Thread: Hansard today: Moreton bay closure maps are FAKE and "certain" groups are lying!

Hansard today: Moreton bay closure maps are FAKE and "certain" groups are lying!

From Hansard 21st August 2007: Moreton Bay Marine Park
    Ms van LITSENBURG: My question is to the minister for environment—
    Mr SPEAKER: Order! Members on my left, the member for Redcliffe has the floor and I ask you
    to respect that.
    Ms van LITSENBURG: Minister, I have been contacted by many constituents who are very angry that the EPA has already made up its mind on which areas will be closed to fishermen under the current review of the Moreton Bay Marine Park. What guarantee can the minister give my constituents that their voices will be heard?
    Ms NELSON-CARR: I thank the member for the question. I reiterate that we have made absolutely no final decision on the rezoning of the Moreton Bay Marine Park.
    An opposition member interjected.
    Ms NELSON-CARR: I have said in relation to the process that this will be extremely consultative and I am concerned that needless scaremongering from certain groups is actually doing the member’s constituents a disfavour because it is sending out unnecessary fear into the local community. When I announced the marine park zoning plan review in February of this year I said that we would be seeking advice from scientists, user groups and the local community before we started to put lines on maps, and that is exactly what we have done. It is extremely disappointing that some groups and people are using the process to spread lies and misinformation and to push their own political agenda. I can guarantee—
    Mr SEENEY: I rise to a point of order. I appreciate, Mr Speaker, that you did not hear it, but I believe the minister used an unparliamentary word. In the interests of consistency, I think we should all agree to withdraw it.
    Ms NELSON-CARR: I withdraw the word ‘lies’ and replace it with ‘mistruths’.
    Mr BEATTIE: I rise to a point of order. Can I make the point that I respect the point made by the Leader of the Opposition but it would be really nice if members opposite gave the minister the courtesy of listening to her answer.
    Mr SPEAKER: With regard to the Premier’s point of order, I have asked members to give the
    minister a fair go. I ask you to do that.
    Ms NELSON-CARR: We have absolutely no intention of closing down recreational fishing in Moreton Bay and certainly not by 2015, as is claimed by some fishing writers. Mums and dads will still be able to wet a line at their favourite fishing spots. I guarantee all members in this room that at the end of this process there will be plenty of areas left for fishing for everyone.
    An opposition member interjected.
    Ms NELSON-CARR: If members opposite listen they will hear my answer. The EPA has had information sessions up and down the coast from Caloundra to Southport, on the bay islands, South Brisbane, Inala and Ipswich. In addition, officers have been to every boating and fishing show in the south-east this year. There is a web site survey that has attracted literally thousands of responses and of course input is vital by email and we also have a free call number. In my favourite words, we have consulted, consulted, consulted and the consultation will go on for a number of months yet. The EPA is still only in stage 1 of the review process, which is all about collecting information.
    Mr SPEAKER: Before calling the member for Gladstone I welcome to the public gallery today teachers and students from St Patrick’s College in the electorate of Mackay, which is represented in this House by the Honourable Tim Mulherin, the Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries.

Now let me ask the question.... Do you believe her???

Adam

Re: Hansard today: Moreton bay closure maps are FAKE and "certain" groups are lying!

questions from Members of their own Party are known as Dorothy Dix questions..gives the Minister the opportunity to address the House to try and appease growing sentiments in the community.

Re: Hansard today: Moreton bay closure maps are FAKE and "certain" groups are lying!

Minister for Environment and Multiculturalism
    The Honourable Lindy Nelson-Carr
    21/08/2007

All voices being heard on Moreton Bay Marine Park zoning Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr said today that the Moreton Bay Marine Park zoning review process would leave plenty of fishing spots for everyone.

Ms Nelson-Carr today reiterated that no final decision had been made on rezoning Moreton Bay Marine Park and reaffirmed that consultation was ongoing.

"I have made it clear from the outset that this process will be a consultative one, and I am very concerned that needless scaremongering from certain groups is instilling unnecessary fear within the fishing community.

"When I announced the marine park zoning plan review in February this year, I said that we would be seeking advice from scientists, user groups and the local community before we started to put lines on maps and that is exactly what we have been doing.

"The government has no intention to close down recreational fishing in Moreton Bay by 2015 as claimed by some groups. Families will still be able to wet a line at their favourite fishing spots."

Ms Nelson-Crr said stakeholder groups had been in ongoing discussions with the EPA and a website survey designed to highlight where people go, what they do, why they go there and what issues they have with the site has attracted literally thousands of responses.

"The EPA is still only in stage 1 of the Review process which is collecting information and data to feed into the development of a draft zoning plan for Moreton Bay Marine Park.

"Feedback from the web survey and industry groups will be taken until later this year when the draft zoning plan and map are released for public comment. The formal consultation phases for the draft plan will then last for at least two months."

Ms Nelson-Carr said maps being circulated in the media recently simply reflected different areas of interest within Moreton Bay that have met some of the guidelines provided by the Expert Advisory Panel and were not a draft plan.

"These areas of interest have been provided to stakeholder groups to assist them provde information to EPA staff to help minimise impacts on users when developing a draft zoning plan later this year.

"I stress that not all sites of interest will become 'no-take' areas."

"This review is about achieving sustainability - for our marine environment, our lifestyles and our livelihoods and I urge anyone interested in the future of the Moreton Bay Marine Park to get involved in the process."

Ms Nelson-Carr said by working with stakeholders and gathering information the government aims to produce a draft zoning plan that minimises impacts on user groups and protects the unique values of Moreton Bay Marine Park for everyone to enjoy.

For more information or to provide feedback on the zoning review visit: www.epa.qld.gov.au/mbmp/feedback.php

Media Contact: Karla Steen 3336 8004

I'm confused. Didn't the EPA provide the details for the "areas of significance" which now appear on the maps (in green)?

It now appears that "nobody will lose their favourite fishing spots".

Hate to say it but that is EXACT line they used when the GBR was rezoned....................I'd like to meet this nobody bloke...maybe go fishing with him...BECAUSE THE REST OF US LOST OURS!!

I think the minister had better choose her words more carefully.

She has now said, on the record, that nobody will lose their favourite fishing spots.

To whit if "anybody" does, she has mislead parliment.

Therefore guys...nothing to worry about.

Its all OK

KC

Sorry,

I misquoted the minister who said "Mums and Dads will still be able to wet a line in their favourite fishing spots".

So for all you single guys out there, get busy breeding...or maybe wet a line is the "code"....by all means wet a line, just don't have a hook or lure attached

That would be fun.

KC

Lets all download our GPS marks and send them in as our favourite fishing spots.
    That'll keep them busy.

This is also from todays Hansard...............

MoretonBayMarinePark
    Mr HORAN (Toowoomba South—NPA) (12.10 pm): I want to warn the people of south-east
    Queensland who love to fish and go boating on MoretonBay about what the Labor government in Queensland will do to them. I want to warn them on the basis of what has happened to the people who like fishing in north Queensland.

This Labor government has form. Just look at what it did with the complementary zones: there
    was absolutely no compensation paid whatsoever. What the government has done, through the EPA, is brought in five people from the Great Barrier Reef organisation who have been through this process of rezoning to review the MoretonBay plan. In a nutshell, they rezoned 30 per cent of the Great Barrier Reef and in the same process put a stop to 70 per cent of the fishing. That is what will happen in MoretonBay. They will come out with all these areas of interest—and they have some 35 areas of interest at the moment—they will cause a few major demonstrations about areas like the Redcliffe pier and other types of areas, and then they will slip in all the other zones while people are concentrating on other areas. At least in relation to the Barrier Reef in north Queensland compensation was paid by the federal government. But, in relation to the complementary zones along the coast, there was not one dollar of compensation. Who is going to compensate the people in MoretonBay? Who is going to compensate the commercial fishermen whose families have been doing that for generations? Who will compensate the mums and dads who like to go fishing in MoretonBay but who will now find that it is far too stressful because they cannot just go down and throw in a line; they will have to have GPS reference points or they could be prosecuted. Over 300 people in north Queensland have now been prosecuted and who have records. It will be beyond the average person who likes to go on the bay occasionally to enjoy their
    fishing and boating.
    Who is going to compensate the people of Brisbane and south-east Queensland who enjoy
    eating fresh fish from MoretonBay? They will be like 60 per cent of the rest of us who have to eat the imported catfish from the polluted rivers of Asia. That is where we are heading if we do not have accurate, honest and fair dinkum consultation in this whole process. But how can it be fair dinkum when the Greens let the cat out of the bag before the last election? In their press release of 27 August they talked about the government’s plans for no-go zones. Then they disgracefully picked out the 13 seats that Labor considered marginal and they directly gave their preferences to Labor because that was the deal. That is why I am telling the people of south-east Queensland. That was the deal.
    Mrs SULLIVAN: I rise to a point of order. I find that offensive and I ask that it be withdrawn. Under no circumstances did the Greens give preferences to me in Pumicestone.
    Mr HORAN: Madam Deputy Speaker, I made no reference to that particular member.
    Mrs SULLIVAN: I find that offensive. There were no deals done in Pumicestone. I find it offensive and I ask that the member withdraw it.
    Madam DEPUTY SPEAKER (Ms van Litsenburg): Order! Would the member withdraw
    unreservedly?
    Mr HORAN: I withdraw. I also want to table a letter that was sent to the Minister for Environment and Multiculturalism from the Moreton Bay Game Fishing Association which clearly states the problems that they are having with regard to how they deal with this consultation process and the way their rights and knowledge have been trampled upon.
    Tabled paper: Copy of a letter, dated 14 August 2007, from Dr Evan Jones, Conservation Officer, Queensland Game Fishing Association Inc, to the Minister for Environment and Multiculturalism (Ms Lindy Nelson-Carr), relating to the Moreton Bay Marine Park review.
    I also want to ask: where is the Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries, who is supposed to represent the people who fish in MoretonBay, be they recreational or commercial fishermen? He has gone missing in action. I call on the minister to stand up and fight for the people who like to use MoretonBay so they can have a fair, decent and honest review of MoretonBay and not be trampled over by these prearranged deals that have been done with the extreme Greens. I call on the minister to guarantee that the Moreton Bay Access Alliance will be able to complete and show the details of its independent research which has been funded with a $226,000 grant. At the very least that is what the government should allow because that is independent research, not the desk research that was done by the environment department itself.
    I say to the people of south-east Queensland: be warned. This government has form. Those
    opposite have a prearranged plan for MoretonBay. They are professionals; they know how to do it. They know how to rub out fishing and stop people from doing what they love to do. I say to the people of south-east Queensland: kick Labor in the shins at the federal election and kick them again in the shins at the state election. That is the only thing that an arrogant government understands: a great kick in the shins. Look what they did to the people of Queensland over council amalgamations. If you do not kick them in the shins, they will walk all over you. People might think they are getting consultation, but they are not and the accuracy, the honesty and the true science of the people who fish and boat in Moreton
    Bay will be disregarded.
    Time expired.

On Ya' Mike

KC

it's being debated and that's excellent i reckon.

You're right paddles, it's a start anyway. but as horan said, we need a lot more in the form of unity and public education in order to accrue the necessary numbers. how to do that is the question.

cuzza

Traveston Dam - Council amalgamation
    What consideration do you think the current goverment will give to local public opinion given recent past history.

hi all,
    great this is being debated, time to get onto your local member, e-mail, letter or phone. let them know as a fisho you are not happy
    speak now or forever old your peace
    cheers
    dazza