PDA

View Full Version : Catties

jackash
04-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Hey guys heading up the Brisbane River tomorrow. I know it sounds strange but hoping to get into a few catties and maybe bream for some fun. Just wondering if catfish are an easily targeted species on soft plastics and if you have a favourit lure for catching these 'unfavouritefish' of yours, any information would be useful. THanks,
Jackash.

vertico
04-04-2004, 04:23 PM
they maybe vermen but they sure do fight !
especially on light gear and when they are around 4kg!!!
have fun , give the berkley dropshotters in 3" watermelon (if you can find some)
I just imported 20 packs of watermelon so anyone after some let me know Ill give em to you cheap

jackash
04-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks,
Got dropshots but all i got is the pearl blue or whatever it is and the rainbow ones, reckon they will work.
Cheers,
JAckash.

bidkev
05-04-2004, 02:57 AM
Hey guys heading up the Brisbane River tomorrow. I know it sounds strange but hoping to get into a few catties and maybe bream for some fun. Just wondering if catfish are an easily targeted species on soft plastics and if you have a favourit lure for catching these 'unfavouritefish' of yours, any information would be useful. THanks,
Jackash.

Hi Jackash.

The missus loves catfish and the frames make excellent pot bait so I sometimes target 'em deliberately.

I use flounder spoons baited with fish or squid strip and have had catties to 5 kilo on 'em. These spoons are based on UK models that are used to target flat fish (bottom feeders) and I have also had some excellent flathead using them.

A faster retrieve also pulls other fish such as tailor.

If anyone is interested in the design, I can post a picture here and instructions on how to easily make 'em.

kev

Only just getting into the softies so I can't help you there but I know what works for me.

bazzaman
05-04-2004, 12:32 PM
CATTIES TO EAT!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

michael_Brewer
05-04-2004, 01:13 PM
how does she cook/prepare them?

bay_firey
05-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Michael the best way to cook catties

Take 2 medium sized river stones, 1 medium catfish, large boiler and water to 3/4 fill

Bring the water to the boil, add the river stones and catty.
When the stones are soft, discard the catty and eat the stones. ;D ;D ;D

firetruck
06-04-2004, 06:23 AM
I don't know much about the catfish down here in Brissy, but up north (gulf area) the larger Golden catfish (real name???) are eaten by lots of people including myself on a number of occassions. Quite nice :D

goldeneye
06-04-2004, 08:30 AM
the deeper the water in the brissie, the better your chances of a good cattie, if you get hold of one, use it as a livey for a shark!!! ;D ;D ;D

bidkev
06-04-2004, 09:13 AM
how does she cook/prepare them?

Give the fillets a really good rinse to remove the red, then simply barbie 'em in butter for me.......but the missus puts 'em in a casserole dish with tomatoe and onion sliced on top, a knob of butter and salt and peppe,r and microwave's 'em.

kev

SeaHunt
06-04-2004, 11:26 AM
I take it you only have one , so this is the same missus that likes eating stingray flaps and sharks??
Maybe she should start up here own cooking show like Thommo.
My old man used to make us eat freshwater catfish and eels when I was a kid, soaked them in vinegar for about week first (exhaggeration) so they didnt taste like mud.
Speaking of Mud the biggest catties I have seen/caught are over at Mud Island..

jackash
06-04-2004, 02:14 PM
G'day day was pretty awsome. FIrst cast hooked onto an absolutely huge catty, talkin' probably 80-90cm+ stuff here but busted me off, the rest of the day we spent trying to hook into another big one but only ended up catching 30 small ones but boy were they runnin. Then put out the rpawn trap and caught a nice sized crayfish, and had the mother of all mother crayfish sitting ontop of the trap but not wanting to go in. Tried with a live catty but nothing wanted to have a chem on it. Then targeted garfish and caught 32 in an hour and a half. Great fun considering we caught 62 fish all up, fished with anu and fincho.
Cheers,
JAckash.

bidkev
07-04-2004, 08:26 AM
I take it you only have one , so this is the same missus that likes eating stingray flaps and sharks??

Yup! One's enough mate. To make matters worse, her favourite is microwaved mullet.......have you smelt that crap when it's cooked in a microwave.

Maybe she should start up here own cooking show like Thommo.

The first chennel I hit when I landed from the UK was Briz 31 and Thommo was making fly covered damper outside that old camper of his. Peak time viewing and I thought, "bloody hell! What have I got myself into?" :-)

Never looked back though.

My old man used to make us eat freshwater catfish and eels when I was a kid, soaked them in vinegar for about week first (exhaggeration) so they didnt taste like mud.
Speaking of Mud the biggest catties I have seen/caught are over at Mud Island..

True. The number of times I've caught a big one on a full pilly float fished mid water! And don't they take off?! Never caught a big pelagic yet and everytime those big catties hit the floated bait, I think I'm into one, Dispels the myth that they're solely a bottom feeder.

kev

07-04-2004, 12:26 PM
In defence of stringrays flaps and their eating qualities. They are a "hawker stall" delicacy over in Asia (namely Malaysia and Singapore). BBQed asian style in a wet tom yam thai sauce with okra or BBQed dry with a dipping sauce they are absolutely choice! A must try if any of you ever get a chance to get over there. The aussie rays just dont seem to cook as well as the flesh is very moist even when bbq compared to the asian ray flaps which dry up well after being on the BBQ.

delize
08-04-2004, 06:03 AM
breakfast creek is absoultly teeming with catties, caught probably 6 or 7 last weekend the biggest about 1.5kg the smallest about 150g salmon tails and eel tails. also caught a 35cm+ bream. Water doesn't look too great further up but there's heaps of baby mullet, prawns and crabs i've had some good prawn feeds and the occasional crab but i tend to return the fish

mad_keen
08-04-2004, 10:51 AM
"catfish!" = Brissie River....there are alot of these buggers as everyone has already said in the river..
the bay however has produced the bigger ones from my experience...last one was 5kg.....i think they are ugly!!....never tried eating them...and prob never will...haha (unless you didnt tell me :-/)

jewies
08-04-2004, 03:26 PM
where abouts in the river where you fishing ???

jackash
08-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Karana Downs mate, pretty close to Colleges Crossing

Paul_C
08-04-2004, 05:11 PM
I caught a 65cm fork length cattie in the Brisbane river above O'sheay's Crossing (top end of Wivanhoe) thought I had snag at first as I was trolling my way back to where I had launched from, damn thing had dorsel and pectoral spines about 3" long.

Caught thousands of the things when I was a kid in the Brissie river at Fairfield / Dutton Park Cemetary, I used to send them back to their mates after letting a threepenny bunger off in their gobs.

Regards
Paul Cade

vbfosters
08-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey dude! I went to the sunken wall at Pinkenbar on the night of the 5th {full moon}. I floated some pillies and only caught shovel nose ray's and bloody eel's. Same area but on the last new moon, quality squire to 38cm flathead to 55cm 3 muddies to 17cm VB by the 6 pack. Guess what moon phase I will be fishing? Fish only new moon not the fullmoon.

SeaHunt
09-04-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey Paul,
Do you need a Stocked impoundment lisence to fish up there (O'sheay's Crossing) ?

Paul_C
09-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Yep, according to the rangers, Wivanhoe extends up the river to Watts Airfield, that's a coupla K up the river from Osheay's.

It also still comes under the electric only rules of Wivanhoe.

Regards
Paul Cade

delize
14-04-2004, 06:05 AM
i agree