PDA

View Full Version : T curve deep jig

PeterT
14-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I bought 2 Shimano t-curve deep jig spin sticks to go with a Stella 10000 and 6000. Great rod, plenty of tip, plenty of power, good length, finish etc.

But why 2 piece? After a couple of outings the rod is impossible to seperate from the but without doing damage. Not really a problem as a one piece....but if its a selling point, the tolerance of fit is so close that they bind super tight. At least mine have. I spose I should have pulled them apart when I washed them down, but heck who pulls rigged rods apart after every use? Specially when you are going out day after day.

pete

banshee
14-02-2006, 11:56 AM
G'day Pete,help is as close as the kitchen sink,I had the same dramas and it drove me mad cause I put it together a fraction off line the first time and couldn't part it,what I eventualy came up with and it works every time is to use a rubber dishwashig glove to grip the rod section just above the grip then twist the butt section with your other hand,I use a glove that is tight fitting and has a textured surface on it.When you turn the butt section the rod section will more than likely turn too,keep a tight grip and the rubber from the glove will jam in the creases of your fingers and hand and at a point everything becomes locked up and the seal lets go.A word of warning,this tight tolerance dose not last forever,my mate has pulled his apart often and now if there is a reel (Stella 20000) on the bottom half he cant pick the rod up verticaly without leaving the bottom half in the rack,this dose not appear to affect the action of the rod though as he continues to catch some great fish with the rod.To answer the Question,I have no idea why they are two piece and joined where the are,at 5'6" I would have thought that one piece would have been the way to go,but all things considered they are an awsome rod for the money.

Jonli
14-02-2006, 11:58 AM
:)

Do you find the high gear of those reels mentioned suited for jigging ? I wud have thought a lower geared #20000 and #8000 is a better choises but in the hand of an accomplished angler , any reel
will do fine . ;)

JonLi . 8-)

Wyoming
14-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Pete,

I think the 2-piece thing is a left-over from their lighter T-curve rods like the 6'6" tournament rated at around 5 kg. In my case, I often split it so that I can take it on trips in a plane or a car, it just packs better, but I agree that on a bog jig rig, it would be unusual to ever have to split it.

PeterT
14-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks Wyoming, thats about what I ended up doing. But who needs the drama? Think I'll leave them in one piece.

I don't have any probs with the 10000 and 6000. Some jigging but also excellent for reef/wreck bait fishing. But I'll let you know if there is an improvement when I get the rest of the Stella range.

Will probably get a pair of the overheads too.

thanks guys

pete

ssbayguide
14-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Guys

I have also found the problem with the T-Curve Rods.

Slightly more expensive rods don't have this problem - they come apart easily.

The rubber glove works well but slight sanding of the blank or the application of a little wax works well too.

I agree its annoying.

Peter R

Huggy_B
14-02-2006, 06:41 PM
The rods are designed for the Japanese market believe it or not and more often than not they have to travel the world to get to the better jigging destinations. Hence why they make it a two piece, so it can travel in your hand luggage. ;)

Havent tried to part mine yet, but then again I havent used it in anger either >:( this weekend will change that though - weather permitting.

fishface
14-02-2006, 08:38 PM
i just bought one of them as they had them at 25% off .i got the one with the pistol grip and goes with my calcutta 700s. i dont even know where it comes apart to make it a 2 piece. i read that it was 2 piece but i thought it might be just the butt that comes off or something til i got home and saw the rod cloth was small :o
you got me curious now so out with the rubber gloves .
daniel

banshee
14-02-2006, 09:52 PM
G'day Daniel,the join is right at the top grip and when it's apart the ferule is flush with the hypalon,bottom half female top half male.

fishface
14-02-2006, 10:45 PM
thanks banshee il investigate tomorrow

count_baysea
15-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Try candle wax on the ferrol after each trip, might be they only way to stop it freezing up ???

Big_Ren
15-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Some of the high end jig sticks like RedSeaGear. Smiths, Fisherman are two piece and as Banshee said, the join is just above the grip, not half way up the blank. Had a bad experience as a kid with two piece rods up at Rainbow Beach. It was a cr*p rod and casting off the beach, the top half launched itself trying to catch the sinker. Ended up having to swim out and retrieve the top half. That's left an imprint on me and I have never bought a two piece since, despite the fact the quality has improved a hundred-fold.

Cheers
Paul

PeterT
15-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Banshee, the rubber glove worked fine on one, but the other is proving difficult.

Funny, I don't need to pull them apart but it sticks in your mind and you have to keep trying.

thanks pete

count_baysea
15-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Just another thought,
Try holding the rod behind your knees (knees together). as you pull the rod apart behind, use your knees as leveredge and this should pull the rod straight and not twist it. Another thing ive seen people bang there rods down on the butt end after cathing a fish. Wouldnt this push the top half of the rod in further and leed to it getting stuck, if you know what i mean.

PeterT
16-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Got the second one out. Needed a mate to twist the but and pull like buggery. We could only get enough torque by attaching a reel and using it as a windlass to wind the thing like a crank handle. The rubber glovers near ripped my skin off.

I have steel wooled both rods and applied a rub of candle wax.

On the question of suitability of the 10000 stella and 6000. I have no problems but anyway you never look a gift horse in the mouth. My missus has given me a stella for my birthday for the last 2 years. I'm looking forward to my next because they are just such a fantastc reel and a very beautiful piece of machinery to look at as well.

MMMMMM Stella - is good.

pete