PDA

View Full Version : Braid but which one to use

krazyfisher
29-12-2001, 05:25 PM
Can everyone tell me which braid to use I have only use whiplash and like it but is there better and why. I mainly use it to toss lures around. let me know what you think its time to get some more and all info is great.

Muzzy
29-12-2001, 06:28 PM
I switched from fireline and spiderwire stuff to Bionic Braid (well half way to changing all reels over).

I like the feel of the B.B both durring the casting/retrieve/trolling also durring working the line like knots and stuff.

Myself I dont know whats the best thing just what I like to use.

Muz

P.S B.B is also an aussie thing, which is another plus.

Chris_J
29-12-2001, 09:50 PM
Yeah Muzzy

i would have to agree with u on BB its great! the reason behind my praise of this line would be that it has some give (7% don't quote me on that) but is reasonable stiff therfore still that feel that only braid has. it is great for casting and it has good knot strenght.

CJ:)

Luke
30-12-2001, 03:37 AM
I use Berkleys fireline and couldn't be happier with it but I want to support the Aussie product so I will be topping up with BB to give it a try as soon as the spool is down a bit.
Cheers Luke

Cremated_Reddog
30-12-2001, 03:44 AM
Love the feel of BB and the ease of getting backlashes out, but am not overly impressed with the way I am breaking it all the time, am using 30lb and busting it up like it is going out of fashion.. Has been on for about 2 weeks now and have just about spooled one reel already with bust offs.. at times I can't complain about BB but then at times it is weeker than the mono was...... >:( >:( >:(

Make that fully spooled the abu.. now I am pissed off to the max.... there must be a fault with this lot that I got just cause I am a southerner it dun mean I have to get shit like the rest do >:( >:(

not a happy camper at all >:( >:(

Cremated_Reddog
30-12-2001, 08:57 AM
Love the feel of BB and the ease of getting backlashes out, but am not overly impressed with the way I am breaking it all the time, am using 30lb and busting it up like it is going out of fashion.. Has been on for about 2 weeks now and have just about spooled one reel already with bust offs.. at times I can't complain about BB but then at times it is weeker than the mono was...... >:( >:( >:(

Make that fully spooled the abu.. now I am pissed off to the max.... there must be a fault with this lot that I got just cause I am a southerner it dun mean I have to get shit like the rest do >:( >:(

not a happy camper at all >:( >:(

did I just get a bad spool ??? ???

imported_admin
30-12-2001, 09:06 AM
Reddog

Seems strange that you are getting busted off. Is it getting cut from rocks, etc, or is it actually breaking.

Braid is not as resistant to abrasion as mono is due to the thin nature of the product so is not very good around rocks, oysters, etc.

Are you using a leader, if so how long and of what type/size.

If you feel it is simply breaking and not being cut you should take it back to where you bought it from and they can send it back to the factory for testing. If you don't have any luck with them feel free to send it to me and I will get it sorted out for you.

Randall
30-12-2001, 02:28 PM
I`ve been using BB for a few years now and I must say that it is the best I`ve used.
Everybody has differing stories but my experience with the product has been exceptional.
I use 20lb mostly for Bass to Jack. This is all cast and retrieve where line thickness is largely irrelevant.
For occassional trolling, I used to use the 12lb BB but this is not in production any longer. I observed a few probs with the ultra thin 12lb. Breakages mainly. For Bream spinning and deep trolling I now us 8lb fireline. Great stuff and lasts for ages. I have also found the fireline to be OK on Threadline reels. Stray loops seem to be a thing of the past.

The 30 and 50lb BB is tough as nails. For Big Aggressive Barra and Jack, the 30 and 50 is the ducks nuts. Couple the BB with the appropriate Knotted Dogs and you can be very confident to load that sucker hard!!!

Hope this helps.
Regards, Randall.

Volvo
31-12-2001, 12:44 PM
Redog check your guides, might have a bad one there somewhere causing the grief to your braid ???.
Cheers

Simon
03-01-2002, 09:17 AM
I started out using Fireline and still do for the lighter lines ( Bream to Bass). I bought a spool of 12lb BB and have had no problems with it yet. Only fished in the fresh with it casting and trolling for Bass goldens and Mackay Sooties.

I too prefer the look and feel of BB over Fireline. I have found its easier to undo over-runs when I get over excited.

Cheers,

Simon

Travis
03-01-2002, 05:13 PM
Penn Power Braid by Jack Erskine is the greatest braid l have ever used,and l have tried them all.

It's tough powerful and it dosent hold water and its so tightly woven that you cannot tell if its two days or two years old on my reels,just terrific braid.

Its my choice and will always be my first choice of braid(long live jack)...

Randall did mention the knotted dogs they also go perfect with penn braid :P,he is probably tying a new dog on know after being blown away by a Faust barra today.....

Travis

Jack_Lives_Here
12-01-2002, 06:22 AM
I've used BB for a while now and have had mixed results. I would have to say for castability etc it is great but it definitley lacks in knot strength, leading to same sort of experience as Reddog. ::) I originally thought it might be my knots but a bimini on the main to a no name to the leader is the strongest I know to tie.

I've just spooled my Eon with some 30lb Berkley whiplash. It is very soft and more prone to backlash - only when I'm slack on the thumb break - but I like it alot. The knot strength is superb.

imported_admin
12-01-2002, 07:07 AM
The main thing you need to do when using braid is to increase the number of turns used in your knots. With a bimini twist you need to use 70 turns as compared to 20 or 30 that you may use on mono. The increased number of turns decreases the amount of pressure put on the line in any one point, the thinner the braid the more turns required.

See - http://www.ausfish.com.au/harro/knots.htm for more info.

Brett_Finger
16-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Have been useing BB and Penn Braids for 3 years and have found them to bouth be tottally execlent!!!! ;D
Hookin,Brett

Luke
14-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi Reddog,
one thing I've noticed with any braid is that if you are using sinkers it will definitely snap especially if you are slingshotting and the line gets pinched between the sinker and the swivel. It also doesn't have the advantage of mono in that it will wear away a lot quicker with a sinker running up and down it.
Cheers Luke

Maxg
16-04-2002, 12:15 AM
For starters Fireline and Fusion are not braided lines, they are bundled and then heat fused, or chemically fused to provide a polyethylene outer surface. In the braids 30lb BB is actually 36lb and it has a very tight weave which increases the give under high stress, but the stretch is set by the product and is about 3.6%. Braids do not like sharp edges and a broken runner or a crack in a agate line guide on a baitcaster, or a faulty roller on a threadline are disasters. Its much the same as holes in fly reel spools. Just for fun just put a piece of braid gently onto the sharp edge of a razor blade. OOps.
Knot strength is low and if you shunt knots through runners a lot of times you can get fibre fracture due to the shock of the knot striking the runner. The fibre is very stiff, has a very high modulus and has a critical radius, which means it shouldn't be bent at very sharp angles. Like around the edges of holes.
Are you sure the line is not fracturing at knots.
I use braided mono coaxial splices to terminate GsP braids, and I connect lures with clips. I do not use knots at all. All my fly systems are no knot spliced systems. Works very well.
Max

team_mongo
16-04-2002, 03:03 AM
Below are some lines I've tried:

BB - pretty good, high vis, quite supple. Expensive
Platil - Milleunum braid - supple, high vis. Poor abrasion resistence. Cost me 3 barra before respooling on the boat!
Friends tried spiderwire fusion - stiffer, fused outed coat. Once outer coat wears, decreased strength with obvious fraying.
PowerBraid - only used it a little before respooling. Seems thicker, soft, cant comment on abrasion resistence.
Fireline what I mainly use -4,8,15,30 lb on different rigs. Slightly stiff - which I prefer, knots OK, good abrasion resistence, but frays and needs cutting back if baitcasting. Cheaper.
Never tried whiplash.

Cheers

George

Travis
16-04-2002, 05:44 PM
George the Mongo how are you mate.. 8)

Can l just follow up on your post Penn Power Braid it is close to the thinnest if not the thinnest on the market and it would have to be the hardest/corses on the market and the abrasivness well there is no better...........

How l get your reel reeeeeeeelllllllll soon ;D ;)

trav

BOMBER
18-04-2002, 05:44 AM
GO THE BIONIC BRAID, extremely TUFF great to CAST I use it on everything from BASS to BARRA .

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Goodoogetter
18-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Fireline is my choice, I have stuck to it for the last 2 years or more, it looks terrible after a few casts and I used to re-tie for that reason but it retains its strength dispite its furry look, my method of tying is a bimini twist loop in the Fireline then a 2 metre mono leader which is spun up and allowed to twist back on itself giving you a doubled mono leader, join the two loops by threading through and twisting over at least 3 times and finish with a Ronstan clip to the lure.
The biggest problem I had before I used the above was knots shattering in the guides through constant casting.
Cheers Howard.

Cando
19-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Hi, I have been using spiderwire for 7 years now on 3 reels and love it ...... It is still the same spiderwire I got in late 95 and still going strong after 7 years so I have got my money out of it. I guess there is better stuff out now but why change it when it is still working although it is getting a little short on the reels ;D

yellahunter
25-11-2004, 05:33 AM
what do people think about the paltyl millenium braid, ive got it on one reel and i quite like it. looking to respool another reel but never tried any other braids.

any ideas