Thread: Mazda BT50 the good and bad

Mazda BT50 the good and bad

Does anyone have any feedback on the Mazda BT50 4wd?

I just starting to look at options to replace my current 2.8 Patrol. I have had a great run with the Patrol (9 years since new), but want to go to a cab/tray with a glass canopy to better pack in the camp gear. There is only my wife and I to carry so the Freestyle cab looks to be the choice.

Thanks,

Re: Mazda BT50 the good and bad

have heard reports of 700km/40l diesel,dont know anyone who has had 1 long enough to give 'em a good test

A mate of mine has had one for a few weeks and loves it. Great economy, good power for a diesel. Check out the review on 4WD Monthly website, it took out their 4WD Ute of the year. Only problem is the intercooler sits below the radiator support so is open to damage. However, the ARB and I think TJM bars protect it and look good too. I am thinking of getting a freestyle cab for the boys at work, even though I am a Toyota man.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

A bloke I work with has one, he is stoked with it.....

Its still no Hilux though

Nah seriously, he has only had it a few weeks and cant stop raving about it. He was a Toyota man and claims to be converted, the poor fool. He says he gets about 700km out of a tank, I am not sure how big the tanks are in them, but he is very happy. He has the dual cab with an auto. Hope this helps mate.

Shane

hey guys i m a proud owner of a mazda bt 5o sdx dual cab bloody awesome great fual ecomony if any one would like a test driv i d been keen to let you cheers james

Thanks everyone, it looks pretty positive so far.

one good thing about the mazda range is there resale $$,,,, mazda australia don't fleet their vehicles,,, so hence the market doesn't get swamped with trades every 2-3 years,,,

i was looking at 1 of these when i upgraded from the b2600,,,,, even without the work discount,,,, it was a deal that i nearly opted for

the only thing that turned me away was that i only needed a car for 12-18 months,,,, so went with a traded 'lux to see me through,,,

then i'll get my new toy

give me a bell if you need to compare $$$,,, part of our range through work is mazda,,,,, even if its only to keep your place of purchase honest

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Thanks Choppa, I will do - always prefer to support an Ausfisher when possible!

Been doin some hardcore research on the current dual cabs available today(2006+ models).

And I never thought I'd say it but the mazda BT-50 looks like the pick of the bunch.

compare the top 3 diesel models out atm.
    3L Hilux
    2.5L navara
    and the3L mazda..

IMO in terms of overall ability and reliability the mazda seems the pick.

Hilux and new navara has horrendous body clearance..really really bad in fact.Out of the box the Hilux defiantely needs new tyres and rims. new navara commainrail engine is good but doubt a 2.5l would last anymore than 200k km's. and the 2.5L engine burns lots of fuel when you tow anything heavy, but is great for running light.

The Hilux has a good 3L engine but its not as proven as the mazda 3L(mazda engine has been used overseas a bit and has a good track record).Hilux rear suspension is awful(rear springs sit nearly flat unloaded). drive train in all 3 cars is decent enough

Navara has awful resale, hilux and mazda re-sale are very good. Hilux is the most expensive. all 3 cars engine's outputs are nearly the same.

so in terms of four wheel drive capabilty,engine reliabilty,engine performace, initial cost,re-sale value the mazda to me seems like the number 1 choice.

The only downfall is the interior isn't as big as the navara and Hilux.

I have owned one since the end of may, I use it for work and play and am generally happy with it. A recent work trip from bris too Blackhead (nsw) revealed 13.5km to litre . Also love the way the back doors open on my freestyle cab and power tools can be secured and dry. This and an affordable price is what sold me. This vehicle now has 12000kms on it and the 10000km service cost $258. So far so good. ps. ZOOM ZOOM Bloody Terrific

Own a new triton glxr 3.2 did auto , goes well with plenty of room. ( dual cab)
    The 4wd test that you guys refer to ,if you see the dvd ,the guy RUTHY seems to have the most cred ,and he picked the Triton.I spoke to a farmer today who has the Navara and he is ready to punt it after 1000ks ,bugger all torque. No wonder it has a six speed box.
    Cant fault the fprd / mazda twin except being over six foot I could not sit in the back ,no prob in the triton.

Wink Re: Mazda BT50 the good and bad

Quote Originally Posted by bingo2 View Post
    Own a new triton glxr 3.2 did auto , goes well with plenty of room. ( dual cab)
    The 4wd test that you guys refer to ,if you see the dvd ,the guy RUTHY seems to have the most cred ,and he picked the Triton.I spoke to a farmer today who has the Navara and he is ready to punt it after 1000ks ,bugger all torque. No wonder it has a six speed box.
    Cant fault the fprd / mazda twin except being over six foot I could not sit in the back ,no prob in the triton.
    bought a BT50 tray back in May - 10lt to 100k every time. Awsome torque have to watch roundabouts in the wet

Could these be good cars. Anawers from all !?!?

Ive got prev model 2,5 deisel trayback.On its performance the 3 l would be brilliant.I can stay with a 3l hilux on the open road.both towing 16ft vans
    Only thing i found wrong with my truck was the rear springs.They were too light and straightened out with 400kg on board. MAZDA reconed there was nothing wrong with them.I added an extra leaf to the springs and it now it is great. Ride was improved and it doesnt look broken a##ed!!!
    Would love to upgrade to a New BT50
    JIM

Thanks everyone.

Flex I have been going through the same thoughts as you, which have lead me to the Mazda option.
    The trayback with the Flexiglass combo of the split drop sides tray and the bigger trademan's doors on the canopy would be my #1 pick as a camping track to also tow a small boat.