Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tinnie Setups/Layouts/Modifications

Tinnie Setups/Layouts/Modifications

Tinnies come in all shapes and sizes, but what Im interested in seeing is how some of you have made your tinnies better, like storage space, placement of batteries, radios, fuel etc, what DIY/Modifications have you guys made to make your tinny a better place to be, could be anything from the simple beer holder to placement of seats, fishing platforms, eskies etc... pics would be great..

reason for the post is im in the market for one, just interested in seeing what some of you guys have done in terms of aftermarket fitout and ingenious solutions

Ps its not intended to be a thread about which brand of tinnie/donk, im interested in seeing good practical ideas

cheers
    Mike

Re: Tinnie Setups/Layouts/Modifications

old 12 foot brooker/ 18hp tohatsu tiller/34 lb electric
    welded a ali battery shelf on left hand side between seat and transom, sounder and gps bracket screwed directly onto seat on lhs, transducer fixed with silicon under rear seat. Glovebox for keys etc in middle seat. Frame made between fron seat and anchor locker and 3 mm ali chequer plate pop riveted to this for a sort of casting deck.
    rough and ready and works for me, ideal for dragging over logs etc when up some rivers
    cheers
    blaze

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    old 12 foot brooker/ 18hp tohatsu tiller/34 lb electric
    welded a ali battery shelf on left hand side between seat and transom, sounder and gps bracket screwed directly onto seat on lhs, transducer fixed with silicon under rear seat. Glovebox for keys etc in middle seat. Frame made between fron seat and anchor locker and 3 mm ali chequer plate pop riveted to this for a sort of casting deck.
    rough and ready and works for me, ideal for dragging over logs etc when up some rivers
    cheers
    blaze
    I'm interested in this thread as well, some pics would be good.

I've got a little 12ft stessl, I haven't had it long but it's an oldie, has a johno 15 on the back.

Has a false floor between the front and middle seat, I am thinking about puting a sounder in and would like to see how other people set theirs up.Also the glovebox in the middle seat sounds like a good idea.

spose i should take some pics of it.
    Last edited by jimbo 69; 22-06-2007 at 12:22 AM.

I bought mine second hand, the previous owner put a good carpeted false floor in, he removed the middle seat to make more space, the gap between the front seat and bow has been covered in marine ply and carpet to suit the floor (seat carpeted to) to make a small casting platform. I put a couple of hinges and a sunken marine hatch handle on it ( the ring type) so now its a handy storage space. the fish finder is attached on the port side of the rear seat. I have a swivel seat in rear only. the eskey sits where the middle seat used to be. I bought the battery from battery world. its only small but big enough to run the sounder, nav lights and fluro light for a decent session ( never run flat yet ) it was to small for propper battery box but battery world said us a lunch box so now thats fitted to the floor tucked under rear set. on the sides where the middle seat was are pieces of carpeted ply, on them are rod holders, knife holders and clips which hold my landing neat and paddles. THe boat is organised and tidy when i'm fishing, everything has it place which makes life easy.
    Last edited by Tailortaker; 22-06-2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Hi Mike - bloody good idea to start this thread mate. Even though I have a larger boat, I keep thinking a tinny would be good tohave for those days where the family doesn't want to come or I need the big V6 to tow to the ramp. Just the image of me in a 12footer........not a lot of room left

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Mike, my tinnie is used as a roof topper, so everything has to be removable. It is a 3.5 m Stacer, so with it's small size I have to try to keep everything in it's place. We spend a lot of time in it when away, so I've also tried to make it comfortable for Kathryn and me.

Floor is removable. Seats are on slides so positioin can be changed. Sounder / GPS is also on a slide and a RAM mount so position and angle can be changed. Extendable landing net is cut to length to fit neatly between thwarts and is connected to side of boat with velcro tape. Platform between front thwart and bow is foot rest for Kathryn and has the battery and some storage space under. Paddles, bait pump and gaff are clipped to back of rear thwart. Glove box in front thwart holds small items that I leave in the boat (torch, suction mounted port/starboard light, etc etc). Have a number of small storage pouches cable tied to spots around boat to hold small tools etc. Floatation vests are under front thwart. Bow mounted Minn Kota up front.

Hope the pics turn out. They are a bit rough and taken in the car port, so not great.

More pics of my tinnie

Last pics. I promise.

Well Mike as soon as I saw this thread I just knew you had the bug to get your own tinnie real bad. Could it have been the weekend in the pin in #2? Well I could post a few pics up but not sure that #2 is a good example and you already know what it looks like. Lol I think I am getting as excited as you mate at the prospects of getting a little boat of your own. Good luck with it all and if there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Hi Mike

I have modified my 4.35 SP sea jay quite extensively, I take no credit for the "thought" process that has gone into the mods as a friend who built custom plate boats for 30 years specified what to do

The mods were
    1) Pods added, this significantly increased the stability and improved the handling of the boat
    2) Grab rail added to back
    3) Step out of water, probably could have come up with something better
    4) Side pockets
    5) Rod rack / spear gun rack
    6) Lockable under bow section and added fuel / storage / seat area
    7) Sliding seat for driver
    8) Side console with lockable storage
    9) Anchor well and bow roller
    10) Front bench seat

All of the above were done by an ali welder

Not to mention the usual, rod holders, bilge pump, nav lights etc

Best of luck

PS Just realised the kids have been playing in the boat again, that's not a real donut by the seat! (the real one is probably under the floor )

Fellas, great ideas here, given me some ideas, funnily enough Paulos Ive pretty much decided to get a Sea Jay Territory which has plenty of floor space, like the storage ideas here, and Norm those sliding seats mate, now thats a hell of an idea,,,, keep those ideas and pics coming, much appreciated

cheers
    mike

mine is completely plain..side pockets..front and rear seats..just a fuel tank deck behind the rear seat...tiller steer motor...everything is basically open..more fishing space.

Paulos00,

Who did your mods?

I'd be interested in fitting a set of pods to my boat.

Luc

Some of the extras on my SeaJay 4M Bass N Barra

Paulos00

How do you find the pods?

Do they have much affect while underway or mainly at rest?

I like the idea of them also.

Thanks john