Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

Re: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Nice to think a couple of 4wd forums I have plodded around will finally have an effective body to try and represent them, that bunch have it hard are IMO more passionate than the average fisher to their colleagues (for the want of a better word) plight.

IMO Gunna be good for every man, woman and child Aust wide even if they cannot see it yet or will not see it yet.

cheers fnq
    This"Bunch" need's to be informed about the destruction they impose on others!

Cheer's BAT

Re: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

I am sadend by this thread. To me it seems a combination of interstate rivalry and some downright selfish behaviour of some individuals who think that they are the be all and end all and the party won't exist without them is causing this splinter to widen.

Why is it ego's and dollars seem to be the driving factor of the individuals concerned. The inate need to be "the boss" and take control - fair dinkum if the energy to do that was directed into the party focus and direction, I reckon Adams total number of booth workers would be met!

To me, it is obvious who those people are by their posts on this forum. You know who you are and you should hang your head in shame because not only have you assisted in the disruption of the party here in QLD, you have reduced ANY impact a party can make now and I daresay regressing to the policital landscape of the 1980's. When we get banned for fishing inshore - don't whinge as you have no right to do so as you were part of the reason it happened - you opened the door for the bastards to do what they want.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Good call BPD!!

Looks like Kev shining the light on all this has sent the cockroaches scurrying into the safety of the darkness! (tho from what I hear there may be a kiwi in there too)

Where are they now?? A while ago so loud and boastful about people's shortcomings... now nothing, deathly silence... nothing but the crickets (or is that cockroaches?)

To me its a cowardly act - both to what they have done to their own party and more importantly to fishing in general!!

Adam

Adam

I cant help but think your comments are aimed at me. I worked hard to raise the profile of TFPQ largely at my own expense, and I have not scurried into the background as you put it. Having resigned my positions within TFPQ I have focussed my efforts on organisations that are actively campaigning for Moreton Bay. The reasons for my lack of activity on Ausfish of late, as those who know me are already aware, are of a personal nature, and have made me more aware of the things in life which are important. I gave TFPQ my best shot, and it didnt work. I have since moved on, and suggest that you and your associates follow suit.

If your shots are not directed at me, then please accept my apologies for being over sensitive.

Regards Shane Boese
    Last edited by Shane Boese; 05-08-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

Quote Originally Posted by Adamy View Post
    deathly silence...
    Adam this comment is extremely bad taste if directed at me, knowing what I have been through in the last 4 weeks.

Regards,
    Shane Boese
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

The entire situation with politics is that a person wants to win a seat for ????
    personal gain perhaps??????

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Boese View Post
    Adam this comment is extremely bad taste if directed at me, knowing what I have been through in the last 4 weeks.

Regards,
    Shane Boese

Come again?

Think if you're feeling some heat Shane - it might be self inflicted!!

The entire situation with politics is that a person wants to win a seat for ????
    personal gain perhaps??????
    Pinhead: Absolutely right! Most people who go into politics go into it for some kind of personal reasons and the most common one is personal gain! Which is the reason I cast my lot with KC because he seemed like one individual - the first one I had ever met - who desired political position for reasons other than personal gain! He is/was mission specific and I hope I dont betray his confidence by saying this, but once his mission is/was accomplished - he has/had no intention of staying in the job longer than necessary.

I can support that because it comes from authentic-ness it shows that he really did have the cause at heart - not blind political ambition. I cant support individuals who want to use these issues as some kind of vehicle for personal gain - only to forget the cause which gave them any mandate. These kinds of people reveal themselves by their words and actions - whilst public words may seem to be devoted to a certain cause - private words indicate real motivations - statements like "I'm going to Canberra!!" (when in the middle of a QLD STATE election) and "I can see my name on the door now" (not to mention private ACTIONS). Are pretty revealing - dont you think?

