PDA

View Full Version : Barra outfit advice

JohnThomas1
20-05-2006, 03:49 PM
hi guys. My friend is going to nab his first overhead outfit, for fishing 8kg line on heavy barra. I used to be up with the tackle but slackened off years back. I use either an ultragraph 3000 or a custom GL Loomis made by Vic McCrystal's rod builder from back in the day. Can't remember now if it was 666, 667 or 668 but it redlines 8 kg and is beatiful. I match it with a Calcutta 400. The friend doesn't want to spend oodles on a rod and is in two minds about the reel. He doesn't know whether to go straight to a Calcutta 400 or ease in on a cheaper reel.

I have scoured plenty of rods and have found a few goodies. Pardon me for forgetting models but i am sure you guys will know them off by heart.

Shimano Elite Backbone model - feels like it would fish 8 kg to the hilt and a very nice rod.

Ugly Stick - the graphie glass baitcaster, heavier than most but would redline 8 for sure.

Silstar - found one of these in 6-8 but it feels like it is closer to 6.

Steve Starling shimano - 4-8 i think but feels like perfect for 6. We want 8.

Shimano Barra Magnum Plus 6-10, awesome rod but we don't think it would be that much better than say the elite and is $50 dearer.

Reels we are looking either at going all out on the Calcutta 400 or maybe an Abu 6500 C3 or summin. Something that takes plenty of 8 we are thinking. We will also be out chasing school mack now and again.

Any idea's or reinforcement of our's guys?

Regards
John

turley
20-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey john, i've got the raider barra mauler(2pc version of the magnum) and I have been extremely impressed with it so far. I regularly cast upto 30g lures and it handles upto that mark well. Its accounted for quite a few mackral so far and it's always performed beautifully. The biggest difference i can see about the raider and the backbone is the raider has alconite guides and the reel seat is a blank through design. If you are looking for cheap as possible have a look around for one of the older model backbone rods as I have seen them goign for as low as $50. If your trolling an abu 6500 would be fine but casting I would recommend a reel a bit lighter/smaller. A smaller reel can hold a suprisingly large amount of braid. In your situation I would suggest a daiwa HRF combined with the barra magnum. Cheaper would be the backbone with an abu.

HAve fun catchen them!

Turley.

hardb8
20-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi John,
# # # # # #I'm sure you've heard this before (You get what you pay for)I reckon this applys particularly with anything to do with marine products.Rods only break when overloaded or used at the wrong angles and if treated right will last a long time.Reels on the other hand have a lot of moving parts therfore are subject to wear.It is true they to can be broken if overloaded,Bent spool shafts,Scorched drag washers and plates etc.But I personaly would spend any extra cash on the reel.I save hard and but the best tackle available,Look after it better than I do the missus and it has never let me down.I know this applys to mid rangestuff as well as I still have my first bait caster an Abu 6500 in perfect working order after about 22 years of loyal service.If you are only gonna use the rod occasionaly buy a mid range stick or topend if it'll get alot of use.Steer clear of cheap stuff at all costs.
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Cheers hardb8 #;)

barradise
23-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi John,
Take a good look at the Penn International range of baitcasters.
I often use a Penn International 975 on a Wilson 50lb Impoundment Barra Stick.
The reel is top of the self stuff for heavy sportfishing or light game fishing in both fresh and saltwater environments.
Never had a problem after five years of hard use catching everything from 1m plus barra to blue-fin tuna off central Queensland.
Very easy to get replacement parts and easy to clean, but they are a tad heavy for all day casting but thats what you get with so much S/S inside them.
John

JohnThomas1
23-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Thanking you lots guys.

turley - Most of our fishing will be bait fishing and especially live. Craig will definitely be using conventional line (This might go aaginst the smaller reel now?) i'd say, Platypus Pink in 8KG. He's going to spend about the $100 and we can get the new Elite Backbone for that as well as te others i named. We don't fish often but have just got back into it and will be going every two weeks roughly. He got keen on better gear as i caught 2 decent barra and a king while he got nothing just the other day. Gear isn't everything but i am sure you excellent anglers know it doesn't hurt to be decently equiped.

