PDA

View Full Version : squire and grass sweetlip

aquarius
25-11-2001, 04:48 PM
;)We fished the drop off at wellington point on friday......An incoming tide peaking at 3-30pm.
The tide was slow running so no sinker was used, just two 1.os ganged together with a swivel attached.
Caught 4 squire to 43cms and 3 sweetlip to 37cms...lost many other bigger fish as they dived into the snags and broke the line. # # #TIP.
1 thing thats very important is to keep a steady flow of burley going to bring the fish to the area.
Also caught 1 shark and lost what we think was a long tailed tuna...took out 200meters of line before breaking the 100lb leader.
Thats my fishing report for the week ending 25th november.
good fishing to you all.
Cheers # Brent

Justin
29-11-2001, 05:12 PM
Can you give a mug some pointers to where the dropoff is ?

Regards

Justin

craigie
30-11-2001, 10:29 AM
G'day mr Aquaries (Brent),

I regularly fish this area as well and usually score a feed of mixed Reefies. I'm yet to catch any huge fish but Squire and Grassy Sweetlip to 40cm will do just fine.

Planning a trip out there at day break tomorrow if the wind allows me, I'll keep you posted on how I go.

Justin,

You really need a sounder to locate the drop - off. As you come out of the string of Beacons from the Wello Boat Ramp, you have the option of going right or left. Either way will put you on the Coral Ledge. The water is about 5 Metres deep at the base, then it comes up to 2 -3 m on top of the Coral #on the run in tide. The large Red Beacon between King Island and Green Island is another good area to try for these Bay Reefies.
When I'm out there in the morning, I'll look for a couple of Landmarks that may assist you.

Cheers Guy's

Craigie.

aquarius
02-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Hello there Justin.
Craigie is right ,a sounder is the best way to find the drop off.
If you don't own one another way of finding the depth is to take out with you 5 metres of rope attached to a large snapper lead. # There's a wall that drops from 1metre down to 5 metres, this is to the right of the leeds towards ormiston point. When the water is clear this shear verticle wall is quite visable. This is where you need to position your boat.
Ill let you into a secret.. :-X...Go to your favourite tackle shop and buy a spool of VANISH (14 TO 17 LBS)...add 2 metres of this to your main line as a trace....its magic stuff!!!!!!!
good luck mate.

Craigie how did you go the other day?
I went out on friday the 30th but it was far too rough....we dont catch the big sweetlip in rough water.
cheers Brent ;D

craigie
04-12-2001, 12:35 PM
G'day Brent,

I fished the morning session(Nov 30) at Wello between 4.30am and 7.00am. The water was like glass, the conditions were fabulous. We kept 6 squire and two Grassy Sweetlip and released many that were just under size. Also released half a dozen Mosses Perch that were just on legal size. Our best fish was a 3 pound Squire at about 42cm long. My first 3 casts were bust off's to respectable fish, I'm sure my reflexes were still asleep and the fish #were quick to "brick" me in the Coral. There was a boat only 50 metres from where I was anchored and I saw him catch at least a dozen "Keepers".
I will be out there again on the 11 or 12 of December depending on the weather. I like the early morning High Tides around 7.00 am. You tend to get less wind in the mornings. I won't go out if It's windy.

What type of boat do you have Brent, I'll keep a look out for you ?

Cheers
Craig.

webby
04-12-2001, 04:12 PM
Hi fellas, Justin- if u put in at wellington, when u pass the last
set of leads turn right and head to huyber light for abt 300m
turn left in towards land, u need to be in about 6-8ft of water
get there abt 2hr before high. use a little lead as possible
another spot is mt wellington. leaving wello line up red behind
and strait for hybers lite, youll come across a big drop with
abt 20feet of water under u it rise pretty fast sit on top and
drift the drop offs.
webby

aquarius
04-12-2001, 09:23 PM
Hello again Craig...yeah the mornings are the best time to be on the water.
At least you got yourself a feed....40cms plus is a good size fillet....the bigger ones are there im sure....you just have to be patient.
What are you using as bait? # I prefer whole squid and WA pilchards
MY boat is a tri hull sort of american style bass boat(blue and white)i have a 75 mercury motor......Its a very stable boat but does'nt handle the rough conditions too well....I dont go out in anything over 15 knots. What sort of boat do you own?
Im out there as often as possible...you can't keep me away....my aim is to catch a snapper in this area....just a matter of time.
Craig if you like catching sharks just put out a floating line....they are around there in numbers at the moment.
Cheers # #Brent.

