Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better stop fishing on Mars! Global Warming now affecting the Red Planet

Better stop fishing on Mars! Global Warming now affecting the Red Planet

Well thats it!! I can see the Greenies now calling for fishing closures as a response to stop the climate change phenomenon now sweeping the entire solar system. A report released on Thursday indicates that Mars is also undergoing major climate Change.

Similar reports have also come in from Saturn and Pluto. Better go stick up the Green no go zones around the solar system before its too late; carbon emissions and overfishing are gunna wreck the entire universe in 20 years!!

Reminds me of Chicken little: "The sky is falling - the sky is falling"

Gimme a break!!

If you havent heard the news - heres a couple of links.....

Climate change sceptics seize upon Mars study: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=259649

Mars hots up:
    http://www.nature.com/news/2007/0704.../070402-5.html

Re: Better stop fishing on Mars! Global Warming now affecting the Red Planet

"a new US study revealing that Mars is also heating up — without the help of humans".

I checked out the links, Adamy a bit alarmist mate geez talk about global warming, what happens when blokes from this forum eat chilli. ... enough to worry about our own planet i reckon.. most of the worlds is eating curries these days anyway... no hope we are all doomed. crikey better check my green zones
    cheers
    Mike

I liked this comment from the linked story:

"But Neville Nicholls, a climate scientist at Monash University in Melbourne, said the results do not prove we are not to blame for climate change."

Sorry Neville, but the way it works is that climate scientists are supposed to be the ones proving that we ARE to blame for climate change, not the other way around!

Mankind 'can't influence' climate says Australian expert

MANKIND is naive to think it can influence climate change, according to a prize-winning Australian geologist. Solar activity is a greater driver of climate change than man-made carbon dioxide, argues Ian Plimer, Professor of Mining Geology at the University of Adelaide and winner of several notable science prizes. "When meteorologists can change the weather then we can start to think about humans changing climate," Prof Plimer said. "I think we really are a little bit naive to think we can change astronomical and solar processes."

Speaking last night after presenting his theory for the first time, to the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy in Sydney, Prof Plimer said he had researched the history of the sun, solar and supernovae activity and had been able to correlate global climates with solar activity. "But correlations don't mean anything, you really need a causation," Prof Plimer said. So he then examined how cosmic radiation builds up clouds. A very active sun blows away the cosmic radiation, while a less active sun allows radiation to build up, he said. "So you can very much tie in temperature, cloud formation, cosmic radiation and the sun," he said.

The next part of Prof Plimer's research was to examine the sources of carbon dioxide. He said he found that about 0.1 per cent of the atmospheric carbon dioxide was due to human activity and much of the rest due to little-understood geological phenomena.

Prof Plimer also argued El Nino and La Nina were caused by major processes of earthquake activity and volcanic activity in the mid-ocean ridges, rather than any increase in greenhouse gases. Nor does the melting of polar ice have anything to do with man-made carbon dioxide, he said. "Great icebergs come off, not due to temperature change but due to the physics of ice and the flow of ice," Prof Plimer said. "There's a lag, so that if temperature rises, carbon dioxide rises 800 years later. "If ice falls into the ocean in icebergs that's due to processes thousands of years ago."

On the same basis, changes to sea level and temperature are also unrelated to anything happening today, he said. "It is extraordinarily difficult to argue that human-induced carbon dioxide has any effect at all," he said.

Prof Plimer added that as the planet was already at the maximum absorbance of energy of carbon dioxide, any more would have no greater effect. There had even been periods in history with hundreds of times more atmospheric carbon dioxide than now with "no problem", he said.

The professor, a member of the Australian Skeptics, an organisation devoted to debunking pseudo-scientific claims, denied his was a minority view. "You'd be very hard pushed to find a geologist that would differ from my view," he said. He said bad news was more fashionable now than good and that people had an innate tendency to want to be a little frightened. But Prof Plimer conceded the politics of greenhouse gas emissions meant that attention was being given to energy efficiency, which he supported. The professor, who is writing a book on the subject, said he only used validated scientific data, published in reputable peer-reviewed refereed journals, as the basis of his theories.