Thanks heaps already.

hardb8 - Mate that is damned impressive. 22 years and still going strong, just goes to show. We are looking at the midrange stick and will definitely take into consideration your extra money on the reel advice.

Thanks heaps.

barradise - interesting name! Haven't looked at the Penn's so thanks for adding another option. We would prolly never be all day casting so that shouldn't be an issue in consideration.

Great stuff.

turley
23-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Baitfishings changes it abit. I reckon a 6500 on a backbone would be perfect for that purpose. Using mono does certainly change the size of your reel.

JohnThomas1
23-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Baitfishings changes it abit. I reckon a 6500 on a backbone would be perfect for that purpose. Using mono does certainly change the size of your reel.

Thanks heaps, it seems nobody goes for the graphite/glass uglystick, which definitely steers me away from it. I pondered whether it might be like my 3000 but even more robust.

garygusart2000
23-05-2006, 03:25 PM
hey barradise how do you find the wilson for casting and what sort of lures weights etc do you cast with it as I am currently looking at getting an impoundment rod
cheers mate Gus

jimbolikes_barra
23-05-2006, 04:47 PM
hi john thomas
just to clear sumpthin up is ur mate casting or trolling with this outfit??

JohnThomas1
23-05-2006, 06:58 PM
hi john thomas
just to clear sumpthin up is ur mate casting or trolling with this outfit??

Hi - we will be mostly fishing live bait and sometimes pillies etc for school Mackeral. The mate would never cast lures to the Barra but MIGHT throw the odd one to the Doggies etc. Most likely he will be fishing bait there too. I am actually going to lend him my old Jack Erskine Abu for a few weeks till we get sorted, i think it is about a 4600? It's the smaller one and has a fast ratio. We don't fish 8 kilo to the effective max as better anglers probably would so it will be ok. It has been in the past.

finding_time
23-05-2006, 11:04 PM
:D

grave41
25-05-2006, 12:07 AM
A little birdie told me the wilson impoundment barra rod is built on a samuari jig blank .Haunt the pawn shops you will be surprised at what you pick up.eg custom flame wrap 8kg $25 ,loomis crankbait 756 $45,just keep an eye open.

barradise
31-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi Gus,
Have no problem casting even the most lightest barra lures using the Penn - Wilson Impoundment barra stick combo. It makes a great all round tropical outfit as well, even for tuna and trevally.

The blank in fact is based on the Wilson 'Black Bass' stick, which we all know are oversize mangrove jack (almost any way) and are one tough fighting fish that love tight areas and need taming quick smart. The only down fall with this gear is that most barra lures arn't up to its power so your need to compensate for that.
Regards,

John

garygusart2000
31-05-2006, 09:31 AM
thanks John will check it out at local shop ;D
Gus

dasher
05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
hey barradise how do you find the wilson for casting and what sort of lures weights etc do you cast with it as I am currently looking at getting an impoundment rod
cheers mate Gus

Hey Gus, have a chat to JB mate. ;) He's just sent me up a Cordoba IM6 Lure Caster. It's about 5 and a half foot long (one piece) and light as a feather. Tuff little bugga too, 2 of us couldn't break it. ;D ;D ;D
He gets them off Rob at Profish charters (who is the only importer as far as I know) for about $50 bucks. I'm gunna get another one for the salt and probably one of their bream sticks. Oh by the way, are you still bringing the boat. ;)

sushi_fish01
05-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Currently using the calcutta TE 400 for dam barra but used to have a 6500 c3.
Not a bad reel to cast, but for the big stuff the 6500 didnt cut it as far as drag capacity. Not casting for BIG dam barra anyway. The new calcutta couldnt be more suited for the purpose
just one mans opinion
cheers josh

garygusart2000
06-06-2006, 05:46 AM
thanks Dash I picked up a wilson on Friday tough rod . can't wait for Sep. yes I'm towing the boat up got a few weeks off so no hurry
Gus