. When did this happen or have I had my head burried n the sand.

Re: Out of date Life jackets ?????

Got this off the MSQ website....

My PFD is marked "PFD TYPE 1" and has a manufacture date of 1990. Is it OK
    to use?
    Yes, as long as the PFD is in good condition and includes all of the information and
    instructions as required, a PFD made to AS 1512 – 1988 still complies with AS 1512 – 1996. The jacket will be more than 10 years old and although there is no time expiry date required under the legislation the condition of the PFD will be taken into account. Any deteriorationin a jacket of any age, such as stiff or cracked fabric, colour fading or pulled stitching, will mean non compliance.

Cheers
    Blue

Cheers Blue,

great info.

tropiccrow,

You may want to ring dept of transport to clarify if your life jackets are "acceptable" as i was checked by the boys last month and my life jackets are 2 years old and there is a number stamped on the side of them which must be there...as long as the reflective tape is in good condition and so is the life jacket
    and you have this number..all should be sweet.

Just on this...my son wasn't wearing his lifejacket while under steam and they pulled me over an told me to put it on him...i advised them that since my boat is 4.8 mtrs long, he doesn't need to wear it..they argued with me... and when they dived into their bag on tricks to find evidence in writing...neither of them could find it!!!...i can see that our tax payers funds are being put to good use..

by the way.if your boat size is LESS than 4.8 mts, all children under 12?? need to wear one, even when the boat is drifting, not anchored.

Please read here:
    http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safet...ation_devices/

and for a FAQ
    http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/...s_pfd_faqs.pdf

Do take the time to read it. They police have been out in moreton bay and they have been booking people. I think it cost $150 a pop, but dont quote me on that. Someone i know got done recently.