Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help for Smoker design

Help for Smoker design

G'day All

I'm trying to get some ideas for changing the attached water tank into a smoke house but as I have next to no knowledge at all about smokers I'm after some suggestions please on how to go about it. Dimensions are 1150mm diameter by 1650mm height and it has one opening in the top, one overflow pipe hole, and one bottom tap hole, and it is galvanised outside and is in very good condition. And no, I don't need it as a water tank as I already have 2 very large tanks and 2 dams !

Cheers
    Geoff

Re: Help for Smoker design

G'day Geoff

Mate dont mean to dampen your spirits on your project but dont use that tank as a furnace. When gal burns it lets off a poisionous gas/smoke which i am sure would transfer into your food and make you pretty crook or even worse if used over a period of time.

Have had gal posioning myself from welding and i can assure you it is not a pleasant experience.

There is two different types of smoking one being called cold smoking and is a slow process which takes many hours because the smoke is transferred via a pipe into the smoking chamber from a seperate furnace.

There is also a process called hot smoking where the fire and product are in the same tank but can be seperated by a baffle. Heat plays a major part in curing the product , hence making the process a lot quicker.

I know this doesnt answer your design question but it may help steer you in the right direction.

cheers

Mick
    Last edited by zigfreed; 29-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.

hhmm lots of stuff to know about smoking on a big scale like that, there is hot smoke, cold smoke, indiect smoke, all sorts of stuff, maybe best off to try to have a look at a comercial smoke house somewhere to see how they do it, I just use an old Webber BBQ and can smoke as much as you could possibly use in a couple of months, but I guess if you wanted to go semi commercial, then no reason not to use the tank, not too sure about the gal if you use a hot smoke setup.

Geoff,
    Google smokers, alot of ideas and pics

Daz

if worse comes to worse geoff,,,,, i'll give ya a packet of smokes and buy the tank as well,,,,,,

bugger all water on bribie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

G'day Zigfreed

Never even gave the gal a thought! Ok...I guess I'll go back to square one and start smaller.

Cheers
    Geoff

G'day Noelm

Just wanted to smoke a few Goldens so I reckon I'll probably get myself an old Weber from somewhere and put water in the tank eh!

Anybody want a water tank????

Cheers
    Geoff

Gave up smokin 6 or 7 years ago choppa (thank gawd!) and if you want the tank I can probably push it into the southerly flow and get it to you that way!! Probably get stolen on the way though (

Geoff

where are you located geoff,,,,,,
    Last edited by choppa; 29-08-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: xx
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Bundaberg choppa...happy to swap for a good condition Weber

Geoff

if you want me to tell you how I use my old Weber, just let me know, I learned from a old Weber smoker expert from Caloundra, you see them all the time beside the road during the Council cleanups, that's where I got mine.

That would be great if you didn't mind Noelm...I'm certainly after as much as I can knowledge wise.

Cheers
    Geoff

Why do you see old Weber smoker experts beside the road during Council cleanups? and why take one home??? Obviously their wives didn't want them stinking up their place eh? Sorry...couldn't help meself...Geoff

yeah I'd love to hear how you smoke with the weber too. I've got one of those Cobb things which is great, but sometimes I wish I had more space inside it.

OK here goes, first off the fish needs to be ready to smoke (of course) it is first "pickled" if you do not have that recipe, let me know and I will post it seperately, now, I use an old chip basket for my "coals" just put about 8 to 10 of those BBQ things that you buy in a bag, light them and wait untill they are fully White (no smell) move them to one side of the bottom of the barbie, get a lump of dry wood from the bush or somewhere , put it on the coals, fit the wire rack, place the fish, chicken meat whatever on the rack, close ALL the vents (and burn the sh!t out of your fingers doing it) put on the lid, go and have a few beers or watch TV or something for about 1/2 hour, lift the lid (again burning your hand because of the previously consumed beers) have a bit of a "test" but it should be cooked right through by now, lift it off the wire rack, once agin burning the buggery out of your fingers, wait to cool and enjoy, mind you a nice piece of fresh hot smoked fish is hard to resist, that is the basics, you might find your weber needs a bit less time or a few more heat thingys, or maybe a bit longer, but that will get you started, some good things to try as well as fish is chicken legs and pork ribs.
    Last edited by Noelm; 30-08-2007 at 08:40 AM.

not too sure why you see them at cleanup time, I guess they seem like a good idea, then they don't get used much or something, but down my way you see a few, and at the recyclers at the dump is another place to find them, remember after you use it a few times for a smaker, it will be useless for anything else but smoking.