Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Holders on Front bar.

Rod Holders on Front bar.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the legalities of placing rod holders on the front bullbar of my Rodeo.

The only place I can put them is in the middle of the bar. The ends slope backwards, and therefor will put the holders at an angle causing the rods to pass over the middle of my windscreen anyway.

Ideas? Links?

Re: Rod Holders on Front bar.

Hows it going mate
    From my understanding it is illegal to have the rod holder on if there are no rods in it as it is a protrusion that could cause further injury to people if struck, however it is legal to have the holder on the bullbar if it has rods secured in it.
    Russ

Hi Guys ,

as far as I know. It is illegal to have them on your vehicle unless carrying your rods. I have a set I bought which are removable , you just pull a pin out and they slide out of the bracket.
    I got them from BCF.

Quote Originally Posted by russ81 View Post
    Hows it going mate
    From my understanding it is illegal to have the rod holder on if there are no rods in it as it is a protrusion that could cause further injury to people if struck, however it is legal to have the holder on the bullbar if it has rods secured in it.
    Russ
    as long as the rods do not obscure the driver's vision

everyone is correct.
    Need to be removed when not in use.
    Should (if possible) be mounted on the lefthand side to give the driver as much vision as possible.

there have been a few fatal accidents in the years from people not removing their rod holders.
    One case was a Tbone and the rod holders took a chunk out of the driver head.
    not nice at all.

neil

P.S. you can leave them on if you can get the holders below the top and behind the bullbar.

Mini YES all above is correct so this is the holder that use will suit 3" bullbar

Cheers

As per Bingo2

Removable Bull Bar Rod Holder

Attachment 7285
    Last edited by reelchippy; 04-06-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Hi There, I use the same as the photo above. This would suit you cause if your carefull you can twist the pole enough to point the rods on the right angle. I did it to mine over two years ago and still use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by reelchippy View Post
    Mini YES all above is correct so this is the holder that use will suit 3" bullbar

Cheers

As per Bingo2

Removable Bull Bar Rod Holder

Attachment 7285

I have the same on my Lux, they are good as they don't protrude when the holder is removed. But when 4X4ing, they rattle around a lot, even tried drilling a hole tight on the pin with no luck

Quote Originally Posted by bungie View Post
    I have the same on my Lux, they are good as they don't protrude when the holder is removed. But when 4X4ing, they rattle around a lot, even tried drilling a hole tight on the pin with no luck
    Why don't they put s spreader tube inside the smaller tube (to stop the tube collapsing) and put a bolt with nyloc nut through instead of a pin?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

i always find this topic a bit bewildering,,, and yeh i know that there illegal etc etc,,, but then again so is the majority of stuff you see ""bolted"" onto most 4bs nowadays,,,

i've always had em,,,and maybe the late old man is watching over me,,, but i've never had an issue with them,,,

that could be because i've got too much other stuff for the boys in blue to talk about 'though

NSW seems to crack down on this law more,,,, and i can understand the point that if you do hit someone,,,, the smaller impact area of rod holders will cause more damage,,,, BUT so will a bull bar if your doing the legal limit or above,,,

it makes me truly wonder why they don't make it compulsary to have the manufacturers place a warning tag on items stating that if you do buy this item it is illegal to fit it to your vehicle as a permanent item??????????

much the same as rear mounted jerry can holders i 'spose

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    it makes me truly wonder why they don't make it compulsary to have the manufacturers place a warning tag on items stating that if you do buy this item it is illegal to fit it to your vehicle as a permanent item??????????
    choppa
    I agree. I can't understand how it is legal to sell things that are illegal to have on your car. Especially without a warning of some sort.

Thanks for your help guys, I wnet back to a certain boating, camping and fishing store, and swapped the ones I had for the removable ones. Will fit them soon.

What has been said about the leaglity is correct for QLD. But they are COMPLETELY illegal in NSW, with or without rods.

Saying that I have a set too!

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Quote Originally Posted by Brett1907 View Post
    What has been said about the leaglity is correct for QLD. But they are COMPLETELY illegal in NSW, with or without rods.

Saying that I have a set too!

Brett
    If my memory serves OK isn't that only if they project past the front of the vehicle??
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    On the Landy down at Even's my dad mounted the holder on a post which in turn is bolted to the spare wheel carrier in the middle of the bonnet.
    The local copper probably sees it at least once a week and hasn't said anything.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

i strongly believe that at the end of the day it is up to the boys in blue and what crack down has been put in place that makes em either a target or not,,,

a few months back in bundaberg,,, they picked on having trinkets hanging around your rear vision mirror,,, prior to that there was (and still is) a crack down on mobile phones,,, unroadworthy cars,,,hoons,,,, and the list goes on

not stating that if you have holders your exempt,,, but your cars condition,,,, your driving behaviour,, and so forth all come into play,,,

one of my brothers has 2 sets hanging off his bar,,,, lives in nth nsw,,, and has never had a second glance at em,,,

i have travelled to and fro,,,, same thing,,,, this doesn't mean that on my next trip thou' that it will be the same

i get into more strife over the light set up,,,, dunno why??????

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE