Thread: Weekend Catch

Weekend Catch

I picked these first two specimencs near the lillies in my boat. The first one is called a Mantis Shrimp, I got it in the crab pot,Has anyone ever heard of these? The cod I got throughing over a snag just as I was saying " I've never actully caught anything throwing a hardbody". I Thought that was pretty cool . All 5 Brim were over 25cm, The smallest was the black brim (25cm).
    Overall I had a good weekend,
    Cheers,
    Jamie

Re: Weekend Catch

nice couple of bream, i think that shrimp is also known as a Prawn Killer, but ive never seen them that big befor

Heya Cobia Kid

Yup mantis shrimp or prawn killer and that is one animal of a prawn killer you have there. Used to hand scoop the odd one up to about 15 - 20cm max over moreton way at times which often converted into a good fish. Nice catch all round.

those shrimp can apparently cause some nasty injuries......i saw them in thailand.

can cause a nasty laceration if you hold them the wrong way. Front leg thingies damn sharp, and strong! used to snap fish/crustaceans as they swim by. used to get a fair few of them when lookign for bait when i was living in cairns either in the drag net or the cast net.

I get the odd one in the Brissie river while using the cast net.They are quite good eating at that size,if you get enough.We used to eat them regularly as a kid.The aboriginals use that front leg by ting it onto a thin stick.They then wiggle it over the hole that they live in,and when they come to the top,they pull them out using the leg as a hook.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkbaithoohaha View Post
    I get the odd one in the Brissie river while using the cast net.They are quite good eating at that size,if you get enough.We used to eat them regularly as a kid.The aboriginals use that front leg by ting it onto a thin stick.They then wiggle it over the hole that they live in,and when they come to the top,they pull them out using the leg as a hook.
    One of my dads mates told him the same thing about the leg, I also held it by the very end if the tail, is this right? And apperently they can move 23m per second and can break aquarium glass with one strike of their nipper

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia Kid View Post
    One of my dads mates told him the same thing about the leg, I also held it by the very end if the tail, is this right? And apperently they can move 23m per second and can break aquarium glass with one strike of their nipper

Thats over 80km/hr thats fast for a such a little critter. Need to put some bullet proof glass in the aquarium and put a couple in.

Remember getting one in the calliope while getting a feed of prawns in the castnet. Ugly little fellas. Hav'nt seen one for years. Dont even know what i did with it.

apparently thay can break your fingers,nasty bloody things they are!

nice session jamie
    i would have chucked the mantis back on through the tail and seen what happened..

cheers nath

How ya living?

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Yea i picked one up awhile ago on a hook, jagged the bugger, but yeah mantis shrimp or prawn killer will do.
    The look of the front 2 claws they got look like they could kill alot more then a prawn

I remember seeing a Prawn Killer twice once in a packet of prawns and secondly when i was fishing in the maroochy river when we pulled up the anchor there was lot of mud on it and in the mud was one of them, ugly lookin' buggers. Cheers Chris

Thumbs up Re: Weekend Catch

thats a bloddy big shrimp:shocked:

nice feed of bream there

top work