Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QLD Greens calling for a Green bid for 4WD tax hike

Angry QLD Greens calling for a Green bid for 4WD tax hike

Here we go again the 4wd Drive owners going to get kick the beach at Fraser Island and by the looks going to cop more Green Zones in the Moreton Bay Marine Park and Inshore Fin Fishery review coming out later this year and now on top if this
    The Queensland Greens calling for a 4WD tax hike to stop them producing greenhouse gases now they going to plant a seed in the QLD Goverment heads and do election deals over it as well (even that State Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr has stated all vehicles produced greenhouse gases and she did not think 4WDs should be picked on in isolation she is only one voice might be gone when theyintroduced it )
    by the looks of it the Recreational Anglers going cop this year in the Outdoors activity's and Fishing and Boating and 4WD Industry's will affected it too
    Green bid for 4WD tax hike
    By HANNAH DAVIES from the Sunday Mail 25/02/2007

CAMPAIGNERS are calling for owners of four-wheel-drive vehicles to pay higher taxes as punishment for polluting the environment.
    The call comes as carmakers announce plans to produce even bigger 4WDs this year, including a military-look Hummer from Holden and a larger version of Land Rover's Freelander.
    A 4WD similar in size to a BMW X5 scores badly on the Federal Government's Green Vehicle Guide -- just 3 out of 10 for the amount of greenhouse gases it produces and 4 out of 10 for pollution.
    The smaller Toyota Rav4 still only scores 5.5 and 6.5.
    A small Toyota Corolla car scores 7 and 8.5.
    Queensland Greens environment spokeswoman Larissa Waters said the Federal Government ought to introduce an environmental levy on monster vehicles.
    ``Only ignorant people drive 4WDs,'' she said.
    ``It is just the greedy Americanised `bigger is better' mentality that makes people want these vehicles.''
    Pedestrian Council chairman Harold Scruby said carmakers were out of control.
    ``While the planet burns, we have this outrageous behaviour of producing bigger and bigger 4WDs,'' he said.
    Import tariffs on 4WDs needed to be higher, he said.
    In the 1980s, the Federal Government decided 4WDs should attract a 5 per cent import tariff, compared with 10 per cent on passenger cars, because 4WDs were off-road work vehicles. But the latest research shows 60 per cent of owners live in cities.
    Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries spokesman Peter Sturrock said it was wrong to blame 4WDs for environmental damage.
    ``It's rubbish to say that a medium-sized sports utility vehicle is worse on the environment than a small or medium-sized passenger car,'' he said.
    State Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr said all vehicles produced greenhouse gases and she did not think 4WDs should be picked on in isolation.

Mitch
    Last edited by Redspeckle; 25-02-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Re: QLD Greens calling for a Green bid for 4WD tax hike

Quote Originally Posted by Redspeckle View Post
    Here we go again the 4wd Drive owners going to get kick the beach at Fraser Island and by the looks going to cop more Green Zones in the Moreton Bay Marine Park and Inshore Fin Fishery review coming out later this year and now on top if this
    The Queensland Greens calling for a 4WD tax hike to stop them producing greenhouse gases now they going to plant a seed in the QLD Goverment heads and do election deals over it as well (even that State Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr has stated all vehicles produced greenhouse gases and she did not think 4WDs should be picked on in isolation she is only one voice might be gone when theyintroduced it )
    by the looks of it the Recreational Anglers going cop this year in the Outdoors activity's and Fishing and Boating and 4WD Industry's will affected it too
    Green bid for 4WD tax hike
    By HANNAH DAVIES from the Sunday Mail 25/02/2007

CAMPAIGNERS are calling for owners of four-wheel-drive vehicles to pay higher taxes as punishment for polluting the environment.
    The call comes as carmakers announce plans to produce even bigger 4WDs this year, including a military-look Hummer from Holden and a larger version of Land Rover's Freelander.
    A 4WD similar in size to a BMW X5 scores badly on the Federal Government's Green Vehicle Guide -- just 3 out of 10 for the amount of greenhouse gases it produces and 4 out of 10 for pollution.
    The smaller Toyota Rav4 still only scores 5.5 and 6.5.
    A small Toyota Corolla car scores 7 and 8.5.
    Queensland Greens environment spokeswoman Larissa Waters said the Federal Government ought to introduce an environmental levy on monster vehicles.
    ``It is just the greedy Americanised `bigger is better' mentality that makes people want these vehicles.''
    Pedestrian Council chairman Harold Scruby said carmakers were out of control.
    ``While the planet burns, we have this outrageous behaviour of producing bigger and bigger 4WDs,'' he said.
    Import tariffs on 4WDs needed to be higher, he said.
    In the 1980s, the Federal Government decided 4WDs should attract a 5 per cent import tariff, compared with 10 per cent on passenger cars, because 4WDs were off-road work vehicles. But the latest research shows 60 per cent of owners live in cities.
    Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries spokesman Peter Sturrock said it was wrong to blame 4WDs for environmental damage.
    ``It's rubbish to say that a medium-sized sports utility vehicle is worse on the environment than a small or medium-sized passenger car,'' he said.
    State Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr said all vehicles produced greenhouse gases and she did not think 4WDs should be picked on in isolation.

Mitch

I have to ask...what does anything in Moreton Bay and fin fish reviews have to do with 4WD owners?????

We are ALL going to have to pay for CO2 emissions - I've 'bin looking at my '93 Hilux diesel just wondering how long.....

Mozza

Quote Originally Posted by Redspeckle View Post

I drive a 4wd so I can really appreciate this gorgeous country we call home. Why is it ignorant to want to camp on Fraser Island, or Cape York, or visit the Kimberleys, or do the trek across the middle of the country??? I rather be doing that than sitting on the footpath of an inner city cafe sipping a latte like these killjoy Greens want us to do. And puh-lease..... don't put me in the same category as a Yank

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I have to ask...what does anything in Moreton Bay and fin fish reviews have to do with 4WD owners?????
    I would say it's more a stab at the greenies.

