PDA

View Full Version : Jigging rod

NQCairns
02-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Any ideas for a sweet sub $200.00 ;D to $250.00 :-/ shallow water (less than 60m, 30m mostly) and big fish Jigging rod that is interchangeable between threadline and overhead reel? The interchangeable is not that important but would be nice to have. Thanks.
Cheers nq

Fletch
02-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Mate I have 4 of these rods and they have really copped a hammering, they are a great little Jigging setup, I have fished jigs up to 230g no problem in around 90m of water. I would not hesitate to recommend these. Check them out, you will get a couple for your $250.00.

Fletch

Ugly Stik Black Tiger Casting Rod
Medium-heavy casting rod, 1.65m/5'6", 15-28kg, 6 guides + tip, Exclusive howald process, double built, blank construction for strength and sensitivity (graphite/glass), E-glass outer layer provides superior strength while the graphite inner core offers tremendous sensitivity, Solid clear-tip design, quality fuji components, Guaranteed unbreakable under normal fishing conditions. RRP: $129.95 1484-006

spinner
03-12-2004, 08:28 AM
I agree entirely, don`t know how they can make them for the price.
Reggy

NQCairns
03-12-2004, 11:31 AM
thanks Guys for the info, the price is certainly good ;D any idea where I can find these on the net? Think I will be coming home with one soon.
Reggy is that a penn 535 in the pic? I have one here that needs a reel comfortable seat :D :D what did you think of it on that rod, did you use it for Jigging? cheers nq

spinner
03-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi NQ,
I took this photo from a site where you can read a test on
this rod. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewuglystiktiger.html
I don`t actually own a tiger, but I do speak from experience
with 3 other ugly sticks. One of which is a 6ft 10kg rod I`ve had for 20 years and still gets used regularly.
I jig and float pilchards and troll with this rod and it has chalked up many spanish and tuna over the years.
Fletch may be able to help with the tackle store.
Good luck.,
Reggie

davo189
03-12-2004, 06:27 PM
For jigging you need a stick that has got a bit of attitude and not too soft in the tip. If you look at some of the dedicated jig sticks like Saltiga etc, they are graphite and still quite stiff in the tip.
For around $200 you should be able to pickup a Live Fibre PNG Bass and the 20kg rated version will make a very formidable jig stick. It's graphite composite and as soon as you pick one up, you will know what I am talking about.

Good Luck. :)

Fletch
04-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Dude,

I also have a PNG Black Bass 20kg live fibre...very nice stick, you need to have 30lbs of spaniard on to even put a bend in it :o

Personally, I would still go for the Black Tiger (I did 4 times), they are a really good stick for the options i described, you can land some big brutes with them, but they are also fuin on the rats of the species. Also a lot cheaper :-)

Not sure where you are but I know Gold Coast Fishing Tackle at Nind Street Southport can definitely get the rod for you. I actuallyu have the Pflueger Contender high speed overhead on all of mine, nice little combo that...spooled with 65lb Spiderwire Stealth and have not looked back.
In any case good luck.

NQCairns
04-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Davo you gotta warn people to strap into their seat before they go looking for prices on items, those saltiga's are $600 a pop #:o #didn't know tackle shops had safes long enough to keep rods in ;D
I have been Jigging for years but just as a muck about while fishing, never done it in a dedicated way, just rerigged whatever boat rod I was useing at the time, so have not a clue what a good one would(should) feel like.

If anyone can help, I have been doing some reading and some say a fast softish tip action to stop line wrap (I will be using braid) if the PNG Live fibre is stiff will this be a problem? I like the idea of a light rod, are the ugly stick tigers very heavey? If i dont use them for Jigging they are certainly in the running be my new trustworthy bottom bouncing rod when I can afford it.

The rod will be a dedicated jig stick for me so I would like to get it as right as my budget allows and will only be used on the GBR so I think I need something with enough guts to stop or at least turn some decent fish every now and then.

There seems to be a big hole in rod specifications they should include tho weight as well as the length.

Do I sound confused?-YEP ;D

thanks and cheers nq

fishclaus
04-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I'm after a rod like this too, nq.

Love to know where to get one like the Black Tiger.

NeilD
05-12-2004, 03:29 PM
There are a couple of Samurai blanks designed for jigging. Most of their stuff has been very good value. Does anyone know how much and if they are any good?

Neil

davo189
06-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey NQ, sorry to startle you with the price of the saltiga rods but if you want a real heart attack, have a look at the price of the saltiga reels! :o

The idea with the Live Fibre PNG bass rod is to give you a stick that will put the right action into the jig. Remember that you will be hanging between 200 & 400g of jig off the end and if it is too soft, you will not impart the right action (fish in distress) into the jig. Don't buy a saltiga, but have a look at one and feel the tip. There is also a 10-15kg rated live fibre stick and both of these are graphite and in you price bracket. :)
Only downside is that you will need to fit a gimble but as that is not standard on these sticks.

Cheers, Davo.