Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Low tyre pressures.

Re: Low tyre pressures.

Hey there , I drive the beaches regulary, least once a week. The only time I let my tyres down is if I have to drive 10-30km at high tide but if your smart you avoid high tide ( i only drive high tide when going fishing) I see these guys every weekend with their big rigs all decked out ready for a all terrain winch challenge sitting there dropping their tyre pressure (by the time they do that I'm long gone) than when they're done they struggle to controll the thing in the sand.....I only have a hilux with a small deisel and no turbo...
    Last edited by Tailortaker; 08-06-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Comp gu - 3 tonne
    Camping gear, kids, water - 600kg min?

Maybe they want to stop off at the lakes and have a swim on the way and not just stare at gutters and drive on the hard?

Hilux - 1.5 t
    Bait fishing rod esky full of Woodstock - sounds to me like you drink woodstock - 100kg.

Do the maths - and you thought it was just your excellent driving skills?

Anyone can get on here and bignote themselves and take cheap shots at others - it's not hard.

Took the missus on a beach 4wd course the instructor said dont drop the tyers for all of the obvious insurance reasons.
    Cause I am standing there firmly keeping the mouth shut after beach driving for 25 years
    With all respect to the more experienced the tyers go down after surveying conditions if the truck is unloaded and no trailer tyers stay up. If the trailer is on and a load tyers go down 20 psi its all about the day. I also run BFG's and have no problems strong side wall and good sand bead. If I am running the beach short runs and have sandy tracks to navigate I usually run the Tyers at 20 psi so I dont chew out the tracks where camping. In terms of 4wd I usually click it in for the runs up the beach tracks no point in spinning and straining the car more than necessary and chewing out the tracks. Wish everyone respected the sand tracks a bit more cause it makes a much better ride when they aren't chewed out
    "light gear big fish big fun"

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Comp gu - 3 tonne
    Camping gear, kids, water - 600kg min?

Maybe they want to stop off at the lakes and have a swim on the way and not just stare at gutters and drive on the hard?

Hilux - 1.5 t
    Bait fishing rod esky full of Woodstock - sounds to me like you drink woodstock - 100kg.

Do the maths - and you thought it was just your excellent driving skills?

Anyone can get on here and bignote themselves and take cheap shots at others - it's not hard.
    Woodstock??? Add my camper trailer, Family and gear. I didnt say i only go up the beach to fish.

my first 4x4 experience was doing the beach run from noosa north shore to rainbow beach last year. When we got over on the little barge and just past the first cutting and where the dirt road turns to the left, we stopped to drop the tyre pressure down (first time on the sand and I wasnt gonna take a chance getting bogged) so here I am merrily letting tyres down and some dick in a brand spanka Toyota kleuger (sp?) comes sideways around the corner and tear arses fishtailing up the dirt road flicking stones and sh!t all over us .....breathe 1...2...3..
    Anyways, get to the entrance of the second cutting to be greeted by some allmighty ruts and being first timer was a little intimidating, so slow down, select lowrange, up into 3rd and kept a nice pace......wow easy peesy.....come around the corner allmost near the shute onto the beach and heres ol mate sitting on his axles blocking the way , I didnt stop, I wasnt going to stop untill I got to the hard stuff, so I just turned the wheel still in 3rd low range and climbed up out of the rut into the super soft stuff and made my own tracks around him, the look on the guys face was priceless. Gave him the two fingered wave and me and the wifey had a good laff. My truck is a little 2002 2.7 litre petrol trayback Hilux and the most high tech thing in it is the retractable cupholder that dissapears into the dashboard

ps If the kleuger fool was in any real bother ie near the water line, I would have lend some assistance.....maybe. He did have a little shovel, so we left him to it.
    Last edited by ashh; 09-06-2007 at 09:56 PM.

well Done assh, sounds like he got what was comin.

Was over at Moreton on the weekend - the video they show on the micat ferry has Ken Brown talking about tyre pressures. On the vid he says they can't recommend dropping pressures due to legal reasons (someone in a prang where they identified tyre pressures as an issue), however he suggested that most old-timers and beach regulars use 18psi (not a recommendation - just saying what people use). If it is good enough for Brownie and his mates, it's good enough for me. He would know better than any one of us.

The only people I have had to recover in sand are those who haven't lowered their pressure!!

Watched the Fraser DVD by 4WD Monthly, very informative. Lowering pressure doesn't really widen the tread, but lengthens it. They even measured htis! Roothy got stuck (I think he made sure he got stuck) then let his tyres down even further and drove straight out!

I have never got stuck in sand and I always run 18psi off road. BenDover is right too, at the Mt Mee weekend, with lowered pressur and rear diff locked I ran some tracks in 2WD with LuckyPhil that we probably should have use 4WD for.

BUT!!!! Your standard highway tyres fitted to most 4WD's are not built to handle high speeds or extended driving trips at low pressures, they aren't designed for ANY 4WDing at all; hence the HT rating. If you are going to some 4WDing i would reccommend getting some All Terrain tyres fitted, which brand has been covered repeatedly so I won't go into it. I run Cooper ST currently and have run Bridgestone Dueller AT's previously. The bridgies were better on road and the Coopers are better off road. If you only do one trip per year then I would reccomend the bridgies (from the AT tyres I have run).

My next set will be Cooper STT cause with my work (earthworks) and the 4WDing I think they will be a better choice for me. Oh yeah, when I get the STT's I want to put Staun internal bead locks in too so I can drop pressure even further.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Chisel,

We used to have to do 'advanced' offroad driving courses each year for work - yeah tuff I know, but work required us to do some difficult things with them, and being lease vehicles they were mostly bog standard low slung cruiser wagons that needed all the help they could get to tow trailer loads of equipment up beaches.

The instructor was one George F0*&%$ before he got famous and went on T.V.

He stated that he would be open to litigation if he recommended lowering tyres below the placarded pressures. What he stated as part of the official course notes and what actually happened to get the vehicles to work in sand were two different things though.

Hey thanks brett, Yeah definately go the beadlocks mate. We have played with tire pressures and diced with death a few times in the bush on some very hard runs. Ive run 5 psi in my 35's before without beadlocks and watched it wrap right around some wet mossy shailly rocks going up water fall and didnt slip a bit. But now when i think back to then i probably wouldnt do it again. Its pretty hard to do a extreme grade hill when your half way up and lose a tire and there is only 1 way you can go from there... and thats up. Ill buy a carton of beer for the guy who invented the topmount winch.

ps. i only ran 5 psi because it takes forever to drop 35's, so i took my valve stems out and misplaced 1 . 7 psi recomended for 3 ply sidewall.
    BD

when off road in the dirt I drop my tyres down to 15. when Im on the beach I drop them to about 20. one thing you need to keep in mind is with low tyre pressure keep you speed down (nothing over 80 km)
    Me and two mates were up in the tracks at DI , the two 4b's that had lowered their tyres made it up the soft climb, but the cruiser had 4 attempts and did not make it. he then deflated his tyres and made it straight up.
    It takes 5 mins to deflate/reinflate your tyres
    how long does it take to retreive a boged 4b on a remote track.

the choice is yours