Thread: Meeting on Moreton Bay closures on Sunday 19.08.07 10.30am at Moreton Bay Boat Club

Exclamation Meeting on Moreton Bay closures on Sunday 19.08.07 10.30am at Moreton Bay Boat Club

Any Ausfish members and interested fishermen should be at the Moreton Bay Boat Club tommorrow morning at 10.30am. Large areas of Moreton Island and Moreton bay and surrounding areas are proposed to be green zones. Please attend and have your say. Thanks Bonus

Re: Meeting on Moreton Bay closures on Sunday 19.08.07 10.30am at Moreton Bay Boat C

I attended this meeting..very informative with some good speakers. very well conducted also...thanks to QGFA for holding this meeting.

Re: Meeting on Moreton Bay closures on Sunday 19.08.07 10.30am at Moreton Bay Boat C

Yeah it was a good info session except for the Union delegate pushing his workchoice crap What a tosser !

EPA are running roughshot over the process so I hope that we can at least have some yellow zones. For those that were unable to be there one of the key points brought up is that the EPA want 10% of all the habitat types so in fact they will claim way more than 10% of the Marine park

They (the EPA) dont even know the size of the areas they are going to declare as Green Zones so it will more than likely be greater than 10 percent.

Many thanks to the QFGA for the presentation and MBBC for hosting the meeting. Well done. It was a great meeting with an excellent presentation.

Also, as discussed at the meeting, the Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Club (scgfc ) web site has great information relating to the Moreton Bay closures.

Cheers
    Stue

Woops, my apologies for my dislexic moment.
    It should have been:-
    Many thanks to the QGFA for the presentation and MBBC for hosting the meeting. Well done. It was a great meeting with an excellent presentation.

Stue

The main thing, we as rec anglers, can do at the moment is to contact the EPA and our local members..not once but continually..emails and letters.
    I was surprised that the bloke from the Minister's office said nothing until about 3/4 of the way through..probably trying to gauge if it was safe to speak..LOL

Channels 9 and 7 had cameramen there..if you can get to any other meetings, please make the effort...the more people in attendance looks a lot better in front of these outlets.

It was an interesting meeting today ,the main thing i got out of it is that the EPA are just drawing lines on maps to please someone or something at this stage with no real evidence or reason for the areas they have outlined.

As Keith Hall pionted out one of the areas of interest cuts the shipping channel in half and as no shipping is allowed in green zones this must be a huge oversight or this proves that the EPA are just putting lines on maps at this stage and in my opinion that is bad as when it comes time to enforce these zones they will have exact co-ordinates for the areas they want to shut and i believe they have this information now but we don't and this disadvantages us as we (rec fishos) cannot mount a rebuttal on information that we don't have.

I urge everyone who uses the bay to fish to attend these meetings as they role along into the future.
    After a bit of a chat with Keith after the main event it is quite clear the next meeting will need to be larger and will advertised here on Ausfish far enough out for south siders to organise the trip and get involved.

I thought the conduct of everyone was excellent today (apart from the unionist) and the mood constructive,if we can move along the same lines and get NUMBERS involved and heard we may just get a few yellow zones we can fish in for the future.

Birdy

Yes, It was a well run meeting of interested people. The closure of nearly the whole northern end of Moreton Island will have a shocking effect on the enjoyment of fishing families who visit the Island.