View Poll Results: Should negtive people be banned from putting replies in the fishing reports section ?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be warned first

88 42.51%
  • Banned from replies and veiwing in fishing reports sections forever

9 4.35%
  • Banned for 2 weeks from replying and viewing fishing reports

24 11.59%
  • Nothing should be done at all

86 41.55%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poll on negitive people in fishing reports

Re: Poll on negitive people in fishing reports

now thats about the only reply that makes sense so far,,,, thanks sandyd

have alook back over the past 6 pages of reply and you will all see the pattern,,,,,

HOW MANY OF YOU,,, WHO REPLY WITH BEING """THINNED SKIN"""" FREEDOM OF SPEECH""" AND ALL THE OTHER BULLSHIT HAS POSTED A REPORT AND NOT HAD FLACK THROWN BACK?????????

i haven't,,,,,,,,,,thats one,,,,, but i still don't report,,,, thats my choice,,,, WHY,,,

due to the reason why mark,,,,(and T1 in another post) has placed this thread

its not a case of copping it on the chin,,,, its not a case of taking your bat and ball and going home due to the decision that your out,,,

its a case that too many bite the wrong end of the bit and it sticks,,,,

if you all have a case of alzeimers,,,,, think harder or look and read more,,,,

recall the TUNA,,,, world record,,,, and thrown back to the sharks,,,, even i couldn't believe this thread,,, i had 20 cents worth but the majority had the young'un hung

i suppose its open,,,, the art of writing in an open forum can be read by the recipient in a different manner than that of which the author intended,,,,, but in most of these cases it is recalled and explained in its original meaning

when its a REPORT,,,,, the replies are seldom replied upon as a misunderstanding,,,if there is any contention issues,,, and in the majority of times are left,,,, this leaves a conflict on why bother to report again,,,,

whether you agree or not,,,,, to many members now don't report simply due to this reason,,,,, and i believe thats what mark and T1 are trying to say

choppa
    Last edited by choppa; 14-07-2007 at 06:04 PM.
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    do we still have the ignore button, if so, go there put these people on the list & you will never see another post by them... do your own censoring
    Does this mean that you don't see people's posts on forum threads, or only that you don't receive PMs from them?

If someone says something that I don't like I send them a PM telling them that I am not interested in confrontation on a fishing site and then ignore them, but I thought it only ignored PMs, not forum threads.

If you want to see less negative posts, the only thing you can really do is post more positive ones, it's a matter of proportion.

The change I would like to see is removing the political stuff from the front page, as I have to avert my eyes each time I get onto the site to avoid ending up embroiled in conflict I don't have the energy for.

Yes, I could have asked the above question in the help forum, but I thought it might be useful for general awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Snappercoffin I jumped on here this morn to have a look at who's been catchin a few fish and after reading some good reports on some great Snapper catches, thought i would see what your poll was all about.
    I Think you need to get out on the water and suck in some clean air as it sounds to me like that poll you placed was just a way of starting one big fight.

Go fishing! Have fun! and if sombody bags your report (although i dont see to much of that on here), who cares as they are probably upset at not being able to get on the water themselves as they have been under the thumb to get the back yard finished (thats been my story lately anyway). I'm going to head out side now to try and complete some stuff so i can get back to whats important-FISHING.
    If you don't have to do anything in your backyard you should get out to your fav spot as its a good day if you have a look and when you come in stick a couple of picks up so i can give you a loving comment to go with them .

IT IS THE FISHING SECTION, LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!
    Have a look at the poll does 50% need to go and suck up some clean air. Wasn't here to cause a fight as many of people on this post have reminded me I am having my turn at fredom of speach so I can say what I think . After all this I will be starting to put more reports up but they won't be huge catches cause I hardly ever bag out anyway. What is anoying is seeing great catches from an ausfisher then seeing some of the crap people reply with. I would like to know more about the ignore button and how to use it.
    FISHING FISHING AND MORE FISHING. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO?

Quote Originally Posted by SNAPPERCOFFIN View Post

I would like to know more about the ignore button and how to use it.
    The ignore button in my younger days, was that thing in the middle of the face of someone who annoyed you. It was called a "nose". The secret was to impact on this ignore button at a rate of knots with your forehead and then the miserable bugger owning it, would, in future, ignore you and stay out of your way for evermore

kev

Top Tips:

Northerners. On hot summer nights go to bed wearing a shower cap full of frozen peas to cool your head and when you wake up you'll have a tasty mushy pea snack ready for breakfast.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

choppa...I usually post on the odd occassion that I do go fishing...24 bream last weekend..28 the week before and I don't really care what anyone has to say about it...positive or negative means nothing really.