aquarius
05-12-2001, 08:40 AM
Hey Webby...The huybers beacon is to the left of the last beacon at wellington point leeds.
Sorry mate i didn't want to confuse Justin.
Cheers Brent

craigie
05-12-2001, 01:13 PM
G'day Brent,

Mate, I'm using whole squid about 3 inches long (tube length) as well as half Pilly's (Head only). My berley consists of chopped Pilly (Tail section) chook pellets, tuna oil etc. A mate of mine uses Cuttlefish as bait to great effect.

Your Boat sounds like it would be hard to miss, A tri hull would be very stable indeed. My rig is a 4.6m Clark (Barra style Boat) with a tiller steer 40 hp Mariner. It also has a Bow mount Minn Kota, although It's there for show most of the time.

I've been fishing this area regularly each summer for the last 4 years, but I'm yet to catch a Squire or Sweetlip much bigger that 40 odd cm. I'm not complaining, I think there great fish for this location. Who knows, there may be bigger fish, If I ever get a "Nobby" at "Wello", I'll be celebrating big time !!!!

Yes the Sharks are a bit of fun, especially on my little Cacutta Baitcaster outfit. Been busted up by the occasional Mackerel as well.

I'll keep you posted,

Cheers
Craigie.

webby
05-12-2001, 02:48 PM
:P sorry justin i just notice i had put in right instead of left
tks (aquaries) if you fellas go over to peel at all, its a good
time to fish lazerats gutter, for sweetlip, u actually go into
lazos gutter abt 100-150m sit rite in the channel and float
your bait best whole squid on 2 snooded rig, but cast onto
side of channel and let bait float back over edge into deeper
water, very early am or very late pm with run out tide. the
sweetie come of the higher reef into deep water as tide runs
out, if u can catch some hardheads they work better still live.
webby

aquarius
06-12-2001, 09:45 PM
Hi guys 8)
I hope we all catch a 'nobby' or extra large sweetlip this summer.
Craigie i use the tail end of the pilly....i put two half hitches around the tail to make for better casting....also seems to be the firmer piece of the bait.
I use all my old bait as well as chook pellets,fish frames,tuna oil, everthing goes through the chopping machine i have at my place of work.
Good fishing fella's catch a big one!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Brent ;)

wishey
07-12-2001, 06:57 AM
Hi guys
Glad to see you are geeting a few reefies at wello ;D.
I have caught most of the bigger fish, squire to 3 kilo during the winter months out along the drop offs at night.
And most of the bigger Sweetlip have come from water no deeper than 6 foot.
but its a matter of stopping them or poping them in the shallow water. :P
best of luck
copya

aquarius
07-12-2001, 10:35 PM
Hi Wishey
3kilo is a good size squire....how many cms long?
Whats your prefered bait?
Do you go out on a new moon or don't you take the moon thing seriously.....I have never caught much on a full moon. ::) ::)
Good to see the bigger fish are around the drop off's at night.
Let me know how you go next time you'r out around wello.
Cheers Brent

wishey
08-12-2001, 12:18 PM
Hi Brent
Yes mate i will let you know when i am planning to go out there next time.
I have found that the run up to a full moon can be productive at times.
But i have also come a gusta on it too.
I mainly use flesh baits , Mullet, Bonito, garfish, and tailor.
That squire was a bit over 60 cm, and was full of hardiheads.
The southeast wind seems to make them feed a bit better there too.
copya

aquarius
08-12-2001, 02:28 PM
Gidday Wishey
You are 100% right the southeast winds are the best....as soon as the wind changes to northeast the bite rate drops dramatically.
Do you fish to the left or right of the wellington point leads?
Do you catch any sweetlip at night in the 3 kilo class?
cheers Brent 8)

wishey
08-12-2001, 04:33 PM
hi brent
I hope you got the info i sent you.
Just watch out for those yellow ones , they will bust you off as quick as lookin at ya.
best of luck
copyalater ;D