Redcliffe jetty saved from fishing ban

August 21, 2007 03:41pm
A POPULAR fishing spot north of Brisbane has been saved from a fishing ban after Premier Peter Beattie learned it was included in a wide-ranging environmental protection plan.
Redcliffe jetty, a location favoured by families and weekend anglers, will not be included in the so-called "green zones" currently being considered by Queensland's Environmental Protection Agency. The zones are designed to protect a range of habitats and species in Moreton Bay Marine Park.
A draft plan is expected to be released for comment at the end of the year, and finalised in the second half of 2008.
But already anglers are unhappy with the consultation process, and the places of interest being considered.
In state parliament today, Redcliffe MP Lillian Van Litsenburg raised concerns the EPA had determined the closures before the consultation was complete.
"What guarantee can you give my constituents that their voices will be heard?" she asked.
Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr said the process was genuine, but was being hijacked by political and other interest groups.
"I am concerned that needless scaremongering from certain groups is actually doing your constituents a disfavour because it's sending out unnecessary fear into the local community," she said.
"We have absolutely no intention to close down recreational fishing in Moreton Bay, and certainly not by 2015 as it is claimed by some fishing writers.
"Mums and dads will still be able to wet a line at their favourite fishing spot."
Mr Beattie later said he hadn't seen the areas of interest map that included Redcliffe jetty.
"My view is that people have been fishing off the Redcliffe jetty since Adam and Eve were in shorts and they should have the right to continue to do it, but let's see the full proposals," he told reporters.
A spokesman for Mr Beattie later confirmed Redcliffe jetty had been removed from the plans.
Opposition Leader Jeff Seeney today said the consultation process was "suspicious".
"Everyone who uses Moreton Bay needs to be very suspicious about the government's intentions with the fishing zones," he told reporters.