View Poll Results: Should negtive people be banned from putting replies in the fishing reports section ?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be warned first

88 42.51%
  • Banned from replies and veiwing in fishing reports sections forever

9 4.35%
  • Banned for 2 weeks from replying and viewing fishing reports

24 11.59%
  • Nothing should be done at all

86 41.55%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poll on negitive people in fishing reports

Re: Poll on negitive people in fishing reports

[quotePS: Harden up chaps, that's my vote. [/quote]

Yep gotta agree Got a problem try 131114 They've got trained councillors for any situation.
    keep the posts coming good or bad. They're a good cheap form of entertainment.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Who cares what people write, at the end of the day we are all different!

Get a life!

Quote Originally Posted by capt. mud View Post

Get a life!
    i fully agree with captain mud and also i word out to pistol pete my hair is stayin this way hahaha

i'm sorry to throw in my 20 cents worth,,,, but i agree with mark on this 100%,,,,

it hasn't been to bad of late,,, but go back a few months and the negativity that came from reports was absolute rife,,,,, and yeh,,,, most of those who penned the report have either moved on,,,, or haven't bothered since

it was always a follow on,,,, similar to this thread,,,, greg pens a reply stating """freedom of speech"""" and nearly every response thereafter uses that ground as back up,,,,have a look through most of the reports that turn sour and you'll see the same reaction,,,,,, freedom of speech OR copycat writing,,,, don't care what you call it,,,, but its crap

too many newbies have posted a report,,,,, got shot down in flames in regard to size of catch,,,or quantity,,,,or this or that,,,, and then every response thereafter follow suits,,,,

you have a long term member post a similar post and its handled/replied to different,,,,, AND DON"T SAY ITS NOT UNLESS YOU DO SOME HOMEWORK,,,,,

it doesn't have to be on fishing either,,,, one young bloke got pulled over the coals due to placing a for sale in the wrong forum,,,,,,,

we must remember the report from the swains?????????,,, mmmm

haven't heard boo peep from him since

and what about the ""undersize issue"" debate,,,

list goes on and on,,,

i'm not saying that we need to implement a ""police"" guard over reports,,,, but a bit of common courtesy/decency wouldn't go far,,,,especially when you can read between the lines and see that these guys are excited and want to share their catch,,,,

oh and by the way,,, i haven't posted a report in nearly 6-8 months,,,,, dunno why,,, probably cause i could'nt be bothered

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Get a life!
    If you don't care what other people write why respond ?

Must admit interesting to see people who disagree with my poll writting comments but people who have voted the other way have not written anything.

I put the poll up to see what other's think.
    FISHING FISHING AND MORE FISHING. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO?

You must be bored............................................. .........

You must be bored............................................. .........
    You must be just as bored to reply
    FISHING FISHING AND MORE FISHING. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO?

WOW!!!!
    I have just read every post on this thread and for my two bobs worth, I enjoy reading all posts BUT I will admit that even though I have had negative thoughts about some C&K posts I haven't commented mainly because I don't believe that "I" am "qualified " albeit perhaps justified, it appears as though the negative posts are really quite negative. My opinion would suggest a more constructive response offering advice and or recommendations on the subject irrespective of the topic other than a straight out negative foray ...in closing I really enjoy this site and I should post more on my fishing exploits and I indeed should respond more to others posts as a way of "usually" encouragement..thats my bit anyway.....
    Brett

Freedom of speech is great but there are a few peanuts that stir up and attack people on a totally unrelated post People have a right to comment on the way they feel and express their views, but those that go out of there way to constantly nail heads to the wall should be asked to leave site IMO
    Peter :cool:

Water off a ducks back - or just get the Mrs to reply to the hecklers

Not too many long term members report trips here anymore
    Last edited by Greg P; 11-07-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post

By the way i wreckon whinging polls should be banned in the first place.
    Did you hit the L key instead of the M?

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

What's the old saying? "Listen and learn"? If others didn't voice their objections then wouldn't we be less learned?

