Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

It’s been a while since I last posted info here, and in that time MBAA has been very busy working hard towards securing the future of the Bay.

The news that I’d like to share now is that on Monday 6 August at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club, we formally launched our major research project and then held an information session to more fully outline the project’s aims and progress so far to the media, community and industry leaders, and you may have seen coverage about that on Channel 7 and in the Courier Mail on Wednesday 8 August.

This is a vital project to securing the Bay’s future so I’ll provide here some info that shows what we’ve been doing and why. The message is bit long but hope you understand.
    MBAA members realized some time ago that the various recreational, community and commercial activities, both marine and land-based that are based in and around Moreton Bay are inextricably linked, both economically and socially.

We also realized that what doesn’t currently exist is the research that can paint this picture – that will quantify exactly what happens in the Bay and what the flow-on effects are to the south east Queensland economy and local communities. So we developed a proposal for a $226,000 research project that will provide this data.

The project has been jointly funded by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation, (FRDC) who we are most thankful to, industry and recreational fishing groups. We have put together a project team lead by 3 international experts on marine parks planning from three top Australian universities:
    • Dr Daryl McPhee from the University of Queensland;
    • Griffith University’s Professor Tor Hundloe AM, a former Commonwealth Industry Commissioner and World Heritage Wet Tropics Authority chairman; and
    • Professor Colin Buxton of the Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute and University of Tasmania.
    Our project steering committee also includes:
    • Kellie Williams, Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Association (Project Manager and Principal Investigator)
    • Crispian Ashby, representing the FRDC
    • Sean Galvin and Shannon Mooney – (SEQ Catchments, mapping)
    • Bruce Alvey, Grant Bennett, (MBAA representatives, project liaison with recreational fishing and boating and tackle industries)
    • Simon Baltais – conservation sector (Qld Conservation Council and Wildlife Preservation Society – Bayside)
    Where are we at now?
    The project has now been underway for some months and the main focus to date has been data gathering and analysis.
    Sector Data gathering:
    Surveys have been designed and distributed to several sectors (recreational fishing and boating, commercial fishing and charter boat sectors). Meetings have been held with industry leaders of several other sectors to establish methodology for data collection – tourism, seafood retail, recreational fishing tackle, indigenous and we’ve met with EPA and DPI Fisheries, and the Department of State Development to discuss and obtain required data.

The data collected has included predominantly economic and some social information and the response to surveys has been positive. Surveys targeted at the recreational fishing and boating sector were distributed at the Tinnie and Tackle Show held in Brisbane in March 2007. Approximately 450 surveys were filled out over the three days, and a further 50 were received later.
    To add to this, a meta-analysis of existing data for recreational fishing from DPI and tagging databases is now nearly complete. These data sets are currently being translated into GIS layers to add to the maps of economic and social activity in the Moreton Bay Marine Park. These maps will be assessed by the project researchers in conjunction with industry leaders to identify gaps in information. Further data will then be sourced if required.

Habitat Data
    A meta-analysis of habitat information for Moreton Bay has been undertaken using available research and verified by site visits where required. This information has been transferred into GIS layers to create a habitat map. This map will be used to ensure that the final outputs of this project meet the conservation goals of the EPA. This habitat map will form a point of verification against EPA’s habitat map. Our research team has reviewed EPA’s draft habitat map and already we have identified several inaccuracies and information gaps and are liaising with them to address these matters.
    Having an accurate habitat map is a critical starting point in conducting this project. EPA’s target for conservation through green or no-take zones is 10% of each habitat type identified. EPA apparently do not have specific goals for yellow or other zones within the park, although these zones have significant impact mostly on commercial fishing and related industries.

Next steps?
    So at the beginning of August we are nearly at the end of data gathering and habitat mapping stages and have commenced the analysis phase. The next phase will then be to undertake a risk assessment of activity vs habitat.
    We’ll have the analysis and risk phases finished by early September, and that will be followed by the process of working with all sector representatives to come up with a consensus on a draft zoning map and report, which is due by the end of September.

Based on data collected, we will have maps of where the environmental, economic and social ‘hot spots’ of Moreton Bay are. We will use this information as industry, community, recreational fishing and conservation groups sit around a table over several meetings to negotiate on where protection zones could be placed to achieve EPA’s conservation objectives, whilst minimizing impact on industries. This will be undertaken with a professional facilitator.

Discussions with Government (EPA, DPI Fisheries and State Development) to explain and advocate for acceptance of our proposals, will then follow.
    We have been assured by the Government that this will allow EPA enough time to review and consider our proposals before they release their draft zoning plan for public comment, which is now expected towards the end of 2007.

How can Ausfish members and the fishing community help?
    This work is a major undertaking as you’d appreciate and the progress achieved to date is both promising and on schedule. The tight timelines more than anything else are straining our resources, particularly for basic things like administrative backup for organizing meetings, venue hire, distributing information, surveys etc. At Monday’s launch, the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club showed its support and not only provided the venue free of charge which we are most grateful for, but their Committee made a significant cash donation to us as well, as did several other individuals and organisations.

If we want a solution that not only protects the Bay but is supported by all sectors of the community, then we, the recreational sector, need to show that we are right behind this project by putting our hands in our wallets right now. If you or your fishing Club would like to help, please send a contribution to us at BIAQ, who kindly handle our accounts. The address is:

Moreton Bay Access Alliance, C/- Boating Industry Association of Queensland, PO Box 3305 Tingalpa Qld, or call (07) 3899-3333 and make a contribution over the phone via credit card.

Grant Bennett
    Deputy Chair MBAA

Re: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

excellent to hear of the progress MBAA is making. I did read about it in the Courier Mail today. Sounds like MBAA is doing some great work towards a good outcome for all users of the bay.

PM sent for further info.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Thank goodness for you guys

Great approach being undertaken.

Hi Grant, It sounds promising just a few questions;

Are you generating a written report based on the research findings or just maps? Will the report be available to the public and if so will you include relavent data in appendicies along with a methodology report that can be deconstructed for analysis?

I think the publishing of the report will be vital so that the research can be assesed on its merits.

Cheers,

Adam

I am a cynical person, i admit,,and i do hope that the report goes some way to achieving a fair and sustainable outcome for all.
    My fear is that a report funded by FRDC and project managed by the spokesperson for the commercial fishing sector will be promoting the best outcome for those particular organisations.
    Yes I would support a report that I was confident was seeking the best possable outcome for rec fishers, but.....

money talks rando.

recreational fishermen as an individual user group are not listened to by government.

recreational boaties as an individual group are not listened to by government.

the industries that are involved with boating/fishing (whether it's at a commercial or recreational level) however have clout. they employ thousands of people, especially in the south east corner of our state. they generate many millions of dollars of income both here and in exports overseas. we as recreational fishos/boaties must show these guys support because there appears to be no-one else interested in a sensible approach to moreton bay usage. it's in everybody's interest that they do this study, not just the commercial sector.

Paddles
    I understand and agree with your comments , Its a shame rec fishers don't have a funded lobby group.

As a university researcher and in the process of obtaining a Masters degree in Economics - I did offer my services to aide in the research (for free) and also to see that rec fishers were well represented through the process (by way of being a TFPQ member) but my offer was rejected on the grounds that they didnt want to politicise the research.

Which is why I would like to see the report If and when it becomes available, it will be nice to see that its a balanced assessment... for all our sakes - I hope it is.

Adam

Hi everyone

To answer a couple of the questions posted:

Adam's questions re the project outputs: Yes, the products of the project will be zoning maps plus a comprehensive research report with all necessary supporting data and methodology as you would expect from world class scientists. Fine scale data will not be released as much of it has been provided in confidence to us (for example specific rec anglers "hot spots" and commercial fishers personal log-book data) but aggregated data will be included in the report.

Rando's concerns re funding: The project is jointly funded by FRDC and all MBAA stakeholders, either with cold hard $ or "in-kind" ie personal time and effort, access to services and facilities. The scientists, for example, are providing their services ex-gratia but we have engaged a research assistant. FRDC's contribution was about $130K of the total project value of $226K.

A condition of the grant from FRDC was that MBAA members and all sectors be a key parties to the project. There can be absolutely no concerns about our result being biased towards one sector over another because all MBAA members have agreed that the results of the project must be supported by us all before being finalised, ie we don't produce a final zoning map until all sectors represented on the alliance have reached a consensus.

