PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing set up for alvey reels

redbone
26-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey guys and gals,
Any of you folks ever bowfish for trashfish? If so, have you ever rigged an Alvey reel for use on archery gear? Please help.
Thanks,
Redbone 8)

Jeremy
26-05-2005, 09:17 AM
what are 'trashfish' ??? Are they caught in Australia ???

I assume you would not refer to stingrays as trashfish, because it would imply that you are shooting them simply to kill them and that just ain't right....

Jeremy [smiley=policeman.gif]

Zeeke
26-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Dunno, have thought about it tho

Jeremy.. maybe he's talking about Carp ::) or.. maybe ??? Tilapia... dunno.. :-/

Tim

Dezzer
26-05-2005, 03:21 PM
You can take the man away from the whale hunt but you can never take the whale hunt away from the man :) :)

Dezzer
26-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Ive found an exploding head on a harpoon to be pretty effective on mullet ;D

banshee
26-05-2005, 06:57 PM
In NSW it is illegal to take fish in fresh water with a bow,bows come under the same area restrictions as hand spears/spearguns.I don't have a clue what Queenslands rules are on bow fishing.As far as fixing an Alvey to your bow,it would be far easier to buy the bow specific fishing spool,most if not all archery suppliers would carry one in stock.

szopen
26-05-2005, 07:46 PM
And than use the bow to shoot a fast moving object

like a milk truck maybe?

Now I understand there are people using bows for hunting, but they shoot to kill.
On land.

There are some people in the world bow hunting fish for food.
In Amazon, in Asia ...

Shooting fish just to kill I do not understand, doesn't matter what type of fish.

Volvo
26-05-2005, 09:15 PM
redbone, why would you want to waste a good Alvey on the front end of a Bow when one can purchase the proper reel for the purpose much cheaper ;)..
Me thinks your talking about Carp also when youmention "Trashfish" are you not??..
Keen to know , have you taken your first carp with a Bow as yet??..
Cheers

redbone
27-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Hey Guys,
Easy now! Here in my neck of the woods, trashfish,ie. carp,squawfish , are fair game for bowfishing. They are a non-indigenous preditors that feed on gamefish spawn. Some good natured fisherman or a parent who's kids goldfish{carp} got to big to keep turned the rascals loose. There's millions of them, our impact is nothing on the total carp population. We look at carp like you folks{if I remember right} looked at rabbits.
Yes Volvo, indeed just last week, I took a good fish{17 lbs after 6 hours out water} with my bow and fisharrow. Don't worry that fish and the other 40+ fish taken were recycled into wildlife food. As soon as I get the pictures back I'll post them.
We do go for rays and leopard sharks in the salt and do eat them. YUM!
I own an Alvey for surf fishing with a rod, it's great. I just thought that possibly I could rig one for my bow. Any ideas?
Thanks, RB

Jeremy
27-05-2005, 02:55 PM
sounds like you are in the states somewhere? By the sound of your post I thought at first you may have been someone who is just out to kill easy targets. We have a problem with some people like that over here.

Carp are a pest in rivers and are a declared noxious species over here. Go get em!

BTW, I think an alvey would be fine for your purpose, however you may need something to help guide the line back onto the spool.

Jeremy

Volvo
27-05-2005, 04:48 PM
redbone, been there , done that, go visit your local Bowhunting Shop/supplier n see what they aint got in stock..Sure you will come away with the right spool for the job...
Mindya hows your bow rigged now for that??
whatcha got??, Barebow or Compound??..Brand??..
And yes, would be great to see some Pics :)...
Cheers

lures
28-05-2005, 03:23 PM
So what if he wants to shoot fish with a bow,I have seen you so called sportsfishing club members wiegh in tarpon, only to dump them in my tackle stores crab bait freezer.So pull your heads in if thats what he likes and gets a feed from it good on him.
regards Gary :o

Omnius
09-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Most Bowhunters (inc. bowfisherman) are members of a club and as hunters
they almost always adhere to the Hunters Ethic

I have never heard of a Fishing Ethic apart from peoples own morals