PDA

View Full Version : Escott Barra Lodge

staggy
08-05-2002, 06:28 PM
G-day everyone,
The trip up to Escott was a ripper. Good weather had us out on the water exploring the many sections of the Nicholson river each morning. Plenty of crocks about so we didn't muck about putting the boats in, kept the kids well back from the water while we launched .
There are no proper boat ramps it's all bank side launching.
Biggest crock seen was around 4mtrs long sunning himself on a sand bar.

For $77 a night you get a motel style room. Small fridge, electric jug and some beds plus your own shower and toilet.
No cooking facilitys at all. If you want to use a barbeque it's a short drive up to the camping area to use one in the park. We took a gas one and cooked with it. I think a powered site at the camping grounds was $8 per adult per night.

On arrival when you check in you are given a map of the propertys roads showing you were to go. My advice is throw it away as it's hopeless. Where the map shows 1 road you find 4 of them and it's a gamble as to witch one to take. We found asking other boaties was the quickest way around.

All the roads were in fair condition. Some sections had washouts and a 4x4 is a must, also in the fresh water reaches it's sandy at the access points. It took us an hour to travel 12km towing our boats. Most people had car toppers. But as long as your not in a hurry a trailer boat is fine.

Diesel at Gregory River was $1.09 a lit and $1.06 at Burketown.

My eldest son Brian was chuckin lures even as we launched the boat so it was no surprise when he nailed a nice little 65cm barra in less then 10 min . Took me closer to half an hour before I caught a smaller one. Gold Bommers were the go. Stev's daughter caught a blue salmon on bait just up from us.

First night back at camp Steve caught another 70cm barra off the cause way 100mtrs from the rooms we stayed in. Blind casting in the pitch black using a gold bommer. We were trying to get them on surface fizzers when Steve walks down and second cast he's on.

Four more barra next morning back at the river between two boats also a blue salmon. Only a couple of catties. back to camp for breaky and then down to the cause way with my youngest son. He caught 2 small barra around 25cm on a light spinning outfit useing a deception nipper lure. His first barra wasn't big but his smile sure was. A couple of sooties were caught there as well on bait by the kids.

No more fish were caught in the salt after the second day. The biggest one I hooked was in the freshwater reaches. We positioned the boat out from a stand of timber and threw our lures at it for around 5 min. Then as I watched my lure (spoonbill predatek) coming up a very large bronze barra slamed it a couple of meters from the boat. As my line was being ripped of the calcutta for some reason I thought thuming the spool to try and keep him out of the sticks was a really good idea. Well you can guess what happened. Looks like I will have to buy another lure and try again.

We all had a great time and will return for another crack at the one that got away.

Staggy.