PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Plastic Rod/Reel outfit?

mjc85
30-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm looking to purchase a setup to use primarily for soft plastic fishing on reefs for snapper etc.

I will also use this same outfit for chucking big plastics for jew/big flathead/jacks and barra.

I was thinking of something along the lines of

Daiwa Certate 3000 $450 approx from Raef
Daiwa Team Advantage 7foot 8-17lb $225
and running PE1.5(15lb) braid. (is 15lb an overkill?)

Do you recommend i change anything ? I was considering a GL2 loomis but i hear they aren't worth the money.

Fishin_Dan
31-05-2006, 11:06 AM
The rig you are talking about is probably overkill for shallow snapper. I use a 2500 with 6lb braid and never had a problem. Am considering going to 4lb braid for a bit more fun. I know some people use it without too many problems.

However the fact you are also considering using it for jewies/jacks/etc, means that you would need the extra "firepower", and that rig seems to be fine for it. Although maybe go to 20lb braid? (I don't fish for the other fish as much, so not entirely sure)

wesbo
31-05-2006, 01:12 PM
hi mjc82

i use 2500 stradic spooled with 8lb fire line and a 14lb leader on a berkly 4kg 7 feet drop shot i've got good jews and snapper on this outfit.

mjc85
31-05-2006, 02:48 PM
The rig you are talking about is probably overkill for shallow snapper. I use a 2500 with 6lb braid and never had a problem. Am considering going to 4lb braid for a bit more fun. I know some people use it without too many problems.

Yeh i have a shimano outfit already for 6lb braid and i don't think i'd wanna accidentally hook a cobe or mackerel when plastic fishing for mackerel on this] ;D

Fishin_Dan
31-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Where's your sense of adventure? ;D I have been known to occasionally throw slugs at chopping tuna on my 6lb bream rod... ::) They can (and have) been caught, you've just got to take your time...

Mackeral on the other hand would be more an issue of your leader. If you had a heavy leader on the 6lb braid, you should be ok... Well as ok as being hooked up on 6lb braid! ;D Be prepared to chase hard with the boat, cause a 2500 size reel doesn't hold as much line as you think when one of the toothies climbs on!

mjc85
31-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Haha yeh well i don't really want to have to chase the fish, i have a hard enough time getting 3kg trevally in on the 6lb outfit in the river, i can imagine what it would be like with anything bigger

Wyoming
01-06-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm with Dan here-

The TDA is a great rod for the jacks etc, but a tad heavy for your Moreton Bay Snapper. Take a look at the Shimano T-curve and you won't be dissappointed. Totally agree with your comment about the value of the G Loomis.

Neil

finding_time
01-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Got to agree with Dan!! Sense of adventure thats what fishings about.

I run a 2500 stratic on a 3-5 kg Loomis :o and have landed so great snapper also a 11kg long tail, 17 kg cobia, and a 7 kg yellow tail kingy so with a bit of patience and a lot of chasing you will catch most things.

One thing to consider with the bigger outfit is its weight as the heavier outfit is going to be very tiring after a while .

Ian

Roo
01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
dan, you're the man. ;D ;D
After all life is just an adventure. ;)

my 6lb outfit...... shimano spirex 2000 and shakespere 4-6kg spin rod has handled everything from 2 inch tailor to 3-4kg mac and LT tuna. we did a bit of chasing. but otherwise no dramas!

Roo
01-06-2006, 01:40 PM
mac

mjc85
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
One thing to consider with the bigger outfit is its weight as the heavier outfit is going to be very tiring after a while .

Ian

But the certate 3000 is 8grams heavier than the 2500 stradic. and the rod i'm sure theres nothing in it.