Adam
    Last edited by Adamy; 05-08-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: grammatical

Adam
    If you didn;t know Shane recently lost his younger brother and went back to NZ to lay him to rest and with in a week returning end up coming with in 1.4 degrees of dying himself and spend over week in hospital
    And to this I don't like your Slander Here on Ausfish so back off and put sock in it Before you dig yourself another big hole again can't get out of

Mitch
    Last edited by Redspeckle; 05-08-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: grammer
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Quote Originally Posted by Redspeckle View Post
    Adam
    If you didn;t know Shane recently lost his younger brother and went back to NZ to lay him to rest and with in a week returning end up coming with in 1.4 degrees of dying himself and spend over week in hospital

Mitch
    Thats quite sad and no I didnt know - then again - was I supposed to?? My condolences to Shane's Brothers family and I'm glad Shane seems to be on the mend - because I definitely dont wish him or any other individual any physical harm!

Still.... facts are facts and they dont change and neither will my support for those who I feel are in it for the right reasons and not personal gain!

There is something strange going on here though.... I am happy to contribute to the debate regarding the differences between the actions of those who I perceive to be self oriented verses those who are in it for fishing and protecting our lifestyles.

As KC has mentioned the real problem here is that certain individuals - mainly those down south (hence COCKROACHES) are trying to assert their authority over the QLD state party - they are trying to say they own US (TFPQ members) and therefore they want to be able to select the candidates - NOT TFPQ, KC then made some veiled reference to a certain individual who he thought might be the front runner for TFP pre-selection... didnt take a rocket scientist to put that together.

Hence my original comments regarding support levels - they (TFP) cant, wont and dont have the support to be able to successfully contest a seat.

If certain individuals take that personally and want to play the sympathy card - then so be it! But lets have a go at debating the real issues here anything other than that is a distraction and probably intentional diversion away from the very real and stated issues.

My personal problem with all of this arises from the insight I have into the internal machinations within the State party. TFP NSW would probably not be very interested in our little patch of turf were it not for leakage of certain information which was supposed to remain at executive level. Due to the leakage of this information - TFP NSW seem to be under the impression that there is a senate seat in the offering and that TFPQ had a reasonable expectation of going close to winning it - which is what the whole Brisbane South debacle started with - it was all about positions and who would be the front man for TFPQ on the senate ticket - I have the written proof in front of me and will be happy to release it if I get clearance and will release it in any case if TFPQ is disbanded and the rules of confidentiality are no longer in force. Regardless of anything else this written evidence speaks for itself.

So you guys want to debate the real issues? - then please explain why TFP NSW's actions are better for Queensland and QLD fishers... WE ARE WAITING!!!

Adam

p.s to those down south - dont hide - contribute to the discussion - these are the guys whose support you need IF you wish to run candidates in this state! If you cant win this debate - then your hopes for a senate seat here are dashed - because thats where the support MIGHT come from - like I said .... WE are waiting!!

To whom it may concern (a bit of a cat-chup)
    A reply from Bob Smith in regard to the now made public situation that exists within The Fishing Party.

Yes The Fishing Party has placed some objections to the AEC regarding this issue. They are to be placed on the AEC website I believe and there is no reason to hide the issues. They along with other things can be viewed on http://www.thefishingparty.info/ website or they can be linked to Ausfish if required. The objections are self explanatory but further enlightenment follows:

Facts that Ausfish members should be made aware of.
    The Fishing Party was first registered as a Federal Political Party in Sept 2001, which gave the right to the party to endorse candidates and get funding (if gaining 4%) in every state and territory in Australia for Senate positions and the House of Reps. TFP did not get registered for state elections in NSW until January 2002.
    TFP is independent of and is not related to any other party. It matters little that each state branch when formed get registered at state level as TFP or TFPQ or TFPVic etc as this has been approved and seen in what other parties do.
    The simple fact is that there needed to be an avenue for the fishing community that is, Recreational, Commercial and Indigenous fishers, to gather strength in numbers at the ballot box to influence, gain sensible and sustainable policy decisions and management from the government especially at end of term election periods. It was also instigated in trying to get a balance to the Greens pressure. It was always regarded as a big job to unite so many fractions each having different agendas and expectations. Governments love to see communities divided giving them control.
    The Fishing Party has the option to be a Federal Party registered as above (with one Registered Officer who endorses all candidate nominations) where the states and territories come under the one umbrella, or The Fishing Party can be registered as a Federal self reporting entity for a state or territory (with their own Registered Officer) with that party name. This entitles that state branch to control candidates for that state only needing no Federal TFP input.
    The party also needs to register with their respective state Electoral Commission so as to contest state elections etc as NSW and Qld have done.
    The Fishing Party has no current plans to change its name. That is a Qld state issue that has many problems that might not have been made aware to Qld members, TFP being only just recently made aware of any agenda to do so. (On Ausfish by a Shane Boese post)
    A $22/3yr membership entitles that person to be a member of The Fishing Party with the AEC and also a member of the state branch (whether there is a formal branch or not)

