PDA

View Full Version : March 18 SE Qld report + big snapper picture

Nugget
19-03-2002, 02:15 AM
The banana prawns have arrived!
The first reports of banana prawn catches from the area around the southern bay islands are filtering through, I managed my limit on Sunday in just under two hours of cast netting.
The main concentration was at the southern end of the channel that runs between Macleay and Garden islands but I also found patches around the Karragarra Ws and the Lucas Passage.
You may have to chase around a bit to find any numbers, but it’s worth the effort as they were good quality prawns.
The other good news is that on the way back home to the Logan I picked up two school jew around Marks Rocks and saw several other anglers with a feed of schoolies.
Vic Mahr caught one around three kilo on Saturday then backed up with one almost twice as big on Sunday.
They are feeding on the larger prawns and most are being caught towards the bottom of the tide in the deeper holes.
There are quite a few small bream and catfish in the river as well so you will have to have a bit of patience and lots of bait or better still, use a live prawn, which the pickers tend to leave alone.
Tailor are still the most sort after species around the Pin Bar area and they have been obliging provided we don’t have a northerly.
There were quite a few caught from the surf between the bar and the Bedrooms on Saturday by club anglers and there were choppers between Crusoe Island and Swan Bay on Sunday morning.
Vermin are dominating catches in Moreton Bay however those targeting diver whiting are easily getting a feed.
Most productive areas have been the Naval Reserve and Amity banks and around the Compass Adjustment Buoy just north of the Brisbane River mouth.
Bream are the main species being caught by bayside land-based anglers along any rock or rubble foreshore or headland, many are undersize but dusk and dawn with live yabbies or fresh gut should produce a few keepers.
Whiting are still being caught around Wellington Point out to King Island with the first few hours of darkness using bloodworms the best technique.

ENDS
Dave Downie ><>

PS - John Palermo with a quality knobby - caught on a live bait using a floater rig - a 7766 with a 10 ball on top!

Lucky_Phill
20-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Nice pic Dave ! which ones the Snapper ???

Nugget
20-03-2002, 02:02 PM
That's easy - the one with the big nose - ha ha ha!!

Lucky_Phill
20-03-2002, 03:43 PM
It's all getting clear now Dave. ;)