Source

Its getting that way you dont know who to believe. Well I guess I dont have to worry about whos right or wrong as Ill be long gone by then.
    Last edited by fishingjew; 13-04-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Fishingjew that's a great article and in a lot of ways reinforces some of the real the real scientific principles/basics I was taught at UNI but with some new twists.

CO2 is a known joke as a greenhouse gas the processes are understood well enough to conclude 10 years ago what the state of play was.

The science has not changed only the mindset, it's frustrating watching the degree all this propoganda will waste peoples lives and my daughters, most of the general advances in cleaner behaviours are based on fact and the need was recognised.

I guarantee 100% that very much less than 10% of the worlds scientists believe anything to do with global warming apart from the fact that as a theory it is possible, but first to believe it as in a conclusion they would need evidence that cannot easily be dismissed by solid and accepted science as false or baseless.

Shamefully all of the so called scientists that shout the sky is falling have no place in science as there is not one supposed fact of the global warming theory that can be substanciated - apart from that our meger documented climate records do show a general but regionally spotty fraction of a degree increase in temperature identical to the 10s of thousands, 100s of thousands or millions of times this statisticly insignificant variation has occured throught earths history.

We all may be on a rocky road to hell that our children's children will despise but mother earth is in control and has been here many times before,collectivly we are not a grain of sand to her over time.

Besides in half a million years if the earth could look back on what were humans she would remember us as no more than any other insignificant and infantesimal period of her existance.

For anyone interested pull up a time line on earth, if humans dissapear (which we will) the next intelegent life in whatever form it takes (when earths heat budget becomes balanced enough to again support life) will do whatever they can as we have done, hope they are just a little more Vulcan-like in fantacy than we are

cheers fnq

PS it's late, I am tired, had the pitcher to the well, suspect tommorow I will wish I was asleep and didn't think I should have been bothered to write this.

