Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    Dont let it get to you Nagg,

it's pretty obvious that some cant see the difference between sport, fishing & butcher work, but if that's what Tassie's powers that be have decided is a fair thing.................so be it.

Leave them to it, after all it's their fishery.

Muzz
    Muzz ..... Its not that it gets to me as such! ..... Its more the naivety that they are somehow protected / oblivious to the whole thing ......... But then again ... they see no problem with cutting down old growth forests .... or damming up wilderness regions ...... I guess when you have such a good thing on tap ..... you abuse it! ..... Nagg

it's pretty obvious that some cant see the difference between sport, fishing & butcher work, but if that's what Tassie's powers that be have decided is a fair thing.................so be it.

Muzz
    Muzz .... Part of my feelings lie in that .... I wanted to go & fish PNG (New Britain) for black bass ....... In 15 years it went from an untouched wilderness fishery .... To a pile of crap ................... all because government bureaucrats allowed it ..... Nagg

Muzz
    The real BIG difference between us is location and population....A day on the water up your way ...you might see 200 boats....I am lucky to see a boat offshore....and if you`s guys compared actual fishing days....(All due to weather conditions)...then I think you would see why our fisheries is going strong...with no need to change or reduce hooks/ or bag limits....

Nagg...as for the Tuna Industry...they recently had an episode on hook line and sinker where they were out on charter boats off Pedra Blanca and I all hear is good numbers Being recorded in size and Quantity...

So Getting back to the numbers Game...If Boaters up north can get out 10 times a month compared to our TWO times then who is taking the more fish do you think...

Occasionally here we have months...yes...months where we cannot even venture outside the harbour...hence why our rec...and commercial fisheries are so strong...

Mick

PS....And another point which also affects Bag Limits/ Hook Limits would have to be the Population....

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    PS....And another point which also affects Bag Limits/ Hook Limits would have to be the Population....

Mick
    Hey Mick

We all know there are only a few hundred thousand bodies in tassie, but there are double the heads!! And this means double the mouths to feed!!! I would use fifty hook droppers if my kids had 2 mouths!! They keep the fridge bare atm with one mouth

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Here is a few pics of what can be caught down here....These fish were caught on Friday and Saturday...

PS...Notice The electric Reels

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Hey Mick

We all know there are only a few hundred thousand bodies in tassie, but there are double the heads!! And this means double the mouths to feed!!! I would use fifty hook droppers if my kids had 2 mouths!! They keep the fridge bare atm with one mouth

Ian
    Good Point Ian... Two heads are better than One

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Mick ... Why is it when someone expresses an opinion that differs from some that they get labeled (Greenie or whatever) ....... Personally I think the TAS LAW is an Ass ..... Regardless of the legality or not! ...... Many legal fishing practices have nearly wiped out many species in the mainland states Professionals could use floating king fish traps ........ While totally legal ..... It virtually lead to the situation where you could not catch as an armature a legal size kingie. Then since the traps have become banned the fishery has improved 10 fold.
    The NT have managed their Barra fishery exceptionally well ...... & hence the fishery is healthy ..... compare it to the Qld wild barra fishery .... & it is a different kettle of fish ...... but it is improving since the laws changed
    ........ So as you can see ..... I'm not a tree hugging greenie ..... more like a concerned fisho who can see what can happens without decent sustainable practices ....... & 120 hooks attached to floating drop lines is not one of them!(30 hooks x 4 / boat) .... I bet those people that used to take all of those big snapper out of PPB during the 60s & 70s would love to have changed their practices ...... Nagg

PS ..... How is the Bluefin Tuna fishery off Tasmania these days Hey a legal practice !

PPS ..... & I dont accept some other arguments that because of the difficulties in fishing the area (weather , distance , population etc) will act as a circuit breaker ...... Lord Howe Island would be a pretty good comparison ..... & the fishery while still good (& well maintained) has declined over the last 20-30 years
    Well maybe Nagg you should get out of that little BUBBLE you live in and come down to Tassies West Coast....I dont see how you can comment on the weather conditions here when you have never fished here....Why is it here that the commercial fisheries are so strong..????....Because NAGG...even they cant fish it a lot due to the conditions...