This post has publicly highlighted some points that need comment from a TFP point of view.

From KC post:
    We have been forced into a name change due to AEC rules, which set aside the name TFP for the NSW organization because they had previously contested an election using this name.”

That is misleading. TFP has always been able to register as a Federal entity for Qld with their own registered officer and constitution, who would control signage of documents including candidate nominations, (meaning that TFPQ could only contest seats in Qld) As a matter of fact for many years TFPQ has been independent of any federal party intrusion/influence or operational knowledge. TFP (no TFPNSW) is a NSWEC state registered umbrella party for state elections only. The Federal Party controls and signs off on any NSW candidates at Federal Elections. Federally TFP has given TFPQ a free rein in everything it does. In the last election TFPQ selected and ran its own Senate candidates which were automatically signed off by the federal Registered Officer. The Qld Senate candidates were voted for as The Fishing Party not The Fishing Party Qld

KC Post:
    “Firstly that TFP (Nsw based) owns TFPQ members…..this is despite “our” members having dues banked into TFPQ bank account, having receipts issued from TFPQ, filling in forms to join TFP(Qld), and with the probable exception of the list of 200 or so SE Qld members given to Shane Boese, they don’t even know who our members are.”

It is understood from viewing the TFPQ website AEC headed application form and affirmation from some members that applicants joined The Fishing Party not TFPQ. Unless I am mistaken applicants joined the Federal party and the State branch being TFPQ with their $22.00. It was also understood of that $22.00 $15 was to remain with the state branch and $7.00 was to go to the Federal party for that membership. The insistence of TFPQ that ALL the money remain in Qld was not opposed by TFP because it was seen for the good of the cause. It is true that TFP does not know who or how many members have signed up in Qld and no Qld member names or party application forms have been submitted in TFP 500 plus member re-registration application (but there is no reason they couldn’t be if they have signed the member form). It is understood that TFPQ applied for Federal registration as a state Federal entity.

KC Post
    “The second objection being that TFP NSW, if they are successful in registering TFP at a federal level, intend to select and stand candidates in the federal election in Qld….Hmmmm! So without any consultation from the Qld party NSW will select and campaign in our state……doesn’t take a rocket scientist to guess who their senate candidate will be.”

TFP is re-registering as the Federal Party as it was prior to Dec 2006 and intends to stand Senate and Electorate candidates wherever it can. The Australian press was informed of this when the TFP gazette notice s136 was advertised. This process has nothing to do with the party being registered in NSW except the name is a recognised party. The 500 plus, Federal party application forms signed by the applicants come from NSW, Vic, ACT, SA and WA. It is understood that Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party with KC as the chairman and Wayne Bayne as the proposed Registered Officer has submitted The Fishing Party names as members of their new and distanced party. That causes concern for TFP as unless those members have resigned from TFP including KC & WB and have ALFP membership then of course TFP has no other obligation than to object. There has been nothing said so far or revealed under this post (except from Derek) about in the advent of AFLP gaining party registration status of them standing candidates in the same manner as TFP. TFP cannot have the finger pointed at it here as being the baddie but I have an uneasy feeling that below this whole AFLP agenda there is a backdoor agenda with secret players of dubious political alliances not properly understanding or considering the outcomes. Consultation!!!!!