Warming hysteria misplaced

By Andrew Bolt
    May 09, 2007 01:00am
    WE'RE told so many mad scare stories about global warming, why shouldn't Art Bell believe this one, too?
    And so the radio host and best-selling author last weekend read out to his audience on Coast to Coast, one of America's most listened-to shows, this latest report he'd picked about our warming horror:
    "Shocking reports from the Kremlin today are showing that the Government of Australia has entered into secret negotiations with the United States and their Commonwealth allies for the proposed evacuation of upwards of 11 million of its 20 million citizens."
    On he went, telling millions of Americans that our drought was so bad - curse you, global warming! - that the Howard Government might soon hire cruise ships to send us somewhere cooler, once it figured who'd take us.
    To Bell, this was the last straw.
    "I wonder when the climate sceptics are going to finally catch on," he raged.
    "Will it take something like this? Like evacuating half a nation, before we wake up and realise that it is actually happening?"
    Oh, I've caught on all right to what's happening, Art. Caught on to you, for a start.
    You might think the moral of this farce is not to trust even million-hit websites such as WorldNetDaily, which ran the story Bell read out so credulously, or the news site run by the New-Age nutter who actually dreamed up this hoax, a blogger posing as Russian scientist "Sorcha Faal".
    But the real moral is that global warming fear-mongering is now so shameless and grotesque that otherwise sane people are prepared to believe half our nation is about to head for the boats.
    You might also think Bell must be on his nutty lonesome to fall for a story so wild. But don't admired global warming cultists say things just as extreme, to huge applause?
    Why wouldn't Bell think we'd be evacuating in our millions, when Professor Tim Flannery, our Alarmist of the Year, warns that global warming may soon force us to flee our parched cities?
    "I think there is a fair chance Perth will be the 21st century's first ghost metropolis," Flannery has blithely claimed. Indeed, he added the other day, "some time in the next 30 years, we face significant destabilisation, rapidly rising sea levels, maybe up to 6m and hundreds of millions of refugees, because there are whole cities going under".
    Why wouldn't Bell think we'd need to resettle the populations of coastal Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, given that ABC Science Show host Robyn Williams recently told me on air we could face seas this century 100m higher?
    Why wouldn't Bell think we'd all be on the move to Alaska or Norway, given that Professor James Lovelock, creator of the Gaia theory, last year told the ABC Late Night Live show, hosted
    by an approving Phillip Adams, that the rest of
    the world would soon be uninhabitable?
    As Lovelock so often puts it: "Before this century is over, billions of us will die and the few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in the Arctic."
    Good gosh. If that's what even our most admired "experts" tell us, as approved by the ABC, what's so crazy about Bell believing 11 million Australians will soon board ships as global warming refugees?
    How else does Flannery think we'll pull out of Perth or drowned Sydney?
    Apologies. I should now calm you because it's only too easy to be spooked by scares as crazy as these if enough people tell you often enough. And they sure do, in this all-but-unchallenged trillion-dollar racket that is global warming.
    So, take comfort that even the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the influential United Nations scientists who do most to promote global warming, admit such scares are bogus.
    As its latest report concedes, its models predict the seas will rise this century at worst by 59cm, not 100m. Antarctica, home of 90 per cent of land-based ice that could drown us, is cooling, not warming, and gaining ice, not losing it.
    What's more, a minority of other scientists, some from the Russian Academy of Sciences, say this recent warming may well be caused not by humans but a change in solar activity that has changed again, and we instead face global cooling.
    Heart stopped racing?
    But, if the truth isn't really so scary, how did we get to believe stories this freaky?
    Let's rejoin the babbling Art Bell.
    Bell is also famous in a small way for co-authoring a New York Times bestseller, The Coming Global Superstorm, which claimed global warming would monster us with worse storms (not proved) and fast-rising seas (not true), and may soon shut down the warm Gulf Stream (untrue, says the IPCC) sending cities like New York into an ice age (not this century, pal).
    This is the hyperventilating book that became the smash movie The Day After Tomorrow, which helped to whip up the warming panic.
    It didn't matter that scientists dismissed the film as another warming beat-up.
    There were only too many cause-pushers badly wanting to believe it -- or wanting the gullible masses, at least, to believe enough of it to be scared into submission to their new apocalyptic faith.
    Even now we get Nonie Sharp, publications editor of the Leftist Australian magazine Arena, fervently declaring: "The first half hour of The Day After Tomorrow was a time of awakening for me."
    Note Sharp's born-again tone -- so typical of a faith that's taken over the cry of so many past prophets: "Repent, for the end of the world is nigh."
    For that message to work well, of course, you must first persuade likely converts that the end of the world really is nigh -- that we really will be down to a few breeding pairs in the Arctic, as the winds wail through the ghost cities of Australia.
    Get us believing that, and you'll even get some - like Bell - to believe we'll soon have to sail somewhere cooler. In fact, we're losing our reason so fast it won't take long before people will want to reserve tickets for the evacuation.
    I see a win-win opportunity here. So let me help the feeble-minded, so eager to trust a Flannery, a Lovelock, a Williams.
    Book your seat on the SS Evacuate Australia right now. Book today with Tim Flannery and avoid the rush as our cites drown in rising seas of hype, or get swallowed by hot clouds of bulldust.
    We sceptics will be at the docks to wave you off on your voyage to Nirvana. I can't tell you how sorry we'll be to see you go. I honestly can't.

I have two berths left on my boat open to offers

Listening to a call in radio show yesterday and heard 1 say GLOBAL warming is the new Y2K bug, and what a huge time and money waster that was for all the alarmists. Unfortunately chicken littles get paid a lot of money today to make people feel insecure and if people feel insecure then they will throw lots money to make the bad man go away.

My apologies for going off at a tangent here.

At the risk of raising the racist spectre yet again, I think the world/nations have more pressing problems than the guesswork that is the fear of global warming. This is from/about a man who was a brilliant academic and intellectual and who loved and served his country faithfully and the subjects in it. He was ridiculed and besmirched but in retrospect, I think we can now see where he was coming from. "Ghettoisation", breakdown in law and order and traditional customs and values is diminishing nations far more quickly and horrifically, than global warming ever can. Think on this man's warnings and think on how quickly we have arrived (since his speech) at our current predicament with respect to home grown terrorism, refusal to assimilate into the ways of your adopted country, and polarisation of differing communities. I see these issues as a real and current threat and not (as is global warming) something perceived, based on guesswork.

Yes the world is in trouble with regards to climate change, but I think these issues will get us, long before climate change will.

Don Feder
    Enoch Powell spoke the truth on immigration
    BRITISH POLITICIAN Enoch Powell, a member of Parliament for 37 years, died on Sunday. Powell was a man of extraordinary ability, who had the courage to speak the truth on immigration. For this, he was driven from the Tory leadership and became known as the best prime minister Britain never had.
    The son of teachers, Powell won a scholarship to Cambridge, was a professor of Greek at 25, enlisted in the British army as a private at the outset of World War II and rose to the rank of brigadier general.
    A Thatcherite before Thatcher, Powell was a forceful intellectual and an eloquent speaker.
    On his death, Margaret Thatcher said: "There will never be anybody else so compelling as Enoch Powell. He had a rare combination of qualities all founded on an unfaltering belief in God, an unshakable loyalty to family and friends, and an unswerving devotion to our country."
    But Powell is best remembered for a controversial 1968 address warning of the dangers to national unity from immigration, which came to be known as the "Rivers of Blood" speech.
    Powell saw immigration from Britain's former colonies leading to an upsurge of crime and poverty and the fragmentation of British society. From his vantage point, the future looked bleak. "Like the Roman," Powell observed, "I seem to see the River Tiber foaming with much blood."
    The Tory reaction was to brand him a racist. Powell was removed from Edward Heath's shadow cabinet and forever barred from the prime ministership.
    Conservatives have a long and depressing tradition of bludgeoning immigration skeptics. In 1993, Winston Churchill, grandson of Britain's wartime prime minister, made similar observations. Churchill noted that while immigrants accounted for 6 percent of the nation, in some cities they constituted half the population.
    Then-Prime Minister John Major, seeking to reassure the British, predicted that 50 years hence spinsters would still bicycle to communion on Sunday morning. "More likely the muezzin will be calling Allah's faithful to the High Main Street Mosque," Churchill countered. For integrity to match his namesake's, Churchill was excoriated by members of Major's cabinet.
    Among the tributes delivered on Powell's passing, William Hague, the current Tory leader, said, "Powell spoke his mind without fear or favor." When Lord Norman Tebbit spoke his, at the Conservative Party Conference last year, Hague's gang rushed to disown him.
    Tebbit didn't urge that immigration be curtailed, but merely warned of the dangers of multiculturalism. The children of immigrants "born here should be taught that British history is their history, or they will forever be foreigners holding British passports and this kingdom will become a Yugoslavia," Tebbit warned.
    "Tebbit gives the impression of intolerance," Hague's office clucked. "William Hague wants to build a multicultural society." Well, good luck to him, and God save the Queen.
    Still, Britain's immigration problems seem trifling next to our own. By the latest count, 9.2 percent of our population is foreign-born. In California, that figure rises to 25 percent.
    Due largely to immigration (at the rate of about 1.5 million a year, 90 percent non-white), Americans of European stock will decline from 73.6 percent of the population today to 52.8 percent in 2050.
    Augmenting the welfare rolls and crime statistics aren't the only contributions of newcomers. Like Enoch Powell, the more discerning among us see our national identity slipping through porous borders.
    In his monograph Huddled Cliches, Larry Auster warns: "In addition to the millions of people who see the United States as a candy store without a lock, a significant number of immigrants have a conscious animus against this country.
    "A very bright Bengali-American college student... told her college English class that the word 'American' is 'Orwellian' because it imposes an identity on her that she doesn't feel. 'I am not an American. I'm Bengali.'"
    Those who dare to recognize reality get the Powell treatment. The American elite can't take the truth today any more than Britain's could 30 years ago.
    In surveying the ruins of a once promising career, Powell stoically commented: "All political careers end in failure. No regrets."
    At least Enoch Powell won't have to witness the balkanization of his nation. Your children and grandchildren won't be nearly so fortunate.

