Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Brumby's

Subaru Brumby's

Hi guys it's time to move back to QLD YAHOOO! and I need to buy a second car as the missus is going up a month early. I've decided to find a Brumby to get around in cheap and it can go a few more places than a standard 2wd. Just wanted to ask those in the know what to look out for when buying them so i dont get stung on something i should have picked up. every car of that vintage has it's own quirks so i figured i should know before i buy. Obviously C.V.'s are always an issue but is there anything else?

Im looking to buy in the next week so i need to be quick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated??????

Cheers Chris

P.S. please feel free to PM me if you know someone that has one for sale!!!

Re: Subaru Brumby's

Do you really need the ute as the Brumby's were 4 speed and a lot of the wagons 5 speed.
    For some reason the utes are way more pricey as well.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hmmm pretty small under powered ute, think i would rather have a Suzuki tray back. At least you know there slow, but a more capable 4WD.

Yeh i know the utes are pricey but that's what i want. Just something i can throw gear in the back and go. I'm told that they go places that suprise most people so i may try some 40 mile gutters this winter. Do you know if the wagon 5 speed will bolt strait into a Brumby? I might try going to the Wreckers and sourcing a 5 spend when i get one.

Cheers Chris

Bet I have this all wrong but are Brumbys still registerable? I thought the Govt was thinning their ranks.

cheers fnq

FNQ why would they stop being registered?? Good little car as far as i'm told.

Cheers Chris

hey lovely,

Mate i used too own 92 model thats the last one they ever made best little uet around and still are in my opion hope too get one myself one day soon as far as the 4wd i was in nsw when i owned mine and i honestly took it everywhere my mates took there hiluxs there unbreakable my dad is subaru dealer back where i grew up the reason the stoped making them is cause of the stupid goverment made new rules and sadly the brumby could'nt comply with them anyway i really do hope u find one as they are great little utes

Cheers
    Mark

Gday Chris,I have had 2 Subaru utes.Both of them were great cars.
    Rust,CVs,gearbox noise,oil leaks and broken door handles were the only things that went wrong with mine.They went places that they just shouldnt have and I dont know many cars of that vintage that you could slam into 4wd at 80km and drive straight into a wet paddock.
    I dont know if I would be buying one now though.Its 15? years or so since they stopped making them.

Toddy

we just bought a scooby do ute , it came from mungindi in nsw , we bought it unregistered from a car yard in brisbane for 2,000 and its a great little car got it passed for rego and we scoot about in it all over the place, took it for a run up to agnes not so long ago. we dont have one bit of rust in ours and we went out and bought a rust inhibitor straight up as we have two scooby doos (one is mine forester ) got a set of 14 inch wheels needs a two inch lift kit (0n its way)
    regarding the five speed you need an adaptor tail shaft and obviously a good five speed gear box for any other info go to the subaru site on the net au subaru . com all one word give that a go cheers

I sold my Brumbie almost 12 months ago, fantastic little ute and quite capable for a 4WD too. They love to chew CV's, the window handles fall off, they make lots of funny noises. They aren't state of the art, but for what you pay for, they are great, chuck the rubbish in, load it up with fishing gear, tow a small tinny, cheap to register and run. Geez I miss the beast.
    Had to get a dual cab with the new baby arriving.
    Mine was a 1990 unleaded, no air con or power steer, but it was a straight rust free western car originally and serviced me well for over 10 years. The young girl who bought it, loves it and she regularly has people trying to buy it for goodly sums of money. They love to hot them up with turbo motors lift kits, noisy exhausts etc.
    A good one will cost $4k to $5K because they are as rare as rocking horse......
    If you can find one, get it, they are fast becoming collectors items.
    Tim

Hi guys thanks a heap for the help. I've found one i like and have committed to buying it this weekend. I actually havent driven it yet which sounds scary but im assured it's as good as gold. I said i'd never do that but as long as it doesnt smoke like snoop dog ill be buying it this Saturday. 4sp Manual, Bull, tow, Roll bar, CD and Air. Tyres are good and apart from a very small dint under the passenger door its clean as. I'm paying a little more than i wanted but that will go towards peace of mind.

Cheers Chris

Would just check the history on the Timing belt. Thats all. they often get negleted.

PS its an awesome car. For some reason they were a favourite in the Subaru work I worked in.
    Why is all the good weather around on weekdays?

RCG008 I thought of that but im not sure he has logg books. If he's doesn't how can i be sure its been done? Will it be a matter of taking it to a mechanic and getting him to pull it down?

Cheers Chris

howd ya go with that rust inhibitor number i gave you, hope it was of some sort of help , yeah we had a door handle thing go on us , scored another one .
    ours is also a 92 model no power steer, no air con (windows lol) but its a great little beast to fly around in.
    people are very keen on these cars we got ours for 2000 and people are saying gees you scored well could get five for it . so good bargain .
    hope you got into that site the subaru site ok,it has heaps of info in it, also we are intending on taking our scooby do on a rally hopefully next year , once we ve found some body to operate our business so we can take a holiday we own a suck truck business, no not sucking poo or anything contaminated just potholing for telstra , energex and such. three years in business this year so going well.

we called the business sucked in ???? vacuum excavations suits the name huh.
    hope ive been of some sort of help for ya lovey have fun in that scooby do.
    cheers

I drive an lseries sub wagon, not bad just underpowered.

Look out for rust around the front doors, lifter tick (annoying as hell) and blown gaskets.

They are easily modded, including ej22 liberty engines and so forth,

If anyone needs any info about moddifying, buying or repairing old subaru 4wds, go to the link below. they are more than helpful

http://thebackyardboys.com/