Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Johno 110HP startup

Re: Johno 110HP startup

Intersting day's events...

I shoudl have mentioned this earlier but just occured to me before (2 hours ago) - after stearing at these hoses and realise wht I have done... :-(

I will play with these hose kinks tonight (next 2 hours).

I wonder why they kink when they are specially for this model donk..??

I still don't understand when water is freely coming out of pee hole, overheating can still occur?

Splash
    Last edited by Splash; 13-10-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Yeah I have a little black book with all my outboard stuff written in it, most anyway, spent today playing with an efi car that was built in 1985, be thanfull your engine is not EFI and as old as that, overheating would be a walk in the park!

The pee holes is just an indicator, the water reaches here (the engine is flooded)before it gets to do any real cooling (which means flow), all around the base of the powerhead are drains these work regardless of the thermostat opening, when enough heat reaches the thermostat it opens and allows lots of flow to circulate all galleries to dump instead of some sitiing with minimal flow.

From memory even the genuine ones can have at least a crease where yours is kinked, not ideal, aftermarket sometimes is not better sometimes it is, 50% kink is too much IMO.

Good luck.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 13-10-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Have decreased the kinks a little... I initially over-estimated the % "kinkiness" before - probably 30% kink (not 40-50% as mentioned previosuly) - now (after rejigging hoses) only about 2% kink.

I dont know is this will make much difference...

SPlash
    Last edited by Splash; 13-10-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Splash,

Even if that was not the cause of your problem - it will only help

Frank

A test run will tell...

Fact is all ran well till you had a changeover box fitted. So this may be the cause of your issues.

You mentioned big wear on the base (wear) plate of your pump. When you fitted your w'pump kit this should have included a new wearplate. Did you transfer all your new components to the replacement leg?

Cheers

Yes BM. - Entire kit transferred over - including new and unworn wear plate.

DO u think this wear on the plate may be somehting of significane?

SPlash
    Last edited by Splash; 13-10-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Didn't you mention "deep groove" wear on your new wear plate???? This is odd.

Fact is your engine has a problem. Somewhere between your assessment and description of issues and my (and others) understanding of these issues there is an issue...

The results of overheat tone and subsequent test with a heat gun will tell us a bit.

When it overheats, shut it down and start taking temps quickly. You can do it with the engine runnign but the ignition system interference will throw your readings off if your too close to a high tension lead. Therefore, if the engine is off there will be no ignition issues.

Cheers

THanks BM.

Deep groove evident in wear plate with w/pump kit dealer had supplied with this changeout bottom leg.

I have re-inserted my new w/pump kit back into leg today after leg pull activity.

I purchased this w/pump kit brand new in Jan 07, inserted it, ran 4 times without a hitch, then messed up my prop htting a rock. Dealer replaced whole bottom leg in Feb 07 with a compelte second hand unit - which included an oldish looking second hand water pump kit.

Hope this makes sense.

Very curiosu to know what impact this deep groove in wear plate may have on impellor efficeincy and resulting water flow up through leg, etc..

sa[plsh

ahhh - so the deep groove may have been from the previous motor it was on...

Frank

yes - that's right Frank - thanks for clairfying.

Another piece to jigsaw puzzle and I am certainly feedign you guys with plenty of pieces...

What impact on impellor perfomeance do u think this deepish groove has?

SPlh

Hi Splash - not sure if that in itself would impact the amount of water throughput enough to cause an overheat - but I would imagine it would shortent the life of a new impeller - ie. if you changed the impeller, I would change the plate as well... or the whole pump.

Frank

THanks Frank - Bottom leg now has brand new water pump kit - no wear.
    Last edited by Splash; 14-10-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Splash it all sounds good, you have the engine back to where it was after you worked so hard to service it a year or so a go, pretty pathetic the people who changed legs for you didn't inspect both pumps and fit the better one (15min work), anyone doing it for themselves would have, if it were the service agents engine they would have - guaranteed! They created a joker in the pack that could have stranded you or worse.

The stuff that crops up here on ausfish from time to time just keeps confirming to me why I get nervous if I cannot do something for myself and need to pay for help, shouldn't be this way.

Mate hope it starts, you got a little run last time so that should help.

2% kink??, - 20% kink suck it and see, ever fitted a temp guage, money well spent and very very easy to do, will take a lump of the guess work out for the future.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 14-10-2007 at 07:30 AM.

OK FNQ.

I agree with you on the dealers and doing as much yourself.

OK - here is the G O!

Just got back from 5 hours of boating - hooning around the bay.

Still having startup issues - need to raise leg to start on most occasions - even out on bay after anchoring up.

I cained and cained to try and get my alram going again. It occurred once -during a big cain and after 4 hours of boating (last time last week it took no more than 3 mins after boating)!

I switched off cowling and felt both heads - too hot to toch for more tahn 5 secs.

I then unplugged one of the sensors form head. Started it and no more alarm. Ithen conencted it again and re0satred - no more alarm. ANother 2 caining sessions after - and still no alarm.

Did not have the IR temp gun - soirry BM.

Weather wise, probably worst in 10 months - big chop.

I am amking progress but the two issues still remain -

Sloppy starting and overheating ( I think)

Next?

Splash

I still reckon you'd do well to clean out the carbies.

A bit of muck floating around could be the cause of starting problems.

Perhaps if a partial blockage is causing her to run lean - that wouldn't help temperature staying down (maybe?)

Even if that isn't the problem - its something you can then eliminate.

What do you reckon BM?

Cheers, Ross