Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandflies

Sandflies

Does anyone have a failsafe recipe for protection against sandflies?

I was at Fraser Island last weekend (West Coast) and now have about 100 lumps all over my arms and legs. I tried Bushmans, Aerogard and also a mixture of sorbalene and neem oil which is supposed to be very effective. Nothing worked!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tom

Re: Sandflies

Induna,

I have used a mix of Dettol and baby oil 50/50 and it works for me. Having said that, the Fraser sandies are legendary for their potency, so I wouldn't claim that this mix is "failsafe". Could be worth a go though. Anything is better than being badly bitten.

For relief, try spraying some (cheap) cologne on the bites. It seems to cool and calm them.

Regards,

Myde

The better half puts 100% Lavender oil on the bitten area and re-applies every now and again. It takes the itch out. You may end up smelling like a granny but if that's what it takes for some relief then so be it.

Why Not.

"Skin so Soft" to keep em off

To stop scatching - I have a Crystal I bought (somwhere???) that you wet & rub onto the bites & it definately takes the need to scratch away. Don't know its name but it is about the size of a golf ball & cheap.

Hi Induna

I have a van at carlo point and the sandflies love me
    I have found that the black & gold personal insect repellant that you buy from IGA works very well for me
    I also got a script from my Dr to rub on any bites and it works very well

Ken

Equal parts of dettol, baby oil and metho work the best for us we have used this on sandflies and mossies though extended floods and coastal sandflies.
    aw65

Why does no one ever suggest RID? This shit is the ducks nuts, sold in every shop on Fraser and stops every insect known to man, even the dreaded fraser island horse (march) flies.

Rid is good for me. The problem with sandflies tho is they will find the one tiny little part you missed slathering with gunk and they tell every mate for miles theres a party happening. After being bitten i like to use metho to take the itch out of the bites and i refuse to scratch them ever.

Jack.

We live at Tin Can Bay and sandflies are a part of life here.
    Elderly neighbor swears by 50/50 mix of citronella oil and baby oil.
    When I was young we grew up near donnybrook and had lots of sandflies there to,we always used medicated Bryll cream,it worked well to.I guess the sandflies got distracted and did their hair instead of biting

Cheers Craig

Do a search on this site for a thread started by Kingtin. Its about the British SAS and an Avon skin cream, the army boys swear by it

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

the old dear that used to take us down to the huts at the slipping sands when we were kids made a mixture of 70percent kero 30 babyoil. mate no sand fly or mozzie came within 100 feet of us.and we never went within 100 feet of the fire.jimbo. ps obviously not recommended for sensitive skin.
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Rid Works For Me . White Vinegar Seems To Deactivate Any Already Bitten Areas .

we have also tried everything! the wife and kids get smashed all the time! we have found the one that works a treat is the one called "off" it works a treat! it is in an orange container and it is non- greasy so the sand dont stick to you! we applied before we got out of the tent and never got touched. also was good for those people that had bites already soothed the bites. give it a try!

As a relief I find Vicks Vapour Rub applied to the bites works for me.

Years ago there was a product called midgee x once sprayed on nothing came near you but this was taken off the market,ive never found anything that stops midgees since,every friday arvo at rudy maas i get hammered,ive spoken to the guys that live there and they said you never get used to them, and nothing stops them.If you can make something that 100 percent works and doesnt involve coating your skin with an oil i reckon you would never have to work again.Its not actually a bite its there urine and it burns your skin,dettol and baby oil does work but 45 mins in the sun and your a oily lobster.