Thread: Mangrove jack only damn?

Mangrove jack only damn?

I know a few damns get stocked with barra and Jacks etc. But I have never heard of anyone pulling a jack from an impounment.

I assume its one of 2 things, the barra are more dominant and eat em, Or jacks dont survive in impoundments well?

If jacks do survive I rekons theres a good case for someone doing a jack only damn if there already isn;t one?.

I know I would go to a damn to catch a few jacks, good change up from barra only
    Last edited by Flex; 13-04-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Re: Mangrove jack only damn?

they should do that to caloolabin dam in the sunny coast it is perfect 4 them
    figjam :wink:

They stocked some in Tinaroo Dam, problem is they are now that big you simply can't get them out of the timber!

Talking with DPI yesterday and they reckon mainstream stocking is a long way off. There is also still some issues with production of fingerlings at this stage, but how good would a 40lb jack be!!!!!

40 pounder should go pretty hard in the timber I reckon. They should easily hit that size, probably a fair bit bigger, gonna give a few people brown jocks I think. Can't wait.

Dave.

At this stage there have only been 4 dams/ weirs stocked with jack they are

Coperloade -Carins(not sure of the spelling sorry)
    Tinaroo
    Aplains weir - Townsville
    and Lake Awoonga

As far as i know there have been recaptures from the last 3 as copeloade is closed to fishing but was stocked as a trial by the QDPI, but i can only speak for certain of Awoonga with at least 6 or8 confirmed recaptures from there and when you consider that there have only ever been 13 to 14,000 released thats not bad when you consider the size of the dam.

The problem with Jack is the production of fingerlings which is a real bottleneck for stocking at this stage but we are working on it and have been for a number of years now so fingers crossed.

Anyway i hope this has been of some help

Andrew

hi andrew been getting any good fish or 2 busy