Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Moreton Bay Access Alliance?

Who is the Moreton Bay Access Alliance?

I sent off one of them postcards they put in my letterbox as I sure as hell don't want them greenies closing up the bay but then one of me mates tells me that they are composed of commercial fishermen! So my question is who exactly is part of the MBAA and why are they so secretive? If they have commercail fishermen on it I sure as hell don't want to support them. I'll be damned if I am goign to allign myself with one of those plunderers.
    Why can't we form our own recreational fishing group? We are the ones who don't do any damage to the bay and who are going to be disadvataged when the review comes in becasue of them. I don't want to go down with the commercial fishing ship.

Re: Who is the Moreton Bay Access Alliance?

The postcard did say keep access open for commercial use too Darryl... Though I are you sure that there are commercial fishermen on that panel? I feel very uncomfortable about that fact as if anyone is going to be targeted it will them. Why should we be connected with them? They are the reason why I go out and sometimes can't a catch a flaming fish. Have you ever seen them out there with those nets? It's a bloody wonder that there are any fish in the Bay with the effort they put in!

How the Alliance describes itself

The Moreton Bay Access Alliance is comprised of key industry and community groups that rely on access to Moreton Bay for trade, recreation and healthy family activities.
    These groups together contribute millions of dollars, countless jobs and invaluable community spirit to the south east Queensland community.
    The Alliance recently was established as an honorary member of the Boating Industry Association Queensland (BIAQ), and is completely independent of all political parties, members and political candidates.
    The establishment of the Alliance was not orchestrated by any one particular individual, but rather reflects a joining of industry and community sectors that have a shared vision for the future management of Moreton Bay.

Bruce Alvey, chairman of the MBAA is an important stakeholder in th recreational fishing industry with a factory turning out fishing gear. He told the BayJournal this morning that jobs were at stake so the group would fight indiscriminate closure

Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by fishingjew; 07-03-2007 at 02:01 PM.

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

I already know that much. I want to know who exactly is part of the alliance? I don't want to support a group that is comprised of commercial fisherman that take away the fish I am entitled to as a rec fisher. It's my right to fish.

The Alliance comprises all facets of the Fishing Industry from Marketing/Boating/Sales/Rec's/Commerical/Wholesale/Tourism etc.
    They all have a stake in the Bay and all have a lot to loose if big closures are brought in.
    This is not a one person fight but a united fight, and with this united fight we have more or a a better chance of cutting down the margins of closurers those that hang from the treees want.
    As a individual fight by one sector of the fishing industry would not have the same fighting abilities as a united group.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    I sent off one of them postcards they put in my letterbox as I sure as hell don't want them greenies closing up the bay but then one of me mates tells me that they are composed of commercial fishermen! So my question is who exactly is part of the MBAA and why are they so secretive? If they have commercail fishermen on it I sure as hell don't want to support them. I'll be damned if I am goign to allign myself with one of those plunderers.
    Why can't we form our own recreational fishing group? They have..called The Fishing Party We are the ones who don't do any damage to the bay are you serious about that ..better take another look.and who are going to be disadvataged when the review comes in becasue of them. I don't want to go down with the commercial fishing ship.
    I believe the MBAA is the best opportunity to have a say for all concerned. I just hope some of the big hitters come out and play...such as some more boat manufacturers, tackle wholesalers and shops, some of the big boat people who have the dollars and political grunt etc etc

Am I the only one who has a problem with being on the same side as the commercial fishermen? I know people have to make a living but do they have to take so much that the average bloke can't throw a line out and expect to get nothing back. Do you see those guys out there all the time taking our fish for profit? I haven't talked to one single fisher mate who likes them in the Bay. I've seen them out there throwing 3 (dead) fish back for every 1 fish they take and I'm sick of it. I fully support a Moreton Bay Access Alliance without the commercial fishers and my mate that told me and is telling others feels the same. If we want a victory in this and everyone needs to stick together then let the commercial folk fight there own battle. There a lot of recs out there who aren't happy and unhappiness does not equal support for our greater good.

Sorry Pinhead but when we are compared to the commercial fishermen I think we come up as not doing any damage

Darryl. Its just easy to blame the rec fisho for all thats happened in the fishing world, and its a lot of crap. Fishing people know just too well the rules and from what I,ll seen, We,ve made our impact very small indeed. They need someone to blame, and we are target number one. For me, I wont stand for it. I see to many people doing the right thing.

signed tunaman

Darryl, I believe we are all in agreence with what you say ( basically ), but the fact of this matter is that as a ' Group " we have to join to protect the OUR Bay. We can battle with the commercial guys on another day.

Yes, trawlers create havoc with by-catch, seabed etc, but that is NOT the issue in this case. Let's fight one issue at a time and the most important one right now is The Bay itself, for if we have no Bay, we will not have to fight the commercial guys as there will be nothing to fight over.

I think we have to get a grip on the Big Picture. The Big Picture is ' sustainability and access '.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Well to me this is the time for us to work together to keep access to the Bay and to get the commercial fishermen out. Why wait another 10 years for an opportunity such as this???? I'm sick of those bastards and their huge nets taking my fish! We don't need to work with them as we can do it without them. Let them fight there own battle. We can get the trawlers out of our favourite spots whilst at the same time keeping them open to us. We are much more likely to keep our areas safe if we don't allign with them. After all they are the main problem not us!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Well to me this is the time for us to work together to keep access to the Bay and to get the commercial fishermen out. Why wait another 10 years for an opportunity such as this???? I'm sick of those bastards and their huge nets taking my just wondering when you gained ownership..do we need permission to catch your fish?fish! We don't need to work with them as we can do it without them. Let them fight there own battle. We can get the trawlers out of our favourite spots whilst at the same time keeping them open to us. We are much more likely to keep our areas safe if we don't allign with them. After all they are the main problem not us!
    lemme see Darryl...if we get the comm fishos banned from the bay then the greens can then say...no one needs the bay now to sustain their livelihood let's close it to all as then no one will lose any money over it.

This battle must be as a united front from all concerned..as soon as there is bickering within, the greens will love it and know they will win.

Darryl, I get your point and I think many people would tend to agree with you, however from a commercial reality, its the pros that have the dollars it takes to mount a campaign such as this, its the guys who either live or die by their access to the bay - such as tackle manufacturers (Bruce Alvey), the Boat manufacturers, tackle and Bait, tourism operators and yes the pro netters. These are the guys that have the political, business and economic clout to put up a decent fight. These guys are spending massive amounts of their own money to wage a battle against "them that hang from trees" (thanks Webby).

Recreational fishers of themselves dont have it and cant cut it - thats why collectively many of us have cast our lot with TFPQ - because these guys also have the political clout necessary - but its not a one front battle. It is being fought on different fronts because it needs to be. MBAA are non politically aligned and so can go places where TFPQ cant.

At the end of the day its the old axiom - "he who is the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Lets win the war before we decide who gets the spoils.

Adam

Just to add a Fishing Party perspective to this issue of Rec/Pro and the MBAA.

TFPQ understands, but does not necessarily agree with the non-political positioning of MBAA. We are happy to provide support from the sidelines and also continue to play our own role in the political process. As we get votes, we gain influence and the next Federal election will see a lot more of TFPQ in the mainstream press.

Our relationship with commercial fishing is and always will be a bit strained.

We recognise the rights of everyone to buy "our" fish in "our" shops. Non-fishers should be able to access Australian seafood and this needs to be caught by Commercial fishers. In respect of access issues and the drive to exclude fishing....all fishing...we have common ground.

Where we have, and continue to have problems is fishing practices which we believe are unsustainable. These include the deliberate targeting of billfish, inshore beam and otter board trawling (with its unavoidable by-catch) and the big issue of seafood exports (while we are force fed imported catfish).

There is a clear argument for ROFA's in high-density population areas, just as there should be a counter argument for commercial only zones. We support science, which determines commercial catch quotas, just as rec fishing is controlled by bag limits so too should the commercial catch be capped on all regulated finfish.

So Darryl while many in the rec fishing community take a view that all pro's should get the "punt" it is not something TFPQ can support. Better off management regimes which do not condense fishing pressure (zonings) and ensure sustainability. It's a balancing act, but to take the view that Mrs Jones can no longer buy local fish at the local fish shop because rec fishing closed down commercial access to the Bay is not a position we could live with.

TFPQ is the political voice of the recreational fishing movement. QSIA is the voice of the commercial fishing industry...they, like MBAA are apolitical. It remains to be seen which form of "lobbying" has the most influence.
    TFPQ is not the enemy of the commercial industry but nor are we "mates". Perhaps "strange bedfellows" is an apt term.

Hope this makes some sense.

Regards

KC

Its interesting that you blokes are happy to be on the same side as commercial fishers now to "help save the bay". At least Darryl is standing firm about his convictions no matter how ill-informed and ridiculous they are. You other blokes are hypocrites as far as I'm concerned. Its laughable that you would stand together with pros now but fight to have them removed at a later date. No wonder the rec fishing community is seen as a poor excuse for a lobby group.