PDA

View Full Version : November 5 SE Qld fishing report

Nugget
06-11-2001, 02:18 AM
Sand crabs are still your best option this week as numbers continue to improve throughout the bay.
As reported last week, one of the hot locations has been east of Mud Island however you might have to extend the dilly rope as the better numbers are coming from 20 meters of water.
There has also been good catches in the southern bay particularly south of the Pelican Banks and behind Lamb Island.
Muddies are still spread pretty thin with the upper end of creeks and out-of-the-way backwater your best bet.
One such location that has reportedly produced results has been the deeper water in Duck Creek at the Pin.
Big fat summer whiting are at their peak over the next few months and by all reports this is one of the better whiting seasons for many years.
In Moreton Bay they are being caught around the sandy spits off Snipe and Garden Island, inside the green beacons off the southwest corner of Coochiemudlo Island, around King Island and in the more exposed waters around the Rous, Mount Cotton Reach and Fishermans Gutter.
Bloodworms are the pick of the baits but a yabbie or small peeled prawn should entice a few into the esky.
The shallows of Peel are turning up a few good sweetlip over the last few weeks with the Spit beacon (just outside the protected zone) and South West Rocks two of the better spots.
Very early morning before the sun hits the water throwing unweighted hardyheads close to reef structure is one technique that is producing fish.
With the weed dropping off throughout the Pin trolling lures for flathead has produced excellent results.
Bright pink is the hot colour and anywhere that drops from shallow sand banks to deeper water is the area to target.
Follow the beacon lines through a channel trolling the shallow side of the beacons targeting the drop into the channel.
Look for two to four meters of water ensuring your lure is hitting the bottom.
A few billfish have been sighted and hooked up offshore over the past few weeks with the area 18 mile off Caloundra producing the best catches.
For up to the minute info, tune into Ron Collins and myself on 4BC Talking Fishing between 4.30–6am every Saturday and Sunday mornings.
ENDS
Dave Downie ><>

poppy
07-11-2001, 07:20 AM
G'day Nugget, #Went out monday morning about 9.00am and fished two hours up to and past the high down around the Pin and Squire Is, couldn't catch cold in winter. #Got #one bream about 28cms. #Pushed the missus overboard twice but she kept on getting back in the boat. :-/

The fishing show I usually listen to Sunday mornings and it's terriffic, but why have it in a timeslot that 95% of fishy types are asleep. #I know the best times are supposed to be early in the morning or early evening for catching fish. # But lets face it most people are missing the show. #Do we need to do some pleading with 4BC or is there some other reason that the show is on so early.

Kindest regards Pete ;) ;)

Nugget
09-11-2001, 03:02 PM
Hi poppy,
Mate I'm glad you like our radio show - Ron has done a great job on the format - and it will continue to improve as we work out what anglers want.
We really appreciate any feedback as that's the only way we know if we're on the right track.
The time allocations on radio are pretty tight - it's a big bonus that we have the extra half hour starting at 4.30 am rather than 5am.
I'm sure Ron will be able to post here and give a few more insights into the workings of radio - he's the "main man" - I'm just the fill in allowing him time to push a few buttons.
But we are really enjoying doing the show.
Why not ring in on the show - we'd love to hear from you - especially if you're out on the water having a fish.

Cheers for now

Dave ><>

Heath
12-11-2001, 07:06 PM
Whats the phone number Nugget????

Nugget
14-11-2001, 01:06 AM
It's an easy one to remember - 13 13 32

Cheers

Dave ><>

Heath
14-11-2001, 04:02 PM