Thread: Fitting add-on LPG to Turbo Diesels

Fitting add-on LPG to Turbo Diesels

Hi All

Anyone have any thoughts and experience with these new systems.

Apparently they qualify for the LPG Vehicle scheme $2000 grant from the feds as they cut fuel consumption and are supposed to produce cleaner exhaust and lower emissions and give more power too etc etc.

Sounds too good to be true? Apart from the total cost; that is approx $4300 less the grant, for a patrol. Still its cheaper than $45,000 to generate solar power and sell the excess back to the electricity supplier!

Who knows what about this stuff?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: Fitting add-on LPG to Turbo Diesels

can't tell you if they quallify for the grant but truckies have been using this system for a while now with great results.

neil

maybe someone can add or clarify this further,,, but a pamphlet was doing the circles at work a few months back on a south australian company selling these things,,,, i had just traded the bravo to the hilux so it didn't grab to much of my attention,,, but it did say that the grant was honored i'm sure

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

apparently you do get quite a bit of increased power with the gas conversion on a diesel motor. I think you need to consider gearbox pressure drive train etc before you fit . you might find problems where your gbox cant handle the increased force applied

worth checking

Chimo,
    I had it fitted to my Turbo diesel 3.0l 06 Navara a few months ago. I had it done on the Sunshine coast by Torquegas, it is a slightly different system (more basic) to the one you mention and cost about $2750.
    Yes, the rebate applies and is it $2000. I got it back within a few weeks.

As far as the system goes, there has been a problem with the Torquegas systems, in that they introduced a new control component last year and have only discovered over this previous summer that the component cannot handle the summer temperature. It results in the gas system cutting out. Naturally i did not know this when mine was fitted, and i have had the problem up until about the last month, when the temperature was hotter. Anyway they are working on a fix.

As far as performance/economy goes, it definetely improves the power, mine went from 114hp to 122hp at the wheels (dyno figures). The torgue which is not shown on my print out suposably went up by about 40nm.

I recenty did a comparision of economy on a highway trip (4people in car, no towing), where i did one way on diesel/gas and the return trip on normal diesel (you can turn the gas on and off from the dash).
    Using diesel gas i used 7.3l/100km of diesel + 3.1l/100km of gas = 10.4l/100km total fuel.

On straight diesel for the return trip i used 8.9l/100km.

So it basically worked out dollars wise no cheaper with the diesel gas.
    Apparently they say the saving is at its best when towing. I have yet to be able to do a comparision to compare when towing.

They do claim big savings in running cost, but i think in my vehicles case, because it is so good on fuel to start with (8.9l/100km for a 2tonne 4wd, i consider very good) that the gas does not have as much benefit.

It does make the vehicle more drivable, ie most 3l turbo 4wds suffer from bad turbo lag when taking of from a stop. The gas gets rid of the lag and it takes off really well now.

There is a guy in my area with a Patrol 3.0 running the Diesel gas Aust system, i am going to catch up with him to find how his compares to mine.

Regards,
    XR

Hi XR650

Can you give us some feed back regarding the Diesel Gas Aust system when you catch up with the guy?

thanks again interesting info.

Cheers
    Chimo

A friend of mine had gas fitted to his truck doing interstate work and he said that he got better performance out of it but had a lot of trouble with it so he took it off and went back to straight diesel.
    I went to a gas place on the gold coast where brejen was getting gas fitted to his car and enquired about getting gas fitted to the rodeo, 3l t/d, and he said for the cost involved and the little money savings it really not worth the exercise.
    After the rebate from the gov i would still be about $1,000- out of my pocket and to recover that in gas would nearly take the life of the vehicle.
    So i didn't go with the gas but that's my decision. If i had and got that little bit extra power it might have made it just that little bit bettter vehicle when towing.
    Pulling the yalta is a bit hard on it in the hillls but does alright on the flats.
    I am not knocking the fitment of gas as others might have a good run with it, thats just my 2 bobs at this stage.
    Graeme

Thanks Graeme, I was wondering about the cost benefit as well as the quality of the fit up design and while they may not all be the same technically the pay back time for lower distance travelling units would seem to make the exercise less attractive than first appearances.

Cheers
    Chimo

A guy I knew did a DIY job. Used a BBQ bottle straped in the tray! Gave him an obvious poer increase but don't know about economy. Wouldn't recomend DIY though!!

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

I recenty did a comparision of economy on a highway trip (4people in car, no towing), where i did one way on diesel/gas and the return trip on normal diesel (you can turn the gas on and off from the dash).
    Using diesel gas i used 7.3l/100km of diesel + 3.1l/100km of gas = 10.4l/100km total fuel.

On straight diesel for the return trip i used 8.9l/100km.

gee i would of expected a better economy return as you figures give you about 50 cents /100km saving in rough figures
    at that rate it would 200tho it get your money back
    even though 8.9 l/100 km is great