Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low tyre pressures.

Re: Low tyre pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Sorry Bastard i didnt know i speaking to the last year winner of the Dakar rally.I grew up on a farm far about 70 km from town .Back in those days we drove ourselves to school with mates in a 4b at the age of 12.Now, because they were no roads to speak off it was done in 4wd country in mud up to 2 -3 feet deep.Would that qualify as an experience ?Furthermore i yet to get bogged on the beach.Now you can roll those pretty smilie eyes.
    By the way if you look at the rangers 4b next time you will find they running a skinny ,tall tyre fully inflated.But hey what would they know about 4wd-s after all they spend about 40 hours a week in them driving trough rugged country.I think its my time for eyerolling
    George
    This car you speek of that drives through 2 to 3 feet deep mud must be twin locked and run 44 inch boggers,cant wait to see it.

Ha, i must of skipped that message from manchild (bit rude there manchild, but you did appologize)!! Funny... Its not his falt bastard and not worth argueing about. Obviously just doesnt know with qoute like that about the rangers. I have never been bogged on the road either manchild.

I THINK THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT, ITS GOOD TO BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU CAN DO IN YA 4BIE. AND ITS FUN AS LEARNING (UNTIL YOU START BREAKING THINGS) BUT WHAT SOME OF US HERE (WHO ARE INTO RACING THEIR 4BIES AND TAKEN A LIFETIME OF KNOWLEGDE AND ENDLESS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN THE COMP SCENE TO FIND OUT). IS WHAT WE ARE SHARING WITH YOU!! But on the beach, let them down if ya wanna and if not, no dramas either. Just dont go thinking your the king because you didnt get bogged. Because most of you are still very limitted in your trucks anyway. Solong as you are happy with it, Thats all that matters.
    Last edited by BenDover; 02-06-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Hi Guys

Anyone here recall the way the original "T" model Ford was shod and the horse trails, mud and slush they used to traverse with the narrow wheels and tyres they came equipped with?

Not to say they never got bogged or "stopped for a while" as we, who used to have to drive what the govt gave us used to say until we got ourselves out and got going again so we could go home.

Not that I'm saying that I used to drive "T"s but there were similarities.

Anyhoo keep having fun..............thats what this is aboot, right?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I have had two tyre failures that were caused by separation of the tread from the body of the tyre (two different brands, by the way). I put these down to too much driving on deflated tryes. But what do you do? One of the two serious "boggings" that I have had was with the tyres at highway pressure - I was in too much of a hurry to drop pressures.

I will still reduce the pressure, but not below 20 psi, unless circumstances warrarnt a lower pressure.

Mike

Whatever,first of all bastard you stuck into me not an other way around .Secondly they were the original army jeeps cause thats all you can get those days ,4bs built for the public were around but very basic things with no lowrange .Third ,we were talking about soft offroad beach and bushdriving.Four,if you think experience doesnt count you are a fool.Fifth and final tought -just because someone have a different opininon that doesnt give you the right for belittlement .
    Im finished with this tread.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

i just got back from pennyfeather (sp) towing a 4.35 tinny, the small sand hill i had to get up i tried 2times getting up with fail, and useing both lockers, third time i droped tyres down to 8lb ( the creepies dont bag out untill about 10lb) and got up no probs, with only the rear locker

Daz

Yep, im exactly the same way crackerjack. When your tyres are deflaited there is soo much less work on the engine aswell... Not belittleing you manchild (my appologies). But there are ALOT of factors aswell people dont look into. But ill sum it up for seriously soft inland sand tracks.
    1. Bigger tyres (33's min) for the tyre ruts so you dont diff out.
    2. suspension travel for the ruts and height of cabin (i have seen 4 new hiluxes with bent up sidesteps on fraser)
    3. Bigger tyres meen more horse power needed for steep hills plus a rear locker or lsd. Low range doesnt work in soft sand unless your in 4th or 5th.
    4. Deflaited tyres... Depending on what brand and how hard your sideways are on the pressures. 3ply you can go as low as 5psi.
    5. experience... Do it asmuch as you can and as often .

Hey Ben dover what sort of car do you have?

I had a 75 series cruiser ute. With a supercharged 4.5 petrol. And mods galore 5' suspension lift with custom leafs etc.. body lift.. Reverse shackles, rehardened cv joints with rienforced diff housings. Tones and tones of stuff. Was even going to put coil springs in it. But decided to sell it and bite the bullet and just get a gu patrol (coil cab) ute. I need a 4x4 ute for work and there really isnt anything better than patrol in that field. But the thing was SOOOO damn slow. And even the best turbo and intercooler set up, exaust etc.. Best they could offer me was (off memory) 210kw at the fly. So i dumped that engine and put a worked 5.7 gen 3 in there and she goes much much better now . 390kw at the fly and 300bhp
    BD
    What are you running?

I thought I recognised you from OL.com Ben.....

Sorry gbc, i dont know what OL.com is mate!! But i only know of 1 other guy with a Holden gen 3 in his 4x4. So thats only makes 2 in aus... As we searched and called everyone in the 4x4 industry for help!!! (Marks 4x4 adaptors are doing 1 now) The others that are getting around are just basic ls1 import crate motors and are nowhere near as fast as the aussie ones. Found that out the hard way, thats why my truck was off the road for 6 months! To do my engine conversion. 2 engines from the same manufacturor CHEV and different everything ,sensors and sending unit in different location. Different sumps. Water pumps that dont fit eachother. For some reason the aussie gen 3's are way more high tech and advanced and the more computer programs and sensors you can adapt and run the faster it goes! Brett and Dale from ontrack 4x4 did mine and said thats the only 1 they are ever going to do!! Apart from 1 for himself . As first run on the dyno i matched his race truck that he has spent 20k on engine internals. And the other guy who has 1 and compete's with it had to turn his computer down because it didnt like corners and he couldnt get the power down!! He had much more than me (330bhp) and spent bugger all to get it but told me not to do it.
    Last edited by BenDover; 04-06-2007 at 04:01 PM.

There's a bloke on outerlimits chat room with a gen3 in a GU wagon - thought it might have been you.

I just leave mine at 18lbs all the time. Only have a few kms of bitumen to do each day and about 20km of sand. Never had a tyre drama from underinflation and still do 100kph at low tide. Take the cuttings to and from Teewah in 2wd after rain and only engage 4wd when the sand dries out.

No not me mate... But i bet you $100 its a base model ls1 import. well i hope so anyway

Hey Ben dover sorry for the late reply but our dog killed our computer,i have a hilux.