KC Post
    “Quiet amazing that personal agendas and whiff of personal gain can so corrupt due process”.

Yes the personal agenda is to get someone from TFP elected into the system wherever that may be. If anybody has viewed Australian fishing forums over the last 6 years you would know the Bob Smith effort to promote TFP and the chance for someone to stand up and get into the political system for TFP. Yes Bob Smith has been the only hand up for the front Senate line in NSW including the cheque book and had a few goes in NSW at both State and Fed Senate with mixed results. The last time we had 20 candidates on our Upper House ticket and just missed the boat with 65,000 votes. The whiff of personal gain will always be questioned but the whiff of personal commitment is bypassed, why?

KC Post
    “So, now that the cats out of the bag we will be a bit more communicative in respect of what is happening.
    It was hoped (in vain) that this could all just go ahead and each state would respect each others “turf”, I even suggested this to TFP NSW 6 months ago but was never given the courtesy of a response.”

Seems a bit funny or even sinister that the cats been let out of the bag. Why was the cat put in the bag? Is there something or some agenda being hidden from Qld members? Your reference of respecting each others ‘turf’ means what! The registered party in NSW is trying to excite NSW not Qld. It’s the Fed party trying to excite Australia wide. And by the way it has been suggested by me to you for years that TFPQ look after its own territory but it took a long time for any state registration move, and checking my Dec 06 emails I find plenty of email correspondence about party members and getting reregistered and I quote from one to you on the 24th which suits this reply:
    “> With regard to your reference to the re-registration process at Federal
    > Level, the process is well in hand, with the paperwork already lodged with
    > the AEC. Advice currently to hand indicates that we do NOT require
    > written permission from one or any of our sub-branches for this process.
    > Since the Act of Parliament was initiated in the 2006 sittings to
    > deregister all non representative elected political parties on the 27th
    > December 2006 the TFP Executive have been in liaisons with and attended a
    > meeting with the AEC specifically for preparation of re-register
    > procedure.
    > In addition, I was unaware at this late stage that TFP (Qld) was preparing
    > paperwork to "re-register" The Fishing Party at Federal Level. As TFP
    > (Qld) is only a sub-branch of an existing Federal and previously
    > registered Party I cannot see the merit in TFP (Qld) preparing an
    > additional Federal Application unless there were plans to register as a
    > separate party. The Fishing Party needs to be federally registered as the
    > main entity because neither NSW nor Victoria or any other state and
    > territory members has indicated any autonomous ambitions (other than Qld).
    > In addition there would need to be 500 members registered and signed as
    > TFP (Qld), and currently, as a sub-branch of The Fishing Party, therefore
    > it is my understanding that all TFP (Qld) members are in fact signed
    > members of The Fishing Party, therefore cannot be used as part of
    > registration of a new federal party.”

What this establishes is that you were informed about the status of TFP members in Qld and that they couldn’t be used for anything other than TFP. No matter what, IMO you cannot have another The Fishing Party without it being related to the parent body.

KC Post
    “I dare say boys, saddle up for a sh%$ fight.”

YEP- it looks that way, what did you expect.

Dicko Post
    “They struggle for even basic credibility on their own turf.”

Dicko, you have not got a clue!
    YEP I apologise for getting knocked out in our last election on count 371 of 374 with 65,000 votes on a oily rag budget.- no credibility = no votes
    YEP TFP apologises for being responsible for getting the state seat of Port Stephens changed to the Libs

KC Post
    “Part of our inability to raise industry funds has been the "guilt by association" we have suffered from any link to TFP Nsw.”

This underlines part of the backdoor agenda mentioned above. Maybe you could enlighten Ausfishers to the full story of industry influence. I have a 5 page letter to industry about that on our web. Ausfishers might be surprised in the real story. If industry is trying to control TFPQ with funding threats then bloody well say so. Industry needs to make public its political alliance and it is not very difficult to work that out.

Steve Post
    "Emergency policy decisions can be made by the Executive."

I would imagine that a name change was thought about long and hard. How can this then be considered as an emergency policy decision.

Might not have been thought about enough Steve. (the “process” that is)

KC Post
    “Maybe we should return fire!! If anyone in NSW wants to run on our new federal registration for a senate seat against Bob Smith......Give me a tingle

If Bob Smith gets the nod again then we could swap preferences

KC Post
    “To make this really clear.

If TFP NSW is successful in laying claim to TFPQ members as their members...TFPQ ceases to exist.
    If TFP NSW succeeds in stopping our federal regsitration....we cease to exist at a federal level.
    If TFP NSW succeeds in its federal registration and nominates and stands candidates of its own choosing as TFP candidates in Qld for the senate we cease to have any effective bargaining power and would waste to work, contacts and media built up over the last 3 years.”

TFP in NSW does not have any claim on TFPQ members
    TFP has applied for Fed reregistration and nothing to do with NSW. If successful can endorse candidates for both Houses in all states and territories. It is TFP who are objecting to the process, similar name and membership legalities.
    TFP if having candidates in Qld will be no different in party name on the ballot paper than the 2004 Fed election. I would have thought media would be looking at the party contact whoever that was.

Adamy Post
    “Whats the point?? Well as previously mentioned - Bob Smith and some of the other "proposed candidates" have eyes on having a QLD senator and are also Ausfish members - we know they are reading this. BUT I dont think they have quite thought through the logistics of running such a campaign and manning the necessary booths. Without booth workers - the votes wont come!”

Adam,What’s your point? If Bob Smith, TFP or anybody else including Ausfish members didn’t have eyes on getting someone elected wherever,then it’s all a WOFTM. I am interested in the political advantages and possible outcomes for fishing and getting TFP in there is what the point is not who or whose funding controls TFP.

”Bob and his gang of politically ambitious, starry eyed would be senator(s) should have a good hard look at themselves - do the numbers and realise that it cant be done with the numbers you/they currently have. Politics is a game of numbers... and really not too much else, unless you have the numbers - you have no game!”

Sorry Adam, Bob doesn’t have a gang of starry eyed would be Senators but the call has gone out.

”As KC mentioned TFPQ was never really in the game to win a senate seat... despite what some would like to think... the numbers and the political climate are against an outright win. However collecting a significant percentage of the vote and presenting that as a bargaining chip to the major parties, in order to gain concessions is/was certainly a possibility - if not high probability.”

Yes-that has always been stated by TFP even before KC’s ego trip started.

”But those who have objected to the AFLP name change arent really interested in concessions and bargaining chips as much as they are in politicians perks, power, position and superannuation packages.”

Garbage Adam, read TFP reasons in their objection. You seem to have some personal spite in control

”And THAT is the major problem, the current TFPQ ability to bargain on behalf of all Queensland fishers has been effectively diluted and thats very sad indeed!!”

That’s called self destruction Adam.

Adam Post
    “To me its a cowardly act - both to what they have done to their own party and more importantly to fishing in general!!”

Adam, TFP hasn’t done anything other than to get the party reregistered. The ego problems arise in Qld remember! Or are you blind.

Adam Post
    “As KC has mentioned the real problem here is that certain individuals - mainly those down south (hence COCKROACHES) are trying to assert their authority over the QLD state party - they are trying to say they own US (TFPQ members) and therefore they want to be able to select the candidates - NOT TFPQ, KC then made some veiled reference to a certain individual who he thought might be the front runner for TFP pre-selection... didnt take a rocket scientist to put that together.”

Adam, I don’t know what member application form you signed but the one I know of states that you wish to join The Fishing Party and your name can be submitted to the AEC as an approved member of that party. If this is not so then please correct me. The other alternative is that TFPQ is not related or a state division of TFP. Whichever you decide you need to think about. The TFP registered party in NSW doesn’t own any TFPQ members or has any interstate rivalry in mind so that inference from whoever is just propaganda. The Federal TFP has members in NSW, Qld, Vic, SA, WA and ACT and that is the party getting reregistered.

”Hence my original comments regarding support levels - they (TFP) cant, wont and dont have the support to be able to successfully contest a seat.”