And this point of 30 hooks and 4 lines per boat...WHO CARES...There are bag limits...and the limits here are 2 YES 2 do you get it.....2 Blue Eye per boat per person...

Nagg...Are you that niave...that you think by setting 30 hooks then you are going to catch 30 fish..????...

Bag Limits...yes...they are there to manage the fisheries...I am all for BAG LIMITS and i obey them at all times....but to have some one winge about me going out 20 to 30 NM to set a couple of drop lines ..

Thats Just what i dont get.....I occasionally get out due to weather conditions... But still get frowned upon ...even though i am obeying all laws and BAG limits.....

Mick

Muzz ..... Its not that it gets to me as such! ..... Its more the naivety that they are somehow protected / oblivious to the whole thing ......... But then again ... they see no problem with cutting down old growth forests .... or damming up wilderness regions ...... I guess when you have such a good thing on tap ..... you abuse it! ..... Nagg

Abuse it.......Well Nagg...compare our fisheries....Need I say no MORE.

Abuse it.......Well Nagg...compare our fisheries....Need I say no MORE.
    AND That is exactly what I'm talking about ......... Having sustainable practices while you have something to sustain ....... not after you've decimated the fishery NSW had an awesome (Kingfish & Tuna fishery ... 20-30 years ago & Qld a great wild Barra fishery ...... Now we have in place strict regulations to try to get some recovery but it will never be the same)...... Cheers .... Nagg

AND That is exactly what I'm talking about ......... Having sustainable practices while you have something to sustain ....... not after you've decimated the fishery NSW had an awesome (Kingfish & Tuna fishery ... 20-30 years ago & Qld a great wild Barra fishery ...... Now we have in place strict regulations to try to get some recovery but it will never be the same)...... Cheers .... Nagg

The situation in which NSW and QLD fisheries face would have nothing to do with the amount of boaters on the water now would it NAGG...Go back 20 to 30 years and compare the amount of rec boaters there are now....MORE people catch more Fish...its no rocket science...That is the point i keep trying to get across but you just keep picking little things without fully answering all the statements i have made....EG...Fishing days due to weather conditions/ and population ....

If i was to go out 30 nm and catch 2 blue eye on a rod...you would have no problem...but if i set 30 hooks and bring home 2 blue eye then you have a winge...This does not make sense to me...

Why do you think that commercial Crab fisherman ect are allowed to use more gear these days in Tassie...Because it is all Quoted...Once they have caught there quota then they stay home...so it does not matter if they catch 5 tonn of crays in 50 pots or 100 pots...once they are caught then they are finished...just makes it more cost effective to use more gear..

Ammature Cray fisherman are the same ...4 cray rings per person plus 1 pot...5 crays is the daily bag limit...10 in possesion....so it is the same thing....

I dont hear you winge about the trawlers catching hundreds of tonns of fish then dump them because they have no quote for that specie....so get on a real cause and complain about something that is really damaging our fisheries..

Mick

Snelly,

I'm really surprised at the attitude you have given Nagg,
    before this thread I have given you space on your use of electric reels, you are one of the few who can justify the use of them ( I have stated that in other threads)..............I also held you as a respected member.

Here is a few pics of what can be caught down here....These fish were caught on Friday and Saturday...

But now you seem proud of it ????????? Are you trying to rub our noses in it??????????

If you choose to call winching fish up in the way described fishing, well good onya,
    but the excuses that you use dont really cut it, As JNR quite happily said, you are "gathering", butcher work in short .

I can understand also your comment on the weather controlling your "gathering",
    ok, so you cant get there that much...................................still looks like a fish kill, more than fishing.

I guess we have to accept that what you do is within "the law",.....but it's not fishin'.

Open to comment,

Muzz

By the way, we have been 23 NM out & caught bugger all & still come home happy.

Muzz

The situation in which NSW and QLD fisheries face would have nothing to do with the amount of boaters on the water now would it NAGG...Go back 20 to 30 years and compare the amount of rec boaters there are now....MORE people catch more Fish...its no rocket science...That is the point i keep trying to get across but you just keep picking little things without fully answering all the statements i have made....EG...Fishing days due to weather conditions/ and population ....

If i was to go out 30 nm and catch 2 blue eye on a rod...you would have no problem...but if i set 30 hooks and bring home 2 blue eye then you have a winge...This does not make sense to me...