We are incredibly fortunate to have MBSIA on the team and to have them project managing the work, because that is nearly a full-time task and all the rest of us, myself included, have real world jobs and are doing this in our "spare time" instead of going fishing!! To give an idea, this week I've already put around 18 hours so far on the project and have just come home following meetings with State Development this afternoon followed by an Alliance meeting tonight.

MBAA actually applied to FRDC on behalf of the Alliance because they have an established track record of successfully managing FRDC funded projects. If you've ever tried to get grant money from one of these Government or industry organisations, you'll know that its a million times easier if you've got a track record with them. Given the urgency of the project we had to ask FRDC to fast-track the application and frankly we would have had little chance of success without MBSIA aand Kellie William's efforts.

Paddles comments re a collective effort: Couldn't agree more. It is the Alliance's view that we must stand rock solid together, commercial, rec, tackle industry, boating industry, indigenous fishers, charter boats, tourism etc and to present a 100% united front if we are to be successful. There would be nothing the extreme greens would like more than to see us at each other's throats. A proposal presented to Government that is supported by all sectors will be much, much harder to reject than individual sector submissions.

Money Talks
    You betcha it does. We'd like to see the rec sector help out as much as we can, so how about it guys, money where the mouth is, as they say.

All contributions welcomed, no matter how big or small. What's it worth to you to be able to continue to enjoy your passion for fishing? The cost of a decent quality new rod/reel combo - what's that maybe $150??? See my original post for details of where to send.

Grant

I can support Grant's comments regarding the Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Ass. as I'm currently working on a much much much smaller research project with Kellie Williams and John Page (MBSIA) using very similar data sources to assess the impact of tidal wetland loss/degradation/reclamation/dieback in realation to commercial fisheries productivity. Im am sceptical of throwing all these zoning plans around when the quality and health of the habitats which they are meant to protect are in a state of decline (from various impacting factors ie coastal development, water quality, dredging etc.), negating any any efforts to protect them in the best intrests of their users (rec, comm. tourism etc.).

I think the FRDC project is a winner as they will be generating zoning plans based on the level of impact certain acitivities have on a habitat (not just closing everyone out even if they have a minimal impact), with a strong emphasis on social, cultural and economic repercussions of their plan.

Michael

Thanks for the update. Don't have time to read the papers and rarely get time to watch the News. So if it isn't on the net then I just don't get to hear about it. Seem to be more and more like me these days, guess that is why the politicians are using Youtube and website.

Let me know if there is anything you need from me as far as use of the site, etc. goes, more than happy to have you on here and help if/where I can.

Thanks for that Steve.

We are endeavouring to get a weekly update from here on in to inform everyone of the progress with the research project now that its in full swing. Expect to have the first of these end of next week or thereabouts, and will post them on this site.

Regards

Grant

Thumbs up Re: MBAA Update on the Moreton Bay Marine Park Review

thanks Ausfish for making this thread a sticky.

Grant
    Thanks for the clarification on your project .
    As I said I am happy to support a non partisan project . I will put a contibution towards the project, and thanks for your efforts on securing a future for all fisherfolk.
    rando

Michael,
    Your comments are in line with what I have been saying to the EPA.
    In USA, the clean water act was put in place.This act does not allow discharge of any type, into any waterway.

Sewerage treatment outflow ,from Redlands,is discharged into the Bay, every day.
    Does not matter that it has been treated,it would not happen in USA.In fact, all the plants were moved.
    Putting a green zone, or any other colour for that matter, will not change the situation that currently exists.
    California, had a major issue,with the bay.

NASA, was contracted to produce a report showing all the discharge into the bay.This surely is available to the Australian Government, so why are we not using this rechnology.

The EPA can draw as many plans as they like, but that will not change the fact, that we need to stop the discharge into the bay, including household run off from canal development.
    The EPA, in USA,even educates the farmers.

In our neck of the woods, the Logan River has been down graded again, for the 5th year in row,and guess where it ends up? And that is just one system.

There are far bigger issues, that need to addressed,other than no go zones. But will they listen.
    David