Certain seats can be successfully targeted. If you are contemplating or exposing every seat then that is beyond TFP and most minor party ability.

Adam Post
    “There is something strange going on here though.... I am happy to contribute to the debate regarding the differences between the actions of those who I perceive to be self oriented verses those who are in it for fishing and protecting our lifestyles.”

Unfortunately the aspiring list is not long so there may be a few with candidatitis and self egos. I must have it because of the hours and days and weeks I have spent on interstate chat forums, radio and newspapers spreading the word. No votes there for Bob Smith.

“So you guys want to debate the real issues? - then please explain why TFP NSW's actions are better for Queensland and QLD fishers... WE ARE WAITING!!!”

I’ll start Adam. TFP in NSW is painstakingly providing political opportunities for NSW. To my knowledge TFPQ was looking after Qld.
    The only role Fed TFP ever played was to sign the candidates nomination forms but you seem to assert something different occurred or is occurring. This new development most likely will change that though. You have some confusion with the party in NSW for some reason.

p.s to those down south - dont hide - contribute to the discussion - these are the guys whose support you need IF you wish to run candidates in this state! If you cant win this debate - then your hopes for a senate seat here are dashed - because thats where the support MIGHT come from - like I said .... WE are waiting!!”

Hiding? TFPQ has been a Qld debate- I have even had to reset my membership to get on here.
    Now that TFPQ has let the cats out there is really no option. AFLP has been instigated as another political party with KC chairman and Wayne as the RO. They can’t be both parties and I would think they are now not members of Fed TFP, members can’t be relied on for both parties, so when TFP finally gets the reregistration nod any loyal candidates will be chosen whoever they may or may not be.

Bob Smith
    Last edited by RASA; 06-08-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Wow, now I am really shaking my head.

Thanks Bob for coming forward but will look with intense interest to the responses to your post.

Derek

This is the first objection from TFP Website in full:

Dear Commissioner

It has come to our attention by way of a Mackay newspaper article and confirmed in the Australian Government Gazette dated 4th July 2007 that the Queensland branch of The Fishing Party has decided to distance itself from the Federal Party and entice our party members to become members of another new fishing related party, one called Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party - AFLP

The Fishing Party has been an established and recognised political party since the year 2000 and is a registered party in NSW and Qld along with trying to get established in the other states and territories. Our Federal members are also in Vic, SA, WA and the ACT. The party has contested two Federal elections as a registered party including two NSWState elections.

At present the party is going through the reregistering process resulting from the 2006 amendments to the Electoral Act and has real intentions of standing candidates in both the Senate and House of Reps at the coming Federal Election in whichever state or territory we are successful in getting appropriate candidates.
    That includes a major campaign in Queensland. Other parties are already seeking our interest to discuss political outcomes.

The Fishing Party intends to contest that election even in the event that reregistration is delayed.

It is our understanding that the reason of deregistration was because of confliction of political party names that were supposedly confusing voters. Our research in the Federal Senate Hansard reveals that Senators (eg Mason, Murray and Cherry made the most of this party name confusion in their debate on getting and making amendments to the Act. 20 recommendations on the subject surfaced with names like Liberals for Forests etc being touted as confusing voters. We notice that Green Liberals were also refused registration. The Queensland and NSW community is already familiar with and recognises The Fishing Party name in news and media and in Vic, NT, SA and WA have promoted the party on many occasions giving our party as representing “Fishing and recreation activities”

From the Act

129 Parties with certain names not to be registered
    (1) The Commission shall refuse an application for the registration of a political party if, in its opinion, the name of the party or the abbreviation of its name that it wishes to be able to use for the purposes of this Act (if any):
    (a) comprises more than 6 words;
    (b) is obscene;
    (c) is the name, or is an abbreviation or acronym of the name, of another political party (not being a political party that is related to the party to which the application relates) that is a recognised political party;
    (d) so nearly resembles the name, or an abbreviation or acronym of the name, of another political party (not being a political party that is related to the party to which the application relates) that is a recognised political party that it is likely to be confused with or mistaken for that name or that
    abbreviation or acronym, as the case may be; or
    (da) is one that a reasonable person would think suggests that a connection or relationship exists between the party and a registered party if that connection or relationship does not in fact exist; or
    (e) comprises the words “Independent Party” or comprises or contains the word “Independent” and:
    (i) the name, or an abbreviation or acronym of the name, of a recognised political party; or
    (ii) matter that so nearly resembles the name, or an abbreviation or acronym of the name, of a recognised political party that the matter is likely to be confused with or mistaken for that name or that abbreviation or acronym, as the case may be.

Explanatory:-
    recognised political party means a political party that is:
    (a) a Parliamentary party; or
    (b) a registered party; or
    Registration of political parties Part XI Section 130Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 157
    (c) registered or recognised for the purposes of the law of a State or a Territory relating to elections and that has endorsed a candidate, under the party’s current name, in an election for the Parliament of the State or Assembly of the Territory in the previous 5 years.

OBJECTION

The Fishing Party formally objects to the political party registration of this new unrelated party the Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party on the grounds that it will give voters the wrong Federal Party direction as being related to The Fishing Party and as a matter of other interest its abbreviation of AFLP could also be confused with the Australian Labor Party – ALP. Wherever The Fishing Party and Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party contest the same election voters will be confused.
    The Fishing Party already has been mistakenly called The Australian Fishing Party in news, media and public forums. The Fishing Party (aus) is listed as such on Google and Traffic Blazer server outlets and forums as well.

The Fishing Party also makes objection in its belief that The Fishing Party existing member names and data base are being used as member names to which the AFLP relies on for 500 party memberships.

The second objection in full:

Dear Commissioner

Further to our letter dated 12th July objecting to the registration of Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party we offer the following concerns:

The supporters of our party in Queensland have completed a party application member form to join The Fishing Party which until the 22nd December 2006 was a recognised federally registered political party. The signed membership form (sample attached) was a legal document making the applicant a Federal party member (if not disqualified or not accepted) until they either resigned or were unfinancial after 6mnths expiry or are expelled or are not given associate membership.

The Fishing Party is not changing its name and will not be related to any other party.

Any move by The Fishing Party QLD to change their name is a state initiative and in no way associated with the Federal Party. Our objection continues to be that this new party is using The Fishing Party federal members as their members.

The Fishing Party does not object to the application part dealing with members if the above membership criterion does not apply to the 500 members submitted for reliance for that party to be registered and in that case we only object to the party name referencing “Fishing”

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post
    Wow, now I am really shaking my head.

Thanks Bob for coming forward but will look with intense interest to the responses to your post.

Derek

Yeh Ditto to that... Thanks Bob for poking your head out and putting in your two cents... I may have change for you

Derek - what I'm interested in is any conclusion you (and any other reasonable persons) may have drawn when correlating Bobs Diatribe to the written objection, wherein he contradicts himself.

I may address the rest later - but am eager to see what others have to say first.

Cheers,

Adam

p.s Is this a tag team event?? Shane Tags out and Mitch tags in, Mitch tags out, Bobs turn... who's next??
    Last edited by Adamy; 06-08-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added some sarcasm... wasnt enough in the first post hehe

Well my research shows Bob is right on at least one point. People did join The Fishing Party (TFP) under the Federal Registration of Party Members. Even though The Fishing Party (Qld) (TFPQ) website states:

To become a member of the Fishing Party (Qld) please complete this form and send it to:

The Secretary
    The Fishing Party (Qld)
    PO BOX 1311
    Airlie Beach, Queensland
    the link takes you to a form that is for Federal Registration of Party Members under the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC). It is not for registration under the Electoral Commission of Queensland (ECQ).

Seems it is worded very poorly to me. People could have been mislead into believing they were joining TFPQ whereas they were in fact joining TFP.

That being the case, unless the AFLP can come up with 500 members they haven't much hope of getting registered.

Also looking at recent refusal decisions and the reasons for them by the AEC one would conclude that the word Fishing which is already registered to TFPNSW is likely to stop the registration as will AFLP being very similar to ALP.

Derek