Why do you think that commercial Crab fisherman ect are allowed to use more gear these days in Tassie...Because it is all Quoted...Once they have caught there quota then they stay home...so it does not matter if they catch 5 tonn of crays in 50 pots or 100 pots...once they are caught then they are finished...just makes it more cost effective to use more gear..

Ammature Cray fisherman are the same ...4 cray rings per person plus 1 pot...5 crays is the daily bag limit...10 in possesion....so it is the same thing....

I dont hear you winge about the trawlers catching hundreds of tonns of fish then dump them because they have no quote for that specie....so get on a real cause and complain about something that is really damaging our fisheries..

Mick
    Mick .... I tried to cite examples that showed little or no pressure (compared to the Eastern seaboard) ..... a couple of days ago I mentioned Lord Howe Island & New Britain (PNG) ...but you chose to ignore what I said! ... so be it ......... Being a travelling fisho .... I see or hear about the results ...... & the status quo can change in a blink of an eye The amount of hooks (well if you dont target more than a couple of fish ... why would you use 30 x 4 ? ..... just like I use a 6 hook bait jig to catch more bait ... & quickly (Free floating drop lines ) ..... Anyhow lets just agree to disagree with each other & leave it at that ... otherwise we just go back & forth ..... Cheers .... Nagg
    PS .... PROS ..... Dont start me on them ! ..... ..... The majority just think of how much money they can put in their pocket ... NOW!

Snelly,

I'm really surprised at the attitude you have given Nagg,
    before this thread I have given you space on your use of electric reels, you are one of the few who can justify the use of them ( I have stated that in other threads)..............I also held you as a respected member.

But now you seem proud of it ????????? Are you trying to rub our noses in it??????????

If you choose to call winching fish up in the way described fishing, well good onya,
    but the excuses that you use dont really cut it, As JNR quite happily said, you are "gathering", butcher work in short .

I can understand also your comment on the weather controlling your "gathering",
    ok, so you cant get there that much...................................still looks like a fish kill, more than fishing.

I guess we have to accept that what you do is within "the law",.....but it's not fishin'.

Open to comment,

Muzz
    No i was not trying to rub anyones nose in anything thing...this thread was started about deep sea fishing...I was only trying to show how we fish down here in the deep water..whether you agree or not with the way we fish isup to you...But ...but the post was about techniques for fishing deep water...I Got my nose out of joint with Nagg...because I was made feel as though i was doing something wrong....I obey Bag limits...I dont get out alot....So what is the problem...

Have you`s ever used and electric reel...or deck winch..????...Might suprise you how much fun it is...especially when there are 4 people using them in the one boat....

Most of the people fishing with me are over the age of 55...so in respect to them....they cannot handle the hard work by winding a Blue Eye up out of 200 + Fathom...

Netting...Diving....probably have the worst impact on fisheries...But i see this doesnt even get mentioned....even though they are legal here...

If Nagg wants to have his say FINE....but when he picks problems in the way i Fish ...STILL Fine.....But have the respect to answer the questions in which i reply...not just take snippits out and Winge...

It started out on deep sea fishing and ended up with Statments Like.....Cutting down old groth forests..ect....What has that got to do with this..!!!!

We might not see eye to eye on this and i respect your opinion...but just maybe i know a little bit more about the fisheries...the conditions...ect than those who are judging us so harshly.....

Nagg....Stated that he does not ..and will not take into account...Weather condition...population...ect.....well need i say anymore...

Tasmanias Fisheries are going strong....TUNA numbers were mentioned.... Nagg should get his facts right before opening his mouth...This year has been the best year for Blue Fin in Tassie..and is the first year that they have been caught in great numbers here on the West Coast...I know Blaze will Back me up about this...

We have been judged on catching a feed of Blue Eye..2 Each...if we catch 2 each...but Nagg would not even respond to the damage in what the trawlers do....1 trawler would do more damage than all the rec fisherman put together....

And my main point is the conditions here and boat numbers....Honestly...there would not be another Rec boat offshore here...we sort of pioneered it here...I do believe you`s just dont understand what kind of conditions we get here..and to make comments on would not be just....

Mick