Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cast netting

Cast netting

I am interested to know whether other ausfishers have any concerns about cast netting.
    Some of you may know I have been pretty strident in the past about trawling, and the damage it does.
    This has caused me to think hard about by-catch in cast nets.
    This form of fishing has exploded in the last few years, and I worry about the cumulative effects of all this .
    Let me say here that I have several nets and I do use them. I am beginning to question the wisdom of this though.
    I realize, that up north there is a safety aspect to this, so I am not debateing that, but I am interested to hear some views
    Regards
    rando

Re: Cast netting

I think this comes under the old double standard banner, "it is OK for me to do it, but ban everyone else (pros)" might get a blast for that statement but I feel it is the way WE rec fisherpeople are, one sided in almost everything!

Rando.

I feel that there would be more collateral damage through trawel netting then bait or cast nets. The trawel net is dragged along for a considerable amount of time, exerting pressure on the contents of the cod end. Where as a cast or bait net is only in the water for a very short amount of time. Even if the trawler operator was considerate enough to return the bycatch to the water, I think the survival rate would be minimal. In the case of the person using the cast or bait net, then the bycatch can and should be returned asap, thus reducing the stress on the bycatch.

My grandchildren enjoy it when I beach the cast net and they help identify and release the bycatch.

Happy Easter to all.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot

but it is still OK to use a 'drag net" for prawns, which is dragged (by hand) over the bottom, the same as a trawler but WE think this is OK!

Before I start...............or you do.................no, I don't have double standards. (I think?) My cast netting is never done "blind" other than my first chuck.

If I can't see 'em after one chuck, then I don't chuck the net again. Apart from the futility of it, my buggered back wouldn't stand it.

When I go cast netting, I go with a particular spot in mind and with the intention of causing minimal disturbance and conserving maximum energy.

I am amazed at the hordes of guys that I see anchored in one spot and chucking for hours and hours in the vain hope that the prawns will suddenly appear in that location and miraculously find their nets. Yes, I have known it happen that way, but that has been down to a particular state of the tide, and a bit of local knowledge would have negated the need for chucking the net prior to that state of the tide.

I target herring, prawn and mullet and rarely catch anything else other than the odd scat or butter bream. A couple of weeks ago I landed on the biggest shoal of trevally imagineable and reported it here. That was totally unavoidable and I have never known trevors caught in that quantity before in that manner, but that's a one off.

I can't speak for others but I consider my cast netting forays to be exactly as my fishing.........I know what I'm after and I target 'em with the minimum of fuss and disturbance to the environment Yes, cast netting and push/pull netting does cause "bottom degredation" if done in the same spot consistently over a long period of time, but I would think this pales in comparison to the heavy weight of a drag chain being dragged across the sea/estuary bed for kilometres, and several times daily, as is the case of the Pine River. The raising of silt alone would be cause for concern in a small area such as the Pine.

If I need any reason to ease my conscience, then I would simply consider my impact in obtaining bait, compared to the impact of the Pine Trawlers which would have to provide me with bait if I wasn't catching it myself. The way I see it, I am in some obtuse way, contributing to the demise of estuary trawling. If we all caught our own, there would be no need for the buggers now, would they?

But yes Rando, to get to the point of your concern, and it is good that you raise the subject, I am concerned. particularly when I see 12 tinnies in 50 sq metres at the "highway hole" all chucking away for nothing more than a litre of prawns. It could be argued that the prawns still turn up there, so what damage can be happening compared to the original gravel working? All we can do is do as we expect the pros to do and that is to minimise our impact to the best of our ability.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

No insults meant from me, it has just been a "pet" hate of mine for ages, that WE and I repeat we (because I am a rec fisho as well) all seem to be in the habit of making rash statements about banning everything that has some affect on OUR fishing, the big one at the moment is the marine Park debate, it is an outrage when someone wants to stop us from fishing, but any means to stop a pro is met with applause, which to me at least smacks of a double standard, so please do not take this as anything personal, but I just like to get across the "other side" as well.

Mate i own about halfe a dozen or so cast nets ive made over the years and YES i have a concern also ..
    Concerned cause i aint usin em enough and worried the moths or whatever may chew the hell outa them before one more good toss!!..
    Dream about the times gone past of that bulge top of the net when a good toss was made over a school of good bananaries...
    or!! meshed out with golden yorky fer salmon or jewie bait..
    Or , nah wont go there ..

Noel, my remarks re "double standards" were not directed at your response to this thread although it may look that way. I appreciate that the pros and ex pros at this site have had a lot to contend with and in the main, have done it in a gentlemanly manner, unlike some who have opposed them.

I was simply trying to illustrate that I am aware that in some way cast netting is destructive whilst at the same time comparing it to the damage caused by a drag chain.

I have always tried to present both sides of the issue of seabed degradation and by-catch from a neutral standpoint, and am not blind to the fact that reccos also have a lot to answer for whilst at the same time the professional industry is, in the main, doing it's best to correct past errors and strive for a sustainable fishery.

It's good that Rando raised the issue............anything that makes us pause for thought and look in our own back yard can only be of benefit to the fishery as a whole and to individuals, be they pros or reccos. It's been said by many on this site that we (pros and reccos) have to work together, and in the time that I have been at this site, this view is aired a lot more than it once was. There will be a time that reccos and pros will be reconciled but unfortunately, I can't see that happening fully until there is an equitable by-back of estuarine licences.

