PDA

View Full Version : SE Qld Fishing report - October 29

Nugget
30-10-2001, 01:21 AM
Sand crabs have been the talk of the town this week with good reports from the western side of North Stradbroke Island, particularly around Deanbilla Bay and improvements around the southern Bay islands.
There are still good catches from the central and northern Bay as well with the Spoil Ground off Mud Island one of the more productive locations.
There have been lots of undersize squire around the shallows of Peel and the yellow special marker off Goat but keepers have been a bit harder to find.
Best results this week came from around the Lazaret Gutter but make sure you are aware of the Protected Zone boundary.
At last the weed that has plagued the southern Bay and Jumpinpin has diminished enough to make trolling lures bearable.
Flathead have been in good numbers on the edge of sand banks from the mouth of the Logan around to the southern side of Russell and from Swan Bay back to Squire Island.
There have also been good numbers in the Broadwater around the Deep Hole near the John Elkes beacon and in the Seaway.
Robert Payne had a good session on rubber tailed jigs in this area on Sunday, landing lizards to 83cm.
School jew have been the target species in the Logan River leading up to this week’s full moon.
Good numbers have been caught throughout the River, the better locations have been Marks Rocks and the outside edge of the deep-water bend just up river from Carbrook known as the Elbow.
Big fat prawns have been the “secret” bait but they are also being caught on small live mullet.
There are also good numbers of big fat whiting around the green beacons of Aggeston Sands and around the back of the islands heading towards the pump station.
Mud crabs have been very scarce in the Logan, better results have come from the stretch of water between Redbill Island at the mouth of the River up the Redland channel to Point Talburpin.
Decent weather condition over the weekend saw plenty of boats cross the bar with the majority heading for Deep Tempest.
Results were slow with the better fish including squire, amberjack and small kingies, not coming on the bite till later in the day.
Offshore educator Bill Corten of Reel Affair Charters found good fish on the top end of the 39s in near glass-out condition on Saturday.

ENDS
Dave Downie ><>

Luke
01-11-2001, 09:50 AM
Gday Dave,
Have you had many reports on Jacks around as yet?
Cheers Luke

PAYNE
02-11-2001, 01:28 PM
If Hervey Bay fits into the S.E. Qld area, there are a lot of Golden Trevally showing up in the area from Moon Point to Kingfisher Bay.
A friend of mine who can't throw a flyrod to save himself caught one and hooked another, as well as landing a mac tuna. Mind you he was fishing by himself too which means he has done a very good job.
He is a Hervey Bay local and suggests that if you want to give these fish a go, get there before the netters do!!
Another somewhat better flycaster caught three yesterday.
Unfortunately I have family matters to contend with over the weekend otherwise I'd be there with bells on!

Nugget
06-11-2001, 02:13 AM
I noticed during the bream tournament a few weeks ago one angler said he caught over 10 jacks while targeting bream.
My guess is they were rats and caught around Sanctuary Cove marinas - they're always there at this time of year.
I caught a few a couple of weeks ago but the weed throughout the Pin was making it hard.
Weed is better now so I'll start chasing them again - especially after the warm weather has started.
Early starters are usually Pimpama River, Sanctuary Cove and Coombabah Creek.

Cheers
Dave ><>