I agree that there's been quite a few negative posts, but I don't see how fishing is in any way different to other walks of life..........there'll always be someone to shoot you down, and you have to cope with it or keep your head down in the trench. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, but just stating that it's a fact of life.

The positive side of the negative comments, is that it gives each and everyone of us a chance to gauge others' feelings and opinions about a particular report.

Personally. the reports that get up my nose are the 2 liners that simply say, "went out caught this".............no indication of how they "caught this". For a reports section to be interesting it should also be informative, that way we can all learn off each other.

Learning off each other, I suppose, also includes listening to the "whingers" who decry the keeping of a legal catch that they think is over the top or "morally indefensible". The problem there is, that the whingers may become the majority, and the law abiding fisho who may report a catch of 30 (legally caught) bream, becomes the oppressed minority/leper. It matters not a jot to the detractors, (because they don't know the circumstances) that the poor guy/gal may never have had a catch like that before, or may not be able to fish for another 6 months due to other commitments and is simply stocking the freezer. His total catch for the year may well be less than a detractor catches in a month.

It should also be noted though, that it is the minorities/whingers/detractors who have brought about great social and political change in this century.........take the peace movement/Vietnam as an example. There will always be change and change is brought about by those who voice their opinions, often with little social grace or nicety as unfortunately, it seems symptomatic of our society that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Whether that change is for the better remains to be seen.

Criticism/Objection/Detraction is a human condition and as far as a fishing reports section is concerned, as long as it isn't based in sour grapes but based in a genuine desire to change another persons behaviour for the better, then I see no big deal. The question we must first ask, is just who are we to judge the other person's behaviour as bad, and are we so sure that our criticism is just and founded in fact? Another question we must ask is just how do we voice our objection/ Is it likely that we will achieve results by being polite, treading softly, and making suggestions, or is it less likely that we will achieve results by slagging someone off in public and embarrassing them. If you're so sure of your ground, then what is wrong with a polite PM, that way your case is argued with the person/behaviour that you have umbrage with?

OTOH, if I thought that person had deliberately acted in an illegal or immoral manner and was attempting to pull the wool over the membership's eyes, then I wouldn't hesitate to attempt to "go public" in order to show him for what he was/is. It is a sad fact of life that "quiet diplomacy" fails to work with some folk and that shaming or punishment is then the only recourse for those attempting to achieve change in that person, for the good of others.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

If you're so sure of your ground, then what is wrong with a polite PM, that way your case is argued with the person/behaviour that you have umbrage with?
    Amen to that Brother!!

A bit of light hearted banter and slinging off is OK... I usually make sure I know the person before I initiate that kind of banter - but some of the stuff we have seen lately belongs as debate in other sections... not in the fishing reports section - got to have a look at what section this is and why its here - before initiating any serious debate.

And yeh some of us need to tuffen up - but its not any particular persons job to go around abusing others to ensure that each person has their "tuffness" quota... thats what our school teachers were for

Cheers,

Adam

How tough??

The underlying fact of the matter is that many of the culprits who are guilty have absolutely NO CONSEQUENCE for anything they say on this forum. The most they might get is a banning by the mods, but in the big scheem of things, maybe that is not a real cost to them, because banning is not a big enough consequence.

There is a positive and a negative out of all this, and that is, if it wasn't for the fact we can voice opinions so freely behind the security of the computer, and the internet, half of us would not dare say some of the things we say in mixed company. Pull all AF members into a room and challenge them to say half the things they say on this Forum, and you won't hear boo IMO Because there would be a cost or consequence to voicing an opinion in person. But just like any society, there are those I would prefer not to associate with, and AF is pretty much a cyber society. If I can't resolve an issue with a client in my work profession, I jump into my car and pay them a visit. Very different people in person.....and I find 90% of people are good people, they just seem different when their is no cost involved in some of the things they say over the phone.

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 12-07-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    G'day Ausfishers!

I too am a big fan of freedom of speech. As long as the comments are not of a personal nature they should be allowed to be voiced.

I am now off to Wello in my fifty metre offshore fishing rig.

Cheers,
    Lunatic
    Just watch the depth OK
    We won't want to drag you off the bottom when we go on Friday
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good