Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What have you smoked??

Re: What have you smoked??

Hi all
    ok if you are looking to smoke your own and using a brine then try this one
    normally i use to smoke all my own Hams, Bacon, and Frankfurts i always used hickory saw dust

making the brine
    Butcher course Salt, Pineapple juice, Honey and Brown sugar

i have also Smoked
    Talior, Eels, Shark, Tuna, Mackeral, Australian Salmon and King fish and all taste great in hickory dust or as a mate uses hickory work cut in short strips

Cheers
    Steve

ok enough is enough after reading all this one thing is certain im going out to get me one of these smokers. I think im missing out.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Have smoked the usual fish, prawns, oysters, scallops etc, but then experimented with some beef and chicken strips and also bacon.
    Once tried eggs but ummm have to consider that one a failure lol.

Brine for the fish etc consists of brown sugar, sea salt, little honey and a splash of good whiskey lol.

I always try to leave in the brine for at least 6 hrs and pat dry before smoking.

As a kid growing up in South Australia my dad had an old housing trust home wood fire piped into a full size fridge and smoked whole snapper.
    If you havent tried this then you havent lived...

Cheers,
    Rich.

If you can stand not using them for bait, try bonito. Comes up with a texture just like the most tender chicken, my personal fav fish to smoke apart from spotted mackeral, which would win by a whisker.
    I'm keen to try slimies, reckon they'd be great.
    Have tried bream, snapper, jew but prefer the oilier fish such as tailor and the abovementioned. Reckon sea mullet would be beaut also.
    Hard decision, awesome bait or gourmet tucker!
    I use an Anuka electric hot smoker, cheating perhaps but simple and damn effective!
    Just the thought of smoked fish is giving me cravings!
    Cheers!

Just finish smoking some fresh Rainbow Trout out of Lake Burbury on Tassies west coast.

Fillited the trout then laid them in a salt/sugar mixture. 1 cup of sugar to 1 tablespoon of salt. Let them lie in the mix for about 4/6 hours.

Clean the excess mix off, put on the smoking tray and pour over a little Brandy or Jack Daniels. Smoked for about 15 minutes.

Beautiful on crackers or mix with some philidelfia cream chease, Pat"e to the stars.

Also had a fillet of rainbow with bacon and cream sause for tea.

Hope everybody is salivating, Darryl

Coral Trout. Best smoked fish I have ever eaten. Only one problem. It doesn't last long.

any type of crayfish.. both freshwater and salties. just cut the tails in half and go for it. a little garlic on the meat doesnt go astray either.