Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan patrol 3.0l TD vs 4.2

Re: Nissan patrol 3.0l TD vs 4.2

Hi dazza

Awaiting reports and photos?

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

hi chimo,
    didn't end up getting it, on inspection it had a bit of oil around the rear engine seal and the fuel pump had ?? diesel leak, it was a bit damp. otherwise it was ok.
    having a look at one tomorrow, sounds pretty good.
    it is a 5 seater, i would like to turn it into a 7 seater, hopefully the holes etc are there, have tracked down a pair of gu rear seats if i end up buying it.
    cheers
    dazza

Dazza, You might also need an engineers report but certainly a mod plate fitted before you can fit those seats if it is not complianced as a 7 seated from the factory- extra cost and stuffing around.

I have a 96 TD 4.2 GQ and it suits me down to the ground, should have bought one years ago but I would have rusted a couple out by now looking back too much beach.

Anyway I get 11.01km/L on a trip lightly loaded with 2 people, I turn the fuel down for all uses when not towing then tickle it up for towing, they are quite economical but slow and steady especially when towing -suits me, for certain it's lazy style might bother some road users when towing.

Some of the Patrols get hot easily when worked be careful you do not end up with one of those, there are a thousand fixes for the condition IMO if the cause is not typically apparent it's usually the viscus fan hub.

good luck,

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 24-03-2007 at 09:47 PM.

cheers fnq,
    the current owner ran it with a pyrometer for awhile after he put the turbo on, said it ran nice and kool, it will be interesting to see what type of economy i get out of it.
    the seat thing might be a bit of a hastle, probably leave it as a 5 seater for awhile, need the room in the back. have tracked down someone to do the mods- all approved and certified, didn't talk $$ though, might be a shock
    cheers
    dazza

Looking at the Nissan website and it looks as though the the new model out in April doesn't come in the 4.2 diesel! Only engines available are the 3.0 litre common rail diesel and the 4.8 litre petrol. I think 4.2 litre diesels will be scarcier than rocking horse shite on the 2nd hand market now.

yep, the 4.2 has been retired due to not meeting new emission regs

cheers
    Mike

So Dazza whats happening?

Chimo

There is supposed to be another diesel in the pipeline for Nissan and I hear it hauls arse.
    It will be interesting to see.

Here you go, probably cheaper than you were looking at with reasonable kms

Chimo

http://www.gc4wd.com.au/cars-wrecker.asp?id=474#

hi chimo,
    picked it up last weekend.
    99 gu patrol 4.2 td, dx wagon.
    pretty neat vehicle, 142 000km on the clock.
    got the racq to check it over, came up pretty good, one of the tyres might have been dodgy (small cut in wall) so the guy put 2 new ones on.
    it has plenty of go for me. just need to get the sensa brake set up put on. have already got a leave pass for a fising trip, depending on weather, might tow the boat somewhere
    it is pretty standard, bullbar, tow bar, cargo barrier, snorkel, ome front shocks- all ready for a few little extras.
    hopefully will get many miles out of it
    cheers
    dazza

Very Cool!

C

piccies? sounds like a nice truck

mike

hi,
    couple of photos, pretty standard vehicle.
    it has a dual battery. it is a cole-hersee set up. does anyone know how these work. have had a bit of a look on the web, couldn't really find any help.
    probably won't do too much to it, maybe a bit on the rear suspension and diff breathers will do for now
    hopefully pic attached
    cheers
    dazza