For the text of Powell's controversial speech, go here:

http://www.vdare.com/misc/powell_speech.htm

Racist it may sound, but it is also prophetic............we are in immediate danger, and it isn't from global warming.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Well! Its all come down to this! Shame people, shame. Dont you think there,s something better we can do with our brains.

minno
    Last edited by minno; 12-05-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minno View Post
    Well! Its all come down to this! Shame people, shame. Dont you think there,s something better we can do with our brains.

minno
    You have something to contribute? Good! Please enlighten us with what you have to say, because your post makes no sense at all without attributing it to a specicfic comment of other/s.

You've attributed "shame" to others, without targeting that attribute to a specific poster/comment or supporting your comment as to why I/we should be ashamed.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

That post is bull--it, and you know it! Some of the people here have great minds. Why aren't they using them in a much more [ let me keep it simple] productive thought. Yes I sit here behind my computer screen and I do nothing. But Iam only one drop in the sea. The world will spin in the direction that it s going in. The question is, can we adapted, will all be lost. Nature will dish out what it will to life on the planet earth, whether we are responsible or not to its effects is anyones guess.
    We must bend with the times and show a little compassion with our fellow creatures. It's a little off subject, but you get the picture.

minno
    Last edited by minno; 12-05-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Sorry about the spelling!

minno

Kingtin! I have watched you for quite some time, and I must say, you speak for just about all fisher people, and a great thanks from me!

minno

Quote Originally Posted by minno View Post
    That post is bull--it, and you know it! Some of the people here have great minds. Why aren't they using them in a much more [ let me keep it simple] productive thought. Yes I sit here behind my computer screen and I do nothing. But Iam only one drop in the sea. The world will spin in the direction that it s going in. The question is, can we adapted, will all be lost. Nature will dish out what it will to life on the planet earth, whether we are responsible or not to its effects is anyones guess.
    We must bend with the times and show a little compassion with our fellow creatures. It's a little off subject, but you get the picture.

minno
    No I don't mate.

I agree with you that "the world will spin in the direction that it's going in" I also think that global warming, as initiated by the human race pales into insignificance in relation to the impact that "sun spots/flares" and the like have on our environment.

I also believe that we evolve, just as other animals have evolved. We came out of the sea and we shall come out of "pollution and environmental change" IOW, our lungs will, over time, adapt to changes in the environment. Others may disagree and to be honest, I'm not sure myself, but one thing that I am sure of. It won't be climate change or environmental change that destroys life as we know it, but fundamentalism. Whether that fundamentalism comes form Bush's type of Christianity, or Bin Laden's Moslem faith is irrelevant.

I was a communist shop steward for 10 yrs and believed beyond belief that we were/are all brothers. The truth of the matter (which I have learned to my cost, and with political maturity), is that we're not. We have our own faiths, cultures and beliefs and to think that those who we attempt to embrace, can live in peaceful co-existence, in a multicultural society, is a pipe dream. That Nirvana is a luxury of the young. As we grow and experience more, we realise that it is (sadly) just that...........a pipe dream. One only has to look at the posts here that relate to the taking of undersize fish by ethnic minorities. We excuse. We attempt to understand. We make apologies for. We say nothing or say too much.

The truth of the matter is that those who say nothing are frightened of being called racist. Those who say "too much" perhaps are passionate about their ethnicity and feel threatened. Those who attempt to understand, credit society with an understanding that it doesn't have, and those who make apologies, are pandering to the Politically correct lobby.

The world is under threat, not because of global warming, but because of political, cultural, and religious differences, and a failure of successive leaderships to recognise this for fear of being accused of racism.

We need to wake up to our differences, recognise them, and utilise them in the best way possible to make this a better world to live in. Accepting "refugees" and acknowledging "multiculturism" is simply an easy way out for the pollies, when in fact they should be taking (global) steps to see that there should be no need for peoples to leave their countries of origin. They fear intervention in other theatres and Iraq has served to exacerbate those fears. If you're going to intervene, then you follow it through, otherwise, like Syria, you will end up with 3 million Iraqis living on your doorstep.............make their country of origin more liveable, and you won't have that problem.............but I digress............what I am trying to say is that politics/immigration are the most pressing problem.........not global warming

kev

Kingtin. So What is your answer to the problem?

minno