Thread: Fuel ecconomy 2000+ Prado

Fuel ecconomy 2000+ Prado

Hi guys I'm looking at buying a V6 Prado around 2000 to 2002 model and I was wanting to know what the fuel ecconomy was like. It would also good to know what everyone thinks of Prados.
    Cheers Boar.

Re: Fuel ecconomy 2000+ Prado

i got this info of a web site for ya called the australian news just to cover my a$$ for copyrite

The 3.0-litre diesel engine was the motor of choice in the previous Prado but a new 4.0-litre petrol V6 has turned the tables. With 179kW of power and 376Nm of torque it endows the Prado with a new liveliness. Power, torque and refinement are very good and fuel economy is better than expected.
    We saw 13.3 litres per 100km driving modestly but not meekly in mixed conditions. That's respectable for an eight-seat, two-tonne vehicle. The diesel continues with only minor modifications. There's a more powerful 16-valve version sold in Europe, but we won't see it here until Australian diesel fuel quality improves, Toyota says.

hope thats good for ya cheers nath

How ya living?

Mate has a 04 V6 prado manual. Around town he gets about 16 L/100 and around 14 highway driving.

Apart from that he is stoked with the performance etc.
    he said that the cons out weigh the fuel consumption.

neil

My hilux has the same (5vz-fe) motor as the one you'll be looking at, however tuned a bit differently at the intake length - they couldn't fit the prado motor under the 'lux bonnet, so changed to a shorter one.

With an auto box I return 14-16 l/100kms until I tow bigger things which it will do at under 20l/100kms unless I'm in a hurry-tired-bored-angry-hungry etc, at which point it gets a bit ridiculous on the consumption.

I haven't heard much about breakdowns with them - some heads have gone, but usually in ones which haven't been serviced and have gummed up.

Every 150k is a major with the timing belts etc, and I'd recommend doing the water pump at the same time ' cause chances are you won't get 300k out of the one pump.

Hope this helps as noone seems to have the model you asked about.

C.J.

I have bought a 2000 prado about a year ago and recon it's a great car ,although I dont do any 4x4 work as yet so cant comment on that , like your mate says the pro's outweigh the fuel ,saying that I really wish the prices come down a little!

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

On to my 3rd Prado so obviously I really like them. I'm getting similar fuel economy from the 4.0 litre as I did from the old 3.4l, both ULP. That works out around 13l/100 but I'm doing a lot more highway these days. Can't kill 'em with an axe and reasonable maintenance costs and the large fuel tanks are brilliant as you fill up when the price cycle is at its lowest. Offroad very comfy and durable with fantastic dust sealing (if the rubbers are in good condition).

Have got an '03 TD 3.0 l auto - around town about 12.2 l/100k and on the highway about 11l/100k. Standard Dunlops(get rid of them), no towing. Love the rig but would like one of the D4D models. Anyway......

Seamus

Thanks to everyone for your comments. You have all set my mind at ease.