Sorry if this has gone off thread but I am passionate about the issue of estuarine trawling. I am also just as passionate about the advances that I have seen in BRD's, and the help that I have been given by fisheries and pros in the research that I did into those BRD's. It was the best thing that I ever undertook because it changed how I viewed those who fished for a living. I strongly believe that the Industry has taken giant steps recently and I also believe that sooner or later, the reccos will be called upon to also take giant steps.........whether those steps will be justified by (the correct) scientific research, remains to be seen.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

There is no doubt that reccos tossing nets for bait or prawns generate by catch. And no doubt that the said nets generate turbidity.
    Granted individually, this is minor compared to a single shot from a trawler.
    My concern is the collective result.
    Yes, I work quickly to return the by-catch from my net.
    But Ive noticed a distinct reduction in return for effort for both prawns and bait, particularly mullet, and i am concerned that we are hitting the bottom of the food chain too hard.
    I am not pointing any fingers ,I cant afford to do that.
    Its worth examining this a bit I think.
    Cheers
    rando

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    I am concerned. particularly when I see 12 tinnies in 50 sq metres at the "highway hole" all chucking away for nothing more than a litre of prawns. It could be argued that the prawns still turn up there, so what damage can be happening compared to the original gravel working? All we can do is do as we expect the pros to do and that is to minimise our impact to the best of our ability.

kev
    do you reckon the bottom of the pine is anything but mud and crap
    but to get to the point how many people do use cast nets better still how many can chuck em properly . I know I 'm not one of them and where I cast I know I could'nt distroy it more than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by clone trooper View Post
    do you reckon the bottom of the pine is anything but mud and crap
    Exactly. I've seen the trawler pass within 5 metres of those tinnies. The damage has already been done by trawling, past gravel extraction, and run off.

One thing that makes me curious though, is how come if I drop a hook down there I get snagged? but the trawler can trawl with no problems

kev

mullet are one of the major commercial species in SEQ. The roe is worth big bucks. THAT is why the mullet are getting fewer.

By catch in cast nets is minimal and whatever is not wanted is returned to the water alive by the vast majority of fishers who use them. Also there is a limit on how many times most people can physically throw a cast net, limits on where it can be used, and when you have enough bait for a session, the net is put away so you can go fishing.

As for double standards and pro bashing, yes that might occur to a small extent, but lets get serious. Really!!! I have not seen a drag net used for years. I have one and have not used it for 5-6 years. You never go deeper than the neck ,and rarely deeper than your waist. There are few areas where they can be used effectively as the bottom needs to be firm, free of rocks and snags, and gently sloping. It is impossible to drag them over a weed bed as it just gets too heavy very quickly.

Honestly Noel, you cannot be serious comparing the effects of cast and drag nets to the environmental and dead bycatch damage done by (for example) beam trawling in rivers and estuaries?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

NO I am not comparing the two methods of fishing, but it remains that a lot of rec anglers (me included) do use cast/drag/scoop/dilly/lift whatever nets to get our bait,(and food) now I am not saying by any comparison that a single person using a net (or even a hundred) will do as much damage as one single trawler in one single trawl does, but it is a simple fact that we DO some damage and choose to say it is OK because we return unwanted catch quickly (very true) but we still do it and even if minor, we do damage to the bottom, even with anchors and stuff, but I still say I am not picking on anyone, or defending anyone (pro or rec) there is just two sides to it all, and in a small but very widespread way, we do some damage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Honestly Noel, you cannot be serious comparing the effects of cast and drag nets to the environmental and dead bycatch damage done by (for example) beam trawling in rivers and estuaries?

Jeremy
    all moreton bay and beam trawlers adhere to strict legislative requirements as to the inclusion of Bycatch reduction devices [brd] and turtle excluding devices [teds]. Morton bay fishers were pioneers in the field of teds with these devices being in common use a good ten years before they were a legislated requirements.
    Moreton bays professional fishers [crab,prawn and line] have worked very hard to develope and implement an Environmental Management System [EMS] which was the recipient of the DPI&F sustainable production and best overall contribution to sustainable production awards in 2006. We aim for sustainable harvest achieved through recognizing and limiting our impacts.
    re hoppers; moreton bay fishers are working on a govt. funded project to determine the costs and practicalities with regard to hoppers. you cannot just lump an extensive and heavy apperatus on the back deck of a vessel without research done into vessel stability and safety.
    as to the repeated calls for the banning of beam trawling .
    a DPI&F study [DREDGE 1983] found that
    " disturbance by beam trawlers was 'imperceptable' relative to the major environmental disturbance in the region caused by barrage construction, siltation and pollution"
    a sepate UQ study concluded that the ' recreational sector would recieve no benefit from the closure of the beam trawling in QLD'.
    WMB Oceanics conclude after an exhaustive hydrographic studies in the bay and surrounding tributaries "there is little evidence to conclude that beam trawling is having a significant impact on either stocks or habitats of species targetted in recreational fisheries'
    so please folks next time you want to bag out the beamies feel free but at least have the grace to preface your comments by ' despite the overwhelming evidence showing that beam trawling has minimal impacts on stocks and habitat'.......
    blah blah blah. its your personal opinion nothing more.
    i would urge all fishers on this site to visit the Moreton bay access allience web sit for links to see what it is fishermen are doing in the bay to ensure sustainable harvest.

bay trawler
    isn't it funny how one eye people only see what gets up the nose , ask any of these people what and how modern trawl gear works and I bet 99% of them are wrong. the damage was done years ago by the old heavy gear that is no longer used , get with the times , TECNOLOGY is in there somewhere gee I must have left it on the wharf again "bugger"
    most people would crap them selves if they saw the gear my father used in the bay 35 years ago and now "castnet damage"
    give me a break
    pickers