Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What makes a blank a really good blank??

Re: What makes a blank a really good blank??

I actually really enjoy the Ultraspin 2000 blank, I have a couple and they do everything I ask them to do. For *my*purposes I regard these as a "Really good blank". Whether anyone else does or not is a different story.
    Your not the only one i have a light snapper/squire stick i made on an ultraspin 2000 blank and it one of my favorite rods. I actually used this blank because i flicking through some only bush and beach mags looking through Stuarts articles for "rod recipes" for inspiration. I believe there was one for a sp bream stick using this blank. I made mine slightly differently but for me its a "really good blank" whether it really is or isn't, well I'm not sure but i like it

Cheers Chris

p.s. Actually this fish in my photo was caught using that stick, as you can see I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by bayfisher; 12-10-2007 at 04:23 PM.

i feel a topic in bnb coming on,,, ian

The ultra spin 2000 is a great little blank. Not my first pick of the crop but for the price, you just cant go wrong.

Stu

This is all really great stuff fellas.
    Thanks a million as a lot of info is now stuck in my noggin' just to make me more confused.

What about glass blanks??
    What do you look for??

For a little light whippy rod is glass better then carbon overall because of the flexibility (or unflexible nature of carbon) of glass or am I all hickledee-pickledeed again??
    Cheers Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Carbon can flex almost as much as Glass can. In order to achieve a realy nice flexible tip in a carbon blank you first have to use a standard modulus and reduce the diameter of the tip as much as possible. I’m talking a diameter of at least 1.6mm in the tip, this way it flexes much more readily. Glass is old school Finga; however you can do pretty much what ever you like with his stuff.

Stu

I got in contact with Pac Comp about the Ultraspin as I was interested in what the modulus of the carbon was.

"About 35 million"

I have a Batson RX7 blank which is 43 million. It is a lot faster rated blank though so can't really compare.

I extended a Ultraspin to 7'2" that I use to cast small metals for aussie salmon etc. After seeing the snapper picture above I took it out today with a new spool of 4lb braid.

Throwing 2" moulting shrimp on 1/32oz jigheads I picked up 3 45cm kingies, a 35cm bream, 2 35cm big eyes and hooked but dropped a bonito of around 40cm. Love the curve of these rods when loaded up hard. I got a 2.5kg aussie salmon on it a few weeks back (which was actually the first fish from the first cast with this rod)

Pic shows a mate with a sambo caught on much heavier gear not long after (there is only so many 15 minute fights you can stand on salmon...)

http://images.benandmichelle.net/alb...8Medium%29.JPG

Anyone know what the Loomis modulus' are?