Post Re: Poll on negitive people in fishing reports

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    The ignore button in my younger days, was that thing in the middle of the face of someone who annoyed you. It was called a "nose". The secret was to impact on this ignore button at a rate of knots with your forehead and then the miserable bugger owning it, would, in future, ignore you and stay out of your way for evermore
    you crack me up kev.
    this next bit isn't directed at you either.

opinions are the cheapest commodity on earth, hence the phrase 'my 2 cents worth' - that's why they're used so frequently. who gives a shit about anothers negative thoughts. some just like to stir the pot with their senseless dribble, ignore this mindless bullshit & let it slide. others need to take a good dose of 'toughen the f*#k up', get on with life, keep posting, keep fishing (within the laws of course) & stay true to what you enjoy - having a good time with mates, being out on the water & bringing home a feed or C&R if that's what you want to do.

I'll bet pennies to pounds that most of the 'pro' C&R fishos aren't vegos but wouldn't think twice about tuckin' into a steak. we breed cows for this purpose so
    why can't we breed fish on mass (if fish stocks reach critical levels) if this is their reason behind C&R.

so much testosterone in one place & somethings gotta give (& I do beg your pardon ladies as it seems to be males doing the bitching).

Matt
    Last edited by Mattg68; 14-07-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    c'mon, take the bait....

mmmmm steak....i know what I am having for lunch.

[quote=SNAPPERCOFFIN;651448]So you just joined up today, do you know what this is all about ?
    Or you are a member and just wish to hide your username by joining up under a different one.[/quote]

Maybe we should be practicing what we preach,
    Last edited by predator; 15-07-2007 at 01:01 PM.

An interesting thread. Lots of macho stuff about how it does not matter what people say in response to a report. A pretty natural reaction, I reckon.

However, I cannot agree with that sentiment as it is discouraging when the nasty, sarcastic, cycical responses do come and they could - no, that should be "will" -discourage someone from posting. However, the supportive responses always make up for the negative ones. What is particularly pleasing is that when I have copped a negative reponse or two, they seem to stimulate not only the publicly supportive responses but also one or two PMs also arrive with supportive comments.

For me, fishing is not a livelihood producer; it is not a religion; it is not a way of life (Hmmm - let me think about that one a bit more ), it is not a war; it is not a premiership that must be won; it is not an industry that I am trying to build and profit from. It is a pastime. A bit of frivolous fun that relieves the tensions of the other more difficult parts of life. A carefree reward for a lifetime of hard work and long hours.

Likewise, I treat my reports in the same frivolous, carefree way, as many regular readers will know.

Sure, I put in all the stuff about where and when and tackle and bait etc that you would expect ina fishing report so the purists will not miss out on getting a useful report and I put in pictures for everyone to enjoy - a report without pictures is not as enjoyable to see. But since it is all a bit of fun, I nearly always write some long waffly irrelevant preamble that is intended to create a smile on most readers' faces. After all, the whole fishing exercise is about having fun.

Indeed my biggest regret of late is that I have done so little fishing this year compared to last year that my reports are far too infrequent this year.

Now sometimes I do get a bit of flak for these long waffly reports but when I have shortened them to the bare minimum, I have received far more reponses telling me to go back to writing the long winded anecdotal tales. Far more.

So the moral to the story is that you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you cannot .... ah well you know the rest.

What I have found useful though is the little saying that I have taken guidance from for many years. It comes from the ancient Greek historian Thucycides who said, "Of all manifestations of power, the one that impresses men (sic) most, is restraint."

So, I have always found it useful to never respond immediately, if at all, to confronting webposts or emails because by not responding immediately, I am likely to mess up the head of the of the confronter who is expecting a cat fight. When they don't get one, they often go on to prove that they are truly a goose. Also usually, a bunch of supportive messages from the good guys start to flow creating strength of numbers. Invariably, the goose gets embarrassed, spits the dummy and comes back with some meaningless platitude and the world continues on it merry way.

