PDA

View Full Version : Wello reef report 1st of Feb

aquarius
02-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Big tides made the fishing difficult around the Wellington point drop off.........We fished from 10am to 3pm......The morning session was calm but the wind increased to 15 knots from the southeast by lunch time.
Caught( 3 moses perch) 2 squire and 2 grass sweetlip around the 33 cm mark......lost heaps of bigger fish in the coral.
Also dropped in 4 crab pots and caught 6 sandies....all bucks around 17 to 18 cms.
Prefered bait on the day was whole squid on a 2 gang rig....small sinker on top of the hook to avoid getting caught up in the reef.
berleying heavily 1 hour either side of the high tide brought the fish on the chew.
report ends
cheers Brent ;)

sav
03-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Aqu
Half your luck - I travelled down from Toowoomba to fish the reek of Wello with Cragie. We had a nice night with a mate and a BBQ coral trout plus a few cold ones but at around 4am the wind was howling. End of trip pretty well - we went crabbing and caught heaps of undersize and jennies.
Back to Cressbrook for me.
Maybe some other time.
Fish Fish Fish
Sav

aquarius
03-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Yes Sav...Craig told me the trip was called off because the wind was howling.
Mate there's always next time....You better get down again soon though because the sweetlip wont be around for too long...as soon as the water starts to cool down they are off....don't ask me where they go.........someone out there might know.
I don't mind catching squire but the sweetlip taste alot nicer !!I went up to cressbrook a couple of months ago. #no luck except some small perch......but hey thats fishin...next time im coming up to cressbrook you might be able to give me some info on where you fish.
cheers #Brent

sav
05-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Aqu
If you plan a trip to Cressbrook let myself or Cragie know - we'll give you a few tips (from the amatures).
The bass are still on the go at Cressy. Mainly catching them on sliders and sinking fly in 20ft water.
I'll give wello a go next year I think.
See ya
Sav

aquarius
05-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Thanks Sav....i will let you know the next time i plan a trip up your way........Do those bass taste as good as the saltwater fish? 8)
Cheers Brent

craigie
06-02-2002, 06:02 AM
G'day Brent,

Bass are not to bad to eat. I guess they're a lot like most salt water fish in the fact that eaten fresh straight out of the Esky and you can't go wrong. Most of the Bass, Sav and I catch are released as we just love hookin the things on Lures. These Fish are Fabulous sport on light line.

Cheers
Craig.