Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing dorsal fins?

removing dorsal fins?

hey,

Heading out to murphy's and outer gneerings this week, just wondering bout this dorsal fin rumour someone told me bout..

If you catch some fish from the reefs do u have to remove the dorsal fin before returning to the coast?

If so how and with what?

cheers,
    crowser

Re: removing dorsal fins?

Actually I thought it was one pectoral fin that had to be removed. The law was put in place to stop any black market trade of fish. Supposedly all fish shops immediately recognize the fish without the pectoral fin and are not supposed to be able to buy or sell them.

Poodroo

1 pectoral fin as far as I know.

THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

crowser, get a hold of a list of the Coral Reef Fin Fish from the 'Fisheries Management Plan 2003, Schedule 2, these fish require the pectoral fin to be removed, plus Spanish Mackeral.
    bait & tackle shops and chandlery's usually carry the 'Guide to Recreational Boating & Fishing in Qld' booklet, which lists the CRFF.

I use a pair of side cutters to remove the pectoral fin.
    Last edited by seatime; 14-10-2007 at 07:31 AM.

Mate

You are required to remove the left pertral fin.
    Make sure you do as fisheries will give you a large fine and that would not be nice
    Ken

Rodman,

left pectoral fin? I've been checked before and fisheries were happy that either side was removed. I just removed which ever side was facing up at the time. They didn't inform me of a preferred side. Did they tell you they wanted the left removed?

Steve

Steve either fin can be removed, i dont think this whole thing has been displayed enough because so many fisho's still arent aware of the rule. The only way we hear about it is thru a mate or somebody on here! I didnt realize it has been out for so long myself till bout 2 months ago. What will be next?? Cut there heads of??? Whats the world coming to...

If You Choose To Fillet The Fish Before Coming Home, The Fillet Must Have The Skin Left On For I.d Purposes And Be No Less Than 40cm Long.
    Cheers, Geoff
    MAY THE FISH BE WITH YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean1 View Post
    Steve either fin can be removed, i dont think this whole thing has been displayed enough because so many fisho's still arent aware of the rule. The only way we hear about it is thru a mate or somebody on here! I didnt realize it has been out for so long myself till bout 2 months ago. What will be next?? Cut there heads of??? Whats the world coming to...

Yep! Just when you thought that politicians, public servants and those who lobby for such things, were somewhere near sane along will come a regulation such as requiring the lopping of a pectoral fin.

One of the pectoral fins must be removed, it doesn't matter which one. Only includes coral reef fin fish species, and is not applicable to mackeral, trevally, jacks, figermark, and I think cobia?? Best to check the QLD fisheries website for a list of species it applies to, but I know for certain: 1 pectoral fin from either side of the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    is not applicable to mackeral
    Not for all Mackeral, but is for Spanish...

Can anyone clear this up...I thought it was just for coral eaters!!! Like Parrot etc...Not Reds or Snapper?????

BilgeBoy

Coral Reef Fin Fish Of All Varieties! As Well As Spaniards. So Anything With Fins You Take From A Coral Reef.
    Cheers, Geoff
    MAY THE FISH BE WITH YOU!

Definately not cobia.

Cheers Scott