Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoking Fish

Re: Smoking Fish

go to www.cabelas.com then smoker/cookers and look at the premium series. gas type. they are the best smoker/BBQ's i've used. had one for years and i've used all sorts. and if you're into fishing, camping , hunting they have the works.

I just picked up a cheapie galvanised Jarvis Walker smoker to try it out, because eveyone on this site and elsewhere raves about smoked fish.

If it works half as good as others claim, I'll invest in a better version.

My research on the web says hot smoking should be done for a few hours, yet the instructions with the smoker, and in the posts above recon that 15 to 20 minutes is all that is needed. A bit confused but as soon as I get some fresh catch I'll start experimenting.

freddyfish

fish2eat,

How's it going.

I do alot of smoking fish and if you are doing fillets in a small smoker usually smoke them till the metho burner burns out. Obviously this applies to normal sized fillets you would see in a fish shop.

fillets over 20mm thick take longer. Mackeral , tailor and mullet are good starters and dont dry out too much. Look up some recipes for fish brine on google and experiment. lots of different woods to use but I prefer a straight hardwood sawdust.

A good smoked fillet and people can't stop eating it.

Cheers
    Brad.

Thanks Brad, the smoker came with a generic hardwood sawdust, but I was thinking of getting some different types of wood to experiment with. Gotta find someone with apple trees, maybe take a drive to Stanthorpe after a big hailstorm LOL

Since I'm booked out with social comittments this weekend, I'm probably not going to be able to get any fresh tailor.......I might have to BUY some fillets to start off.

I believe people even do red meats in these things as well as fish, chicken.

I also bought an oven thermometer, just out of curiosity, so I can find out what sort of temperatures are generated in the smoker. It does have a metho burner, so I wouldn't have thought it would get too hot, but I'm busting to find out.

Ausfish Addict

Home made ham isnt too bad either, buy a pumped leg of pork, (usually pumped with pineapple brine) and smoke away for 6 to 8 hrs works out to be a very cheap ham, also pumped legs of mutton make nice picnic hams.
    cheers
    Joe

freddyfish

mmmmm...ham

Joe
    Where do you get your pumped pork from.Wouldn't mind giving that a go in the Webber.
    Cheers Dazza

Ausfish Addict

Dazza i buy them from the big gun butcher at slacks creek. depends where you live. most of the larger stores have them, they pump them in the store. hope this helps
    cheers
    Joe

Thanks Joe
    Will have to have a look around and see who has them.
    Cheers Dazza

Darryl

I always end up with wet tallyho's and cant light the bastards.

Have you ever bloody tried to roll a bream and smoke it?

Hhaha sorry i'l go now.

I've never tried this before but you've certainly got me interested and I think I will give it a go.

One question. I occasionally go pig shooting on my brother-in-law's property. Can anything be done with pork, I usually just take the back legs for baking and they are always excellent.

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Ausfish Addict

Roz if you don't want to pump it, butchers who pump meat on the premises will do this for you either for free or a small charge. you can also do what is known as a pulled pork. its not pumped but cooked very slowly over a smokey fire to the extent it can be pulled apart by hand or if cooked a little hotter sliced. temperature is the main thing though. if you do a google for pulled pork you will find some interesting recipes. hope this helps.
    cheers
    Joe.

Hi all,
    A further comment since I first looked for help - and found lots, thank you all. Since then, I pinched my Dads old Webber that wasn't being used any tried it out with hickory I bought from a camping store. I've tried a number of different fish - Snapper, Whiting and Flathead, all nice eating fish in their own right but believe it or not, the one I found best for smoking was Trevally, not a great eating fish normally but I figured that rather than mess up with nice fish, I'd experiment with one that would be no loss if I messed up - I think it comes up so well because it's a bit oilier than the others.
    The queue of people to pinch fillets when I fire up the smoker grows each time. I'd recomend it as great fun and very nice eating too.

I have found this link very useful in getting started - especially if you have a webber-style BBQ

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Cook...smokefish.html

Tony

My favourite is leftover livies - slimy mackerel not used for livebait