Thread: Snapper In The Oven

Snapper In The Oven

i got couple 5lb snappers to cook. they are in my freezer at moment but would like to know best way to bake. what to stuff with and how long should i cook them

cheers
    greg

Re: Snapper In The Oven

Hi Seahorse

We tend to only gut & gill, leaving the scales on to assist with moisture retention when baking a snapper.

Be sure to have oven preheated to about 220 then when placing the fish in turn down to about 180 & bake for approx 45 min depending on size of fish. Usually a couple of kilo is 45 min's.

Stuff the cavity with anything that you like really. We always make up a concoction of brown rice (cooked) with additives such as-
    heaps of fresh herbs, garlic, onion, tomato, toasted pine nuts, ginger, a few sultanas, chilli, salt/pepper etc.

Wrap them nice & tight. You can always check them to see how they are cooking & rewrap them if unsure.

My favourite part are the wings & the cheeks. Super succulent!!

Cooked one like this for Mum & Dad in the coals the other day & we all went biscuits - it was GREAT!

i do mine on the bbq is has a hood on it . put what ever you like in the gut cavity wrap it up tight in foil and wack it in the pre heated bbq for about 40min for a 4 to 5 kg fish and it tastes great . you dont waste any flesh this way, and you get to keep the jaws and head structure as a trophy. best of luck.

thanks fellas.

greg

Another way I used to bake snapper before I moved north was to fill the gut cavity with tomato, onion, lemon slices and chopped garlic, dill, and a little sage (all fresh herbs, really makes a difference). Than make up some butter with dill, a little more garlic, lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper and sea salt and cut slits into the side of the fish about 2-4cm apart and rub mixture all over, wrp in foil (not too tight or it may stick a little) put in an oven preheated to 200 and turn down to 180 and cook using 1kg=15-20min. The last couple of minutes of cooking, carefully unwrap fish and put onto a cake rack and turn oven up to 220, sprinkle a little more salt over the skin on both sides and it should crisp up and make snapper crackling.....yum.

I should also mention that the fish is scaled, gilled and gutted of course.