This 4WD thing is really starting to piss me off though. Comparing (probably the V8 version 'or similar') X5 to a 2.4l RAV4 is just scare tactics, and where's the comparison between a V8 fourby to a V8 Falcon (or similar). Its typical of a jealous minority (who don't have an outdoor lifestyle) to pick on a popular culture of 4WD enthusiasts who enjoy the benefits of said lifestyle. They would be better off forcing car manufacturers to lift there game on advanced processes to cut down on the CO2 emissions. The extra monies collected from said 'environmental rapists' would just be blown on more political b*//$hit.

To all politicians - pull ya heads out & in, then clean up your own environmental disasters before you start shooting off your crap laden mouths...... for christs sake.

P.S. If I've offended anyone.............tuff!

Matt

So even if you require a landcruiser or a patrol ute for work you are going to be penalised for it, even if you require 4 wd to access job sites, or are these vehicles exempt? 2 wd vehicles just can't do the same job, so whats next ??

Well put biosbro !!
    Surely they can't make this stick.

Ziggy.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    If the avatar is your boat, then you would need a reasonable sized vehicle to tow it – probably a 4WD. The assumption that 4WD owners are “only ignorant people” is ridiculous. Some of us need the larger vehicles to tow our boats, others the carry the tools required in our trades and to conduct our business activities, or to access remote areas to get goods and services to remote communities. Imagine our agricultural communities without the 4WD! What with the drought and fuel prices, our farmers don’t need any new headaches either!

I am a 4WD owner myself and last year had to upgrade my vehicle when I purchased a bigger boat that was capable of accessing further parts of Moreton Bay. If they do to Moreton Bay what they have done to GBR, I will need a bigger boat to get to what is left of the fishing grounds – if anything!

The thing is the Recreational Angler is conservationist enough to accept reasonable restrictions as a compromise between the needs of recreation and nature. What he cant endure is the multi facetted attacks from the Green lobbies which are attempting to take away our access to fishing grounds, take away the fishing grounds themselves, take away the probability of catching a legal sized fish, and when we do find them, stop us from taking them home for a feed – an now they target our vehicles! What did the farmers and the fishermen do to deserve being targeted from so many directions at once?

There was a hot discussion on the Green bid for 4WD tax hike on radio 4BC this afternoon on the Greg Carey show.

Well said Biosbo.
    Mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

am wondering if the Greens are going to target the transport industry for a CO2 tax also ? or is that too hard a nut to crack.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeannP View Post
    And puh-lease..... don't put me in the same category as a Yank

Ooooooooooooh--Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! So THAT'S how it is eh LeeannP?! Just for that, I'm officially making you an American citizen! Better yet, you're now an official CHICAGOAN! Still better, you're an official Cubs fan so you'll really get to suffer! (do you like baseball?)

Sorry for the off-topic reply. But I had no choice.

As for the tax hike of your heavier vehicles-----GRRRRRRRRRRRR but not surprised. The greenies pull the same type of stunts over here in America all the time. Ask LeeannP.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I would dare say their motive has very little to do with emissions. More likely an indirect way of slowing sales of vehicles that go offroad.
    Jim

i get the 4wd bs all the time from some of the people i work with (inner city office).

they say how "irresponsible the drivers are" and how "they're so dangerous on the road because of their size". i don't hear one complaint about vans or people movers or trucks so go figure!

one thing i will concede to them though is that heaps of people go and buy a large 4wd who have never owned one before and then try to drive them like a car instead of the big lump of steel that they are and then come unstuck with the less manouverability, greater braking distance and general poor cornering/handling that comes with driving a large/tall vehicle.

i often wonder how people in the green movement actually get to the places they are trying so hard to protect ........................ it won't be by foot people!!!!!!!

Heres to hoping that the 4WD industry is too big and too powerful to be affected by green whims and demands. Some of these motoring companies are bigger contributors to the electoral coffers of the parties - so possibly the parties may be more scared of losing that support than they are of green media grabs?

I dont know - only time will tell - but I dont think this issue will be going away in a hurry.

Adam

I think someone needs to get on to these greenies, and tell them how to live. Really, when's it going to stop they've banned fishing and 4wds at enough areas.

Owen

It appears the Sunday Mail was having a slow news day and did a Chanel 7 and was less than truthful. From the Greens website:

Dear Sunday Mail Editor,

I am the Queensland Greens Spokesperson for the Environment. Today’s Sunday Mail (25 February 2007, page 25) contains a headline, statements and a fabricated quote which distort my comments to your reporter, in a manner which is misleading and embarrassing.

I did not call four wheel drivers "ignorant", nor have the Queensland Greens called for a "tax hike on 4WDs.

I request that you publish this letter so that readers of the Sunday Mail have an accurate understanding of the Queensland Greens position on this important issue.

I have also instructed my lawyer to write to you demanding a retraction of the comments and statements falsely attributed to me.

Regards,
    Larissa Waters.

I wasn't there so I don't know what she said but some of the comments in this thread look a little silly if she was not accurately reported. I guess this is the problem when people rely on "news-as-entainment" for their information.

Brenden

Didn't they do something like this in England, introduced extra taxes for owning 4wds to reduce the number of 4wds on the roads in cities (something I personally would love to see a lot less of). Problem was, the people who could afford an expensive 4wd in the first place could afford the tax, and the farmers who genuinely needed lots of these vehicles for maintaining their properties couldn't afford to keep them. This definitely requires more thought than just slugging a tax on 4wd owners.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill