Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: opinions please

Re: opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    mate i have to say that your work is outstanding and can only hope mine looks as good.what kind of blank is it to be set in cheers ian oh and dont blame me for spending all your husband tax on blanks i just gave you and idea to work with
    It's a Hasting's Pioneer series P-UR602 ie 6' 3-4kg fast action.
    Your's will be better matey

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Scott,
    Pop down to your local gun store and have a look at some stuff called tru-oil.
    You can make it from matte to high gloss depending on how many coats you put on.
    As an oil finish, it impregnates the timber, so it won't scratch off like a laquer.
    Give Potters Firearms a ring at Underwood. Dunno if Geoff & Dorothy still run it or their son. Been year since I've seen them & he wasn't a spring chicken then.

cheers,
    Owen
    Good idea Owen.
    Hard burnish the thing and when it gets scratched just do it again.
    Thanks for that

Just caught up with this thread Scott. By jingoes, by crikey, they come up alright.

I was thinking about coating my ( thank you again ), butt in Sikkens Deck Oil. I use it on Decks, so I suppose it should be tuff enough for the boat / kayak usage.

I haven't got the guides on my rod yet, but I used Fugi BLVLG series. that rod is the 6ft Synder Glas 3 - 4 kg bass rod.

Will catch up soon.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

that oil should put a nice shine on your butt[ not that i will want to look at it,,, just keep it in ya stubbies mate] cheers ian

that oil should put a nice shine on your butt[ not that i will want to look at it,,, just keep it in ya stubbies mate] cheers ian
    Ian, maaateee. They don't make stubbies anymore....end of an era
    I wear tradey's King-Gee's (more pockets and they don't fall off )but a farmer mate is devastated over no more stubbies. His wife has to go to every Vinnies Vogue she comes across to get some. Bit hard though because he's a biggin' (117cm).

PS we'll leave the shiney butt bits there eh. Just plain scarey
    I've started on your butt now. I think the timber I found in the dungeon is teak.

i must try and get up there this weekend, but im not so sure it will happeni,m just so busy at the moment, so when is the m and g at the tinnie show. i think i might just say to hell with it. scott can i have an adress and a ph nu so i can make a time that suits cheers ian teak damn i,m looking forward to se this

Geeze Scott,

I am really sorry I didn't get to see this thread sooner, they look amazing, I, along with a lot of other people would love to build a rod with one of those included in the butt section.

I hope you are going to bring some along to the RBW, and perhaps just leave them 'lying around'...lol.

There is a USA rod building site called rodbuilding.org plus Dave Boyle's site visualwrap. you can compare ideas.

Really well done Scott!! I think you have a good talent there.

Roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Samples...mate, I've made 3 since then all getting a better feel.
    The dogs using one for a chew toy.
    By the RB week-end I'll have them down to a fine art.
    Anybody need any wood shavings??? I have a heap to get rid of for some reason.
    I'll have the blank now so I'll have some loose fit pictures soon.
    What are a good runner to go with a spin rod??
    I'm not afraid to spend a bit on them so opinions please.
    I spent enough on the blank so I can't scrimp on the rest of the rod can I
    I had a gander at the Ilusions from Pacific bay. Any thoughts??
    http://www.fishpacbay.com/products/g...ng-guides.html
    Or do I just stick with Fugi guides??
    Cheers and ta
    Scott
    I just had a thought when I read you comment on wood shavings.

I know stuff all about fish smoking, I can however make a yummy smoked fish chowder.

I do know certain types of timbers seem to achieve better flavours than others, maybe a use for those shavings perhaps?

roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Ta Roz.
    Mate, I made a nancy girl one for the cook to try. (smaller that is )
    She reckons it's great
    I might even do a rough up so you can shape it to suit when your not doing anything at the M&G.
    Can you use a 9" grinder??
    The only trouble with smoking fish is I have to catch some fish first.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Ta Roz.
    Mate, I made a nancy girl one for the cook to try. (smaller that is )
    She reckons it's great
    I might even do a rough up so you can shape it to suit when your not doing anything at the M&G.
    Can you use a 9" grinder??
    The only trouble with smoking fish is I have to catch some fish first.
    Have and angle grinder but smaller that 9".... begs the question, does size matter???

roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

roz, no it doesn,t, i have one thats less than nine , but damn i,m handy with it

roz, no it doesn,t, i have one thats less than nine , but damn i,m handy with it
    Sorry Ian. I beg to differ.
    In some cases size does matter.
    Fortunately this case isn't one of them.

I'll bring the nancy girl 4" or 5" for you if you can't handle the BIG ONE on that weekend Roz.
    PS Yours is ready Ian
    Do you want a 3" or 4" foregrip??
    Do you want an oil sealer put on it??