So I continue to applaud the efforts of others who put in reports of their efforts on the water and I especially love to see the reports that have a light-hearted element to them. It is all just a bit of fun after all.

Would I ban the negative posters? Nah - the world needs boofheads.

Last edited by charleville; 15-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks for that response Charlie and I think it just about sums up what we are likely to forget, or simply miss, in all this. That is, that this site is the friendliest, most welcoming, and supportive site that I have seen since frequenting the net. The supportive and acknowledging responses to our reports, far outweigh those who respond negatively. Let's keep it that way.

kev

Top Tips:

Bird flu could be quickly and easily eradicated by adding a few drops of Lemsip or Daynurse to birdbaths. Obviously, you would have to put Nightnurse in the birdbaths for owls.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAPPERCOFFIN View Post
    Have a look at the poll does 50% need to go and suck up some clean air. Wasn't here to cause a fight as many of people on this post have reminded me I am having my turn at fredom of speach so I can say what I think . After all this I will be starting to put more reports up but they won't be huge catches cause I hardly ever bag out anyway. What is anoying is seeing great catches from an ausfisher then seeing some of the crap people reply with. I would like to know more about the ignore button and how to use it.
    snappercoffin, if you go into your profile you will see a miscellaneous box with a buddies/ignore list. i had to go for a look as i wasn't sure if there was one here .. i don't know if it for posts or just pms. on other boards i have been on you could select ignore & you would not see the posts of those on your list..
    might be worth a pm to one of the mods to get a clearer idea..

i never use them as i like all the crap make me feel like i am not such an ar**hole at times..

As plenty of other people have said this is a public forum and you will get all types of people on here which means all types of responses to any post this means positive and negative replies.
    I like to use the report section as a means of learning from others and putting my own reports up to help others out.Remember we all had to learn from someone.
    As for those that critisise others that have not broken the law well maybe it is time they pulled their heads out of their ar$e and read the rules and regulations of the fisheries before having a go at honest fishos.

Cheers Dazza

I tend to think that some people are over the top in their attacks on guys who put up a report on their catches... I have become mates with a bloke who is an ex member who says he will never come back to Ausfish because he was tired of people throwing shit at his posts / reports.

the LAW ain't the be all and end all. Just because it is legal, doesn't make something moral, conversely just because something is illegal doesn't mean it is wrong or bad. I prefer to use my brain and make my own judgement as to what I do (to a point).

I will be ignoring the new green zones in Moreton bay if I feel I can fish there without getting fined. The whole premise of protecting 10% of habitat and saving certain species from fishers etc is rubbish. On the other hand, a reasonable catch can be exceeded with the current bag limits. For example, the bag limit of cobia is 10. There is no limit on tuna. Three spanish mackerel. 30 school mackerel. IMHO, even three spanish mackerel, average size 10-15 kg is alot of fish and why anyone would want to keep that much as a REC fisher is beyone me. But it would be LEGAL to keep three spaniards, 10 cobes, 30 school mackerel, a few longtails, (plus snapper, sweetlip etc etc) in the current bag limits. This might be legal, but would be immoral to me.

I know there are a few pro line fishers on here, and these comments do not apply to them, they have to make their living. (it would be good if there was a way to easily know who there people are?)

But if any rec fishoes post stories of catching their bag limits of cobes (10), school mackerel (30) etc etc, I will let you know I think you are a shamateur.
    Ain't no one going to censure me, as long as it is within ausfish rules. Jealousy has nothing to do with it . I have had some great days, and plenty of poor days. I mostly fish for trophy specimens on line class, so the total catch is of little interest to me.

I have always followed the rule of keeping enough for my immediate needs and releasing the rest for the future. Filling the icebox and feeding all the neighbours and rellies ain't what it is about (to me).

All just IMHO of course

Jeremy

PS. I do not believe I am one of the people being criticised for being negative, but if anyone wants to pm me a link to a thread or post it up here, go ahead.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 16-07-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: voices in my head
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

OK, so I had a look at the thread where I put someone on my ignore list, and it actually comes up with a little message saying, "This posting is not shown because the person is on your ignore list."

Yes, I should have looked at that yesterday before I did my previous post. It's not like this thread needs to get any longer.

Ignoring is easy enough to do, but you need to remember the name of